Review The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Round 11 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Special talent is way over the top.
You can definitely see he has some X factor about him but overall his output isn't very good.
Would of went goalless in six or seven games last year and some very low disposal counts.
His best game was against the Saints but even then he also made some errors.
His job is to hit the scoreboard and make some goals out of nothing and his not doing it near enough.
There's a definite chance of improvement but yeah being called a special talent now is too much.
He showed enough last year to warrant another go round in the role this season. Although his place certainly shouldn't feel buckled in. Like you said he needs to lift his output and consistency a good amount. We desperately need a quality crumbing forward to break through, and that's even if Motlop is stationed permanently forward. Our firepower when the ball hits the deck has been in decline over the past few years.

Fair enough I carried away at the end with the premiership analogies you were using I took them out of context.

I got carried away with this

I think this is where i got confused

" I am saying its not a 'problem' having the best 1-2 mid combo but if you listen to any media pundit or poster on this board it apparently is"

" we aren't the first club to be reliant on a power mid combo"

I took that out of context then I just didn't think those examples Haw, Bris, W.C were similar as they had incredible depth.

Yeah I just got confused as to the reason behind taking danger and sel out of our side. And saying we would obviously be worse off
Then comparing and taking those premiership combos out of the other sides. And saying they would also struggle without these guys.

So I assume you meant all these other teams were just as reliant on the top two players as we were. This season and if they were out they would struggle or be reliant on two gun players just the same as GFC 2016.

Where I got confused was they were playing so I got stuck on the over reliance point and I missed the metaphor involved

Mis understanding I just got confused its my fault
Good day
All good. Despite the confusion, we agree to disagree. Cheers.

Well, we will need to agree to disagree, because I think the above is a poor argument. There are only so many contested situations and clearances in a game of football, and your best mids will win those. Hence Selwood and Dangerfield getting so much more of the ball. And it isn't really a simple matter of 'sharing it around', as that might not be the best option play by play, and/or it may well lead to over-possessing.

But that's not my main point. If you take Selwood and Dangerfield out of our side we aren't as good. No argument there. But this isn't a 'problem' specific to Geelong. Take the best two mids out of any premiership side and you probably don't have a premiership side. Do you think WCE would have won in 06 without Cousin and Judd? How would Hawthorn have gone in 13-15 without Hodge and Mitchell? Take Voss and Black out of Brisbane's 2001 side?

Just thought I would post this just for your eyes spreading the load such a bad idea

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-22/dangerwoods-move-up-forward-will-help-the-side

So if the mods would allow it, I would like to keep this running for the year..
We can then assess it as we go, see what changes etc etc

Round 1 Edition
Good - Our willingness to move the ball quick was really impressive for me, make us look so much more dangerous and effective as well
Bad - Hard to have a bad after last nights game, being brutal but Harry had a scrappy shocker and looked bloody awful at times
The Ugly - Scott Selwood, still no sign of him, still no word from the club and apparently on KRock today he mentioned rd 4... we have gone from a minor thing to now being almost 2 months

Like it.
Good/Great: Even spread in the midfield & Duncan leading the way.
Movement of the ball.
Players that we thought we'd lost in GHS & Murdoch might still have something to offer.
Bad: That Hawkins/Dawson umpiring decision.
Not many Fuglys

Good: a whole team effort and seeing the guys enjoying themselves during the last quarter. And when I say enjoying themselves I don't mean showboating/showing off, but rather they looked took be having fun and hopefully that is something we see across the remainder of the season.

Bad: Cockatoo's injury, that sucks.

Ugly: unselfishness in front of goal. If you are going to pass to a teammates then make sure it's a great kick, otherwise being some selfishness in front of goal

Last edited:
otherwise being some selfishness in front of goal

s-l1000.jpg

Good: Hawkins at CHF. My sig all summer implored us to #banthebombtoHawk and #HawktoCHF. Combined with quicker ball movement and ferocious tackling it made for a much better forward mix.

