Review The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Round 11 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Good: Great win, really exciting at the end.
Bad: Intensity so up and down. No other team like us.
Ugly: McCarthy not only poor but 0 tackles. Shocking effort.
Motlop.
Cowan.
Thurlow

Good: Two dominant forwards. Menzel is playing sublime footy, and Hawkins' second half yesterday was enormous. If he puts together 4 quarters like that he will kick a huge haul at some point.

Bad: Tackling. F*cking atrocious for the first half and part of the second.

Ugly: some of the guys who literally added nothing yesterday. We know who they are. If you can't get your hands on the ball and contribute, and no player can ALWAYS be influential in terms of possessions, then bust yourself making contests or tackling.

Good : Great escape , Selwoods leadership , Dangerwoods last 1/4 , Tommy with 4 to back up last weeks 3 , Menz - what a star - does he ever drop a mark?
Bad : Too many went backwards from last week , intensity missing in large potions of the game , forward pressure for most of the game poor
Ugly - Preuss knee , Thompsons elbow, Stanley getting banged up again

The good: managed to get the four points.
The bad: tackle count very poor.
The ugly: the meltdowns on this board after round two, and we're 2-0!

The Good: I had 2 obvious ones, but settling on 1 I can't go past Dan Menzel... he is just an incredible talent, and an incredible story. At key moments today he literally kept us in the game. Lethal around goal, but christ his hands are impressive as well.
Words don't do justice for the admiration I have for the fella.

The Bad: Our over handballing when under pressure is a real worry, we hot potato it far too often when the heat goes on

The Ugly: It took them missing again and again and again..AND the best ruckman in the comp going down for us to win... when we look bad, we look bloody putrid

Good: Parfitt, the kid is going to be a gem and his third quarter was massive. I love his attack at the ball and that he continued to stay involved today

Bad: our lack of centre clearances in the first half but more so our in ability to stop them at clearances.

Ugly: fans around me. There is no need to be using the 'c' word at the football, especially with children around. But also, they continued to bitch and moan all match about kicking it long and then they'd complain when we kicked it long and had no one on the end of the kick.

My view:

better than it looked. A crappy game that was made that way by the intense defensive gut running tackling Melbourne side. And you know what you get when you do that? Lots and lots of points! Legs turn to rubber when lining up when you have a shovel full of lactic acid sloshing around your calf muscles.

Gawn off in the second half made little difference. Our rucks and midfield were completely unable to take advantage until the game was over. Kudus to Melb for their strategy there. Bricks to us for not being able to get past that.

We have played 3 intense games in a row, and each side we have played crumbles the next week. Good sign.

The Good: I had 2 obvious ones, but settling on 1 I can't go past Dan Menzel... he is just an incredible talent, and an incredible story. At key moments today he literally kept us in the game. Lethal around goal, but christ his hands are impressive as well.
Words don't do justice for the admiration I have for the fella.

The Bad: Our over handballing when under pressure is a real worry, we hot potato it far too often when the heat goes on

The Ugly: It took them missing again and again and again..AND the best ruckman in the comp going down for us to win... when we look bad, we look bloody putrid

There was no point in that 2nd qtr when they were absolutely dominating us that I felt that Gawn was the difference. IMO the game goes the same way with or without that injury. If they kicked straight though we probably don't get up

I'm inserting a "Great" category this week.

Great: Daniel Menzel. I don't know if the cameras were showing it but the guy is playing through pain and against every instinct to throw in the towel. But the talent is shining through and he knows it. Superb.

Good: the Ps - Parfitt and Parsons. Parfitt's composure is ridiculous for an 18 year old. Really had an influence with AND without the ball (take note Darcy Lang et al). Parsons made a few blues but looks to have some nice skills and determination.

Bad: The skills around stoppages. Most fumbly I can remember and Melbourne continually pounced on it. Lucky they didn't punish us on the scoreboard in that 2nd term or it would have been much more of a battle.

Ugly: That 2nd quarter. Once again mentally switched off and we nearly got put to the sword because of it. We must really get on top of these demons (pun intended).

Just a thought - could each round have it's own good/bad/ugly thread without them being all joined together? I like dipping into the thread after our game each week and I'd find it immensely more pleasureable if I could read each week's instalment from page 1 instead of not knowing how many pages have to go back just to read the first post of round 3.

I know there's usually no point complaining coz nobody listens anyway but c'monnnn. I'm walkin' here!;)

Just a thought - could each round have it's own good/bad/ugly thread without them being all joined together? I like dipping into the thread after our game each week and I'd find it immensely more pleasureable if I could read each week's instalment from page 1 instead of not knowing how many pages have to go back just to read the first post of round 3.

I know there's usually no point complaining coz nobody listens anyway but c'monnnn. I'm walkin' here!;)
If you click on a thread title it will take you to the last unread post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe the first post of the thread could be edited to include a link to the first post for each round

Maybe the first post of the thread could be edited to include a link to the first post for each round
was going to suggest just that.

Go Catters

Could I motion to have the thread title and subject be "The Great, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly".
Evens it up nicely IMO.
As long as you give me due credit. :D

Could I motion to have the thread title and subject be "The Great, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly".
Evens it up nicely IMO.
No :D

The creative people will find a way to fit 2 positives in.. maybe 3 sometimes

Ugly: fans around me. There is no need to be using the 'c' word at the football, especially with children around. But also, they continued to bitch and moan all match about kicking it long and then they'd complain when we kicked it long and had no one on the end of the kick.
Totally agree with all of this. I was sat behind a bunch of primary school girls today and it was a great pleasure to not have to listen to supposed adults screaming about how umpires "don't know the rules", players should "just bloody kick it" and then "why did you bomb it straight to him".

Good: the Ps - Parfitt and Parsons. Parfitt's composure is ridiculous for an 18 year old. Really had an influence with AND without the ball (take note Darcy Lang et al). Parsons made a few blues but looks to have some nice skills and determination.
The guts to take on the bloke on the mark early in the game was terrific. Never panicked, just excellent.
Bad: The skills around stoppages. Most fumbly I can remember and Melbourne continually pounced on it. Lucky they didn't punish us on the scoreboard in that 2nd term or it would have been much more of a battle.
Agree - and that's where our lack of depth is an issue, we just didn't have enough one-grab players in the clinches. Didn't help that we didn't seem to get our spacing right - usually far too close.

I thought it would be easier to follow 1 thread, rather than having 23 threads 2 pages long :(

There was no point in that 2nd qtr when they were absolutely dominating us that I felt that Gawn was the difference. IMO the game goes the same way with or without that injury. If they kicked straight though we probably don't get up
The Gawn impact was felt more as the game went on IMO, and the domino effect of Watts having to ruck the whole 2nd half etc etc.

The Gawn impact was felt more as the game went on IMO, and the domino effect of Watts having to ruck the whole 2nd half etc etc.

Tend to agree.
At the time he went off Smith was beating him however you felt Gawn would have eventually taken control.
On top of that Watts continues to play forward and maybe some of those misses turn into goals.

Tend to agree.
At the time he went off Smith was beating him however you felt Gawn would have eventually taken control.
On top of that Watts continues to play forward and maybe some of those misses turn into goals.
I think it did tell in the last quarter, when we were finally able to turn our first-possession dominance into clean clearances. Watts did hurt us around the ground, though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back