Mega Thread The Father-Son Mega thread - 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Doubt any of these guys have actually seen him play. Just making rash assumptions based on the fact there are no real reports of him tearing up the place. One guy says he is not getting BOG every week. The next says he is not that good because he is not getting BOG. The next says he is not up to it. Chinese whispers.

Let's wait and see. If the club think he is worth it, we will take him. We passed on Dear and Curran over recent years. Niether has proved the decision was wrong.
I take no joy in saying that he won't make it. Nothing I would like more than him to be a star. I have been reliably told by someone that 100% knows and watches him every week that he is not and will not be an AFL player. Wish one of these father sons would come through soon

Yes I am. I asked a coach of his and he said he isn't going to be picked up.

That's a strange turn of events. (1) how would the coach know what all clubs are going to do? (2) most coaches have a vested interest, and maybe an obligation, to talk up their player's prospects of being drafted (so what's this guys doing?), and (3) bit harsh for a coach to write off a player two seasons out from the draft.

I'm going to politely suggest that you might have misunderstood, or a least took something said a bit too absolutely.

That's a strange turn of events. (1) how would the coach know what all clubs are going to do? (2) most coaches have a vested interest, and maybe an obligation, to talk up their player's prospects of being drafted (so what's this guys doing?), and (3) bit harsh for a coach to write off a player two seasons out from the draft.

I'm going to politely suggest that you might have misunderstood, or a least took something said a bit too absolutely.
Or maybe he's just nowhere near the standard of players who get drafted and the coach gave an honest answer.

This time last year Jarman Jnr was a superstar. On Hawthorn's Bigfooty board, at least.

I think this is how it starts - I've heard the 4th of Shane Crawford's boys is the pick of the lot in Auskick.

Or maybe he's just nowhere near the standard of players who get drafted and the coach gave an honest answer.

This time last year Jarman Jnr was a superstar. On Hawthorn's Bigfooty board, at least.

I think this is how it starts - I've heard the 4th of Shane Crawford's boys is the pick of the lot in Auskick.

When a kid gets made captain of the Xavier College First XVII footy team it's hardly "pick of the lot in Auskick".

He'd have to be terrible but good point. I heard his 5th, as yet unborn son is even better. ;-)

Rated as a very good prospect, both he and Noah Anderson have had decent reviews on ability. Noah moreso, unfortunately we miss out on him. Can we draft Dean Anderson and play him for 17 games next year? Just plonk him on the bench, we'll play 17 games a rotation down.
Thanks for the report on the boys. I'll see if there is a spare number 8 guernsey floating around. Perhaps Doc could hand it over to Dean for those 17 games! :D

Dear and Curran were much more "known" players having played tac cup etc

James has not impressed this year and all the things I hear is that he is nowhere near it, however, the scrutiny on him is much higher than say will or lachie and no one ever said they they were likely types (in fairness lachie didnt make it but will was possibly further behind than James).

This is one where we really just do need to wait for an official announcement which will probably come around bidding time if not after exams when James works out what he wants to do

James has not impressed this year and all the things I hear is that he is nowhere near it, however, the scrutiny on him is much higher than say will or lachie and no one ever said they they were likely types (in fairness lachie didnt make it but will was possibly further behind than James).

This is one where we really just do need to wait for an official announcement which will probably come around bidding time if not after exams when James works out what he wants to do
Go away (wink) you make to much sense.

Concessions need to be made for the Langfords, because Chris runs very much a study first and football later household. It'll likely only cost us our last rookie pick, so why not grab him?

Can't understand why every year people get obsessed with picking up father sons who are no good. There is nothing to suggest that this Langford is even as good as Lachie and he was terrible.

Because there is goodwill to past players and supporters, and how much are you losing by having them rookie listed for a couple of years.

How many of his games have you watched?

I know this bloke who was told he was too small and too slow and as a result got overlooked by all 16 teams including us. I think 4 premierships, a brownlow medal and over 300 games say's otherwise.