Bad: I know others disagree but Josh Cowan was fumbly, loose and ineffective. I don't see anything in him.

Ugly: Harry Taylor. End the forward experiment now. Let's salvage what little left he has as a defender. Plonk a ruckman in the goalsquare instead.

Good: Hawkins at CHF. My sig all summer implored us to #banthebombtoHawk and #HawktoCHF. Combined with quicker ball movement and ferocious tackling it made for a much better forward mix.

Bad: I know others disagree but Josh Cowan was fumbly, loose and ineffective. I don't see anything in him.

Ugly: Harry Taylor. End the forward experiment now. Let's salvage what little left he has as a defender. Plonk a ruckman in the goalsquare instead.
Echoed my sentiments perfectly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good: Mitch Duncan
Bad: Harry Taylor
Ugly: Fremantle as a side, will struggle to improve that much on last year. Wonder where Fyfe will end up.
Clarko saying this week I believe that the Hawks could have kept both Mitchel and Lewis for this year in their cap would make them strong contenders.

Good: Lots of things - Hawkins at CHF, four quarter team effort, players in their proper positions to much better effect (Horlin-Smith in the centre square, Murdoch up forward), and Duncan brilliant.
Bad: Not that much. Thought Thurlow struggled, he proved that it takes time to recover from missing a year of football, and he is far from established in the team as we like to think.
Ugly: Harry Taylor. Can't see him working as a key forward, and a large brick wall might be looming up faster than we thought.

I know Nakia has a thumb injury, very frustrating.

I just wanted to say I thought his bullet passes were pretty impressive. Has a lot of upside this kid.

So if the mods would allow it, I would like to keep this running for the year..
We can then assess it as we go, see what changes etc etc

Round 1 Edition
Good - Our willingness to move the ball quick was really impressive for me, make us look so much more dangerous and effective as well
Bad - Hard to have a bad after last nights game, being brutal but Harry had a scrappy shocker and looked bloody awful at times
The Ugly - Scott Selwood, still no sign of him, still no word from the club and apparently on KRock today he mentioned rd 4... we have gone from a minor thing to now being almost 2 months

The trouble with GB&U is that there are two negatives for the one positive.
For me..
The good was goals.
The bad was the injury to Cocky
The ugly was the push of Ruggles over the fence and we probably did the right thing keeping cool but that deserved a full blown retaliatory action, if not onfield then off field. Reckless from Walters , could have cause who knows what.

Good : Fast ball movement , Hawk at CHF , overall midfield contribution , quality of ball entry into F50 , well balanced defence with 2 talls , tackling and pressure 1st class , played tempo at the right time to stop Freo momentum , Blics playing 2nd ruck to Stanley and no extra tall (Smith)
Bad : Nakia injury , Thurlow performance but confident he will get better , Linc retaliation and free reversal
Ugly : 1/2 time melee , Freo crowd - nothing different though !
Work in Progress : 2nd tall in forwardline , c'mon Harry

Awesome : ball movement in tight AND in space. Tommy Hawkins mobility.
Good : forwardline functioning well, backline form and midfield spread.
Bad : Finding spots for Guthrie, Smith, Menegola and Lang.
Ugly : Cocky injury. Scuffle that lead to a Hill goal which could have sparked some emotion And momentum for the Ferals.

Going to be a different vibe this week me thinks...

Good: fighting it out and getting the 4 points when we really didn't deserve them
Bad: Our lack of pressure/tackling in the 1st half... was more intent during the auskick
Ugly: Josh Cowan - get out

Going to be a different vibe this week me thinks...

Good: fighting it out and getting the 4 points when we really didn't deserve them
Bad: Our lack of pressure/tackling in the 1st half... was more intent during the auskick
Ugly: Josh Cowan - get out
Hard to deviate from that.

Good: GHS with nerves of steel and that we never gave up during the first 3 quartets

Bad: our first 3 quarters

Ugly: the knee in Thurlow's back from Preuss. Nothing strong or brave about that and I'd hate to see a Geelong player do something similar

Remove this Banner Ad

Back