Opinion The Evolution of Your Best 22 for 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Neade will be gone at the end of the year personally.

I really like our current rookie list - I think Lienert and Ladhams will play AFL. Look at Eddy and Houston already elevated. I also think Snelling will be upgraded at the end of the year as well.

i think our absolute best 22 (when all fit) is as follows:

Clurey Austin DBJ
Broady Hombsch Pittard
Polec Boak Ebert
S Gray Dixon Impey
Wingard Eddy Westhoff

Rucks - Ryder, Wines, R Gray
Interchange - Amon, Powell-Pepper, Young, Trengove

This leaves out - Krak, Matt White, Bonner, Houston, Jonas

For this week, i think the team will be as follows:

Clurey Jonas DBJ
Broady Hombsch Houston
Polec Wines Ebert
S Gray Dixon Young
Wingard Eddy Westhoff

Rucks - Ryder, Boak, R Gray
Interchange - Amon, Powell-Pepper, Trengove, Atley

Personally, i wouldnt play Jonas and play Austin instead

Neade's just got too much competition for a spot in the 22 these days - Young, Wingard, R.Gray, S.Gray, Impey, White, Monfries and Amon are all either exclusively small forwards or players who regularly rotate through that position. The fact that Neade is unable to play any other position really hurts his chances of getting a game.

Neade's just got too much competition for a spot in the 22 these days - Young, Wingard, R.Gray, S.Gray, Impey, White, Monfries and Amon are all either exclusively small forwards or players who regularly rotate through that position. The fact that Neade is unable to play any other position really hurts his chances of getting a game.
That and his inability to average anywhere near enough goals or possessions.

Neades numbers stack up to small forwards around his games played.

I still think he has role but I also agree this year is close to his last to step it up.

Does he? Didn't rank in the top 100 players for goals per game in 2016.
I don't know what expect from Neade given our forward line troubles.

But to give you a snapshot.

Betts 40games 39 goals by his 3rd season 59 games 61 goals

Neade currently sits on 51 games for 45 goals.

Young 63 games 51 goals.

Neade left 2 on 1 on numerous occasions, manages to kill the ball or win more times than he loses which he won't get a stat for.

Last edited:
I don't know what expect from Neade given our forward line troubles.

But to give you a snapshot.

Betts 40games 39 goals by his 3rd season 59 games 61 goals

Neade currently sits on 51 games for 45 goals.

Young 63 games 51 goals.

Neade left 2 on 1 on numerous occasions, manages to kill the ball or win more times than he loses which he won't get a stat for.

The Neade is better than the sum of his stats argument. Regardless unlike the others you mentioned I don't see the upside in him. His numbers don't suggest he is building to be anything greater.

The Neade is better than the sum of his stats argument. Regardless unlike the others you mentioned I don't see the upside in him. His numbers don't suggest he is building to be anything greater.
Don't get me wrong, he does need to step up, but he still has time.

He has shown in the past he can contribute, like others he fell away with the team.

Neade is good depth - a guy on little coin that will come in and fill a hole at defensive forward - one of the hardest and most thankless positions on the football field.

He'll never be a star. Not every player has to be.

Neade would be fine if he took his chances. it's in a small forwards job description to make the most of very little he probably doesn't do that. would rather Westhoff 5m out dead in front to win a game than Jake and that should be very simple for a small forward his goal kicking accuracy and kicking penetration really lets him down to the point where i see no spot for him in the team until he fixes that. he's only above average in the defensive nature of the game so he can't afford to be below average anywhere but his possesions and goal kicking is well below.

seems the main reason he gets picked is running patterns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

would rather Westhoff 5m out dead in front to win a game than Jake and that should be very simple for a small forward his goal kicking accuracy and kicking penetration really lets him down to the point where i see no spot for him in the team

I disagree. In his career he has kicked 45(g).21(b) which is pretty good. Wingard has kicked 186.112. Sure you can argue that wingard takes shots that Neade wouldn't even attempt. I don't think there is anything wrong with his goal kicking accuracy though.

My issue with him (and I am a fan of his) is that he doesn't find enough of the ball and passes it off when he should just take a shot. Maybe he knows his limitations but I have seen him pass off some really easy ones, I think it's more probably a lack of confidence, that can be worked on. I hope that this year he earns some opportunities and proves the haters wrong, he's certainly capable.

Jake's goal kicking is certainly not a weakness. His forward entries by foot, and his goal kicking are certainly strengths. Finding a way to apply pressure and get his possession numbers up are his big issue.

Too bigger gap between his best and worst for me to be considered best 22. His best is good enough but is worst is cringe worthy! And he lacks consistency....
I feel like he's had enough chances but if he gets a shot I'm happy to be proven wrong

BillyW on the go....

Jake seemed to be doing a lot of space guarding in JLT3.

Rather, I would like to see him make himself available and demand the ball.

Great skills, and real vision.

I think Neade will be gone at the end of the year personally.

I really like our current rookie list - I think Lienert and Ladhams will play AFL. Look at Eddy and Houston already elevated. I also think Snelling will be upgraded at the end of the year as well.

i think our absolute best 22 (when all fit) is as follows:

Clurey Austin DBJ
Broady Hombsch Pittard
Polec Boak Ebert
S Gray Dixon Impey
Wingard Eddy Westhoff

Rucks - Ryder, Wines, R Gray
Interchange - Amon, Powell-Pepper, Young, Trengove

This leaves out - Krak, Matt White, Bonner, Houston, Jonas

For this week, i think the team will be as follows:

Clurey Jonas DBJ
Broady Hombsch Houston
Polec Wines Ebert
S Gray Dixon Young
Wingard Eddy Westhoff

Rucks - Ryder, Boak, R Gray
Interchange - Amon, Powell-Pepper, Trengove, Atley

Personally, i wouldnt play Jonas and play Austin instead

You seriously don't think Hartlett will play next week or you just forgot about him?

You seriously don't think Hartlett will play next week or you just forgot about him?

Well spotted .. omission on my part mate.

I would have him in for Amon in best 22 and then off half back for Houston next week, with Houston to bench and probably atley dropping out ... good pickup !!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I disagree. In his career he has kicked 45(g).21(b) which is pretty good. Wingard has kicked 186.112. Sure you can argue that wingard takes shots that Neade wouldn't even attempt. I don't think there is anything wrong with his goal kicking accuracy though.

My issue with him (and I am a fan of his) is that he doesn't find enough of the ball and passes it off when he should just take a shot. Maybe he knows his limitations but I have seen him pass off some really easy ones, I think it's more probably a lack of confidence, that can be worked on. I hope that this year he earns some opportunities and proves the haters wrong, he's certainly capable.

Set shots really my only gripe. don't think he delivered under pressure in that respect, he's good in general play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back