Not saying Langford will come any near close what Mitchell achieved, but it's amazing how many stories there have been in the AFL of blokes who were written off early but proved otherwise. Then you have guys like Poppy who for years never even got a look in as junior and was probably pretty much consigned the the fact he'd spend the rest of his playing days in the SANFL. We eventually took a punt and look how that turned out.

I'm very much happy for the club to continue to keep an eye on him and see how he develops and leave the call up to them.

I am patiently waiting for the Karma Bus, which will arrive sooner rather than later.
Unfortunately, the AFL removed the stop outside of Waverley Park some time ago.

Could be one of the reasons we are moving to Dingley ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know this bloke who was told he was too small and too slow and as a result got overlooked by all 16 teams including us. I think 4 premierships, a brownlow medal and over 300 games say's otherwise.
There are millions of other blokes who were too small / too slow / no good and as a result got overlooked by every team also.

It's somewhat ironic that the young Jarman had super wraps on him while he was a few years underage.

Youngest Langford had wraps on him while he was underage.

Now we get to the starting line for AFL and Jarman seems to be a marginal, small player, and the most promising Langford, is not promising so much (in a footy sense, his academic achievement(s) and future sounds promising).

Whatever magic exists at the HFC doesn't seem transferable via genes.

B. Jarman was a gun U16 player, but didn't really grow and his speed didn't develop thereafter. It's not unusual for an U16 gun to not develop into an U18 gun.

When he was younger not sure he was advised to work on a few areas that he is now a long way behind in. With the 'people' he had around him, you'd think they would have helped him be better prepared.

Got more word today that langford is dead set on being a doctor, not interested in football. Sauce also was very surprised that he was named bog from what he saw last week.

CJ (jiath) is not injured just rested before the combine didnt want to get injured in meaningless games. This guy loves him every 2nd word he says about him is freak freak freak

Got more word today that langford is dead set on being a doctor, not interested in football. Sauce also was very surprised that he was named bog from what he saw last week.

CJ (jiath) is not injured just rested before the combine didnt want to get injured in meaningless games. This guy loves him every 2nd word he says about him is freak freak freak

We've had doctors before, e.g. Terry Gay, who's now a cardiologist.

So Dr James Langford, midfielder.

I think you will find it's quite obvious to all that when a player doesn't play TAC Cup or National Championships that they rarely get drafted. 77 players got drafted last year and all Victorians that got drafted as 18 year olds came out of the TAC Cup. Langford is simply not a star underage footy player. From all reports he's an intelligent kid with a bright future thats not in footy. Good luck to him but he will not be playing AFL footy

I think you will find it's quite obvious to all that when a player doesn't play TAC Cup or National Championships that they rarely get drafted. 77 players got drafted last year and all Victorians that got drafted as 18 year olds came out of the TAC Cup. Langford is simply not a star underage footy player. From all reports he's an intelligent kid with a bright future thats not in footy. Good luck to him but he will not be playing AFL footy
Hanrahan didn't play TAC but we picked him up in the rookie draft. I'd imagine that if James did nominate for the draft, he'd go late rookie.

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https://www.facebook.com/FutureStarsTV/videos/1840130602670850/&show_text=0&width=560
Plough mentions all of , Todd garner, Finn macguiness and rates Noah Anderson as the number one talent in the 2019 Draft !! HFC better be pressuring the AFL to lowering the games played, eligibility for f/s

Interesting that Shane Crawford helped out with a girls football team, the star play, Finn McGuiness' sister.
Good bloodlines from that family, the new Kennedy clan??

Interesting that Shane Crawford helped out with a girls football team, the star play, Finn McGuiness' sister.
Good bloodlines from that family, the new Kennedy clan??
I certainly hope Finn comes on , and ends up a talent.
Surely 83 games and 2 premierships is romantic enough to qualify for a f/s ?

I take no joy in saying that he won't make it. Nothing I would like more than him to be a star. I have been reliably told by someone that 100% knows and watches him every week that he is not and will not be an AFL player. Wish one of these father sons would come through soon

We're going to have to wait for either or all of Crawf's, Burgers and Hodgey's boys to come through. Surely at least one of them can play!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back