Review The Grand Final Disaster of 2017.

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay, I know these rumours aren't new but I heard second hand from someone inside the club that they are completely true. 1. The senior players did request that Lever be dropped for the finals. 2. Half time of the GF Lever punched Tex, Tex punched back and broke a metatarsal. And someone reported the kerfuffle to the Richmond players in their rooms, so they knew we were imploding.
They are new to me! Surely that has to be bogus, why would Lever punch Tex? And weren’t the Richmond players commenting we were arguing as we left the ground?

Okay, I know these rumours aren't new but I heard second hand from someone inside the club that they are completely true. 1. The senior players did request that Lever be dropped for the finals. 2. Half time of the GF Lever punched Tex, Tex punched back and broke a metatarsal. And someone reported the kerfuffle to the Richmond players in their rooms, so they knew we were imploding.
Finally Bickley's fart will be relegated to only the 2nd most important match-losing incident during a finals break

If this is true then playing Lever through the finals series was a disaster. Pity we didn’t give Doedee a crack during the year so we had another viable option come finals.

When we are faced with the same again would we act differently?

If this is true then playing Lever through the finals series was a disaster. Pity we didn’t give Doedee a crack during the year so we had another viable option come finals.

When we are faced with the same again would we act differently?

Usually, no.

I call this serious BS. Here are my reasons:
1. How would Richmond players know we had a supposed kerfuffle at half-time? Are we implying there is a spy amongst the Crows inner sanctum?
2. How would anyone know if Tex supposed punching Lever caused a broken metatarsal? Couldn't an injured foot be caused during in-game kicking/running? A scan after the game only tells the status of an injury, not when exactly it happened.
3. Punching someone can cause broken metacarpal (hand bone), not broken metatarsal (foot bone).

That's like me making wild allegations that I heard Martin and Cotchin were French kissing each other during half-time. The Crows knew about it, and thought the Tigers were imploding and took their foot off the pedal. And that was why we lost.

Last edited:
1. How would Richmond players know we had a supposed kerfuffle at half-time? Are we implying there is a spy amongst the Crows inner sanctum?
2. How would anyone know if Tex supposed punching Lever caused a broken metatarsal? Couldn't an injured foot be caused during in-game kicking/running? A scan after the game only tells the status of an injury, not when exactly it happened.
3. Punching someone can cause broken metacarpal (hand bone), not broken metatarsal (foot bone).

That's like me making wild allegations that I heard Martin and Cotchin were French kissing each other during half-time. The Crows knew about it, and thought the Tigers were imploding and took their foot off the pedal. And that was why we lost.

It’s absolute crap. Imagine a player at half-time of a GF punching their Captain let alone another player. Biggest bunch of horse shite ever.

Okay...metacarpal, obviously. Not up on my small bones.

As for you calling it BS...good for you. I'm telling you what I was told. Source is inside the club.

I might add, this is only the second piece of info I have ever received and shared. My first, which also got called out as rubbish by the usual know-it-alls on here was that Lever was fielding big offers from Melbourne clubs and was simply choosing which one to take. That came via his brother to someone I know locally. End result was pretty consistent with that story.

We'll see whether this one gets revealed in time as being true.

They are new to me! Surely that has to be bogus, why would Lever punch Tex? And weren’t the Richmond players commenting we were arguing as we left the ground?
The rumours I heard (on here I thought, but maybe somewhere else) were about asking for Lever not to play and some sort of altercation in the rooms involving Lever. What I was told seems to independently corroborate that and add a couple of details. Obviously not able to say if it's true or not but the person who told me has no reason to lie.

Okay...metacarpal, obviously. Not up on my small bones.

As for you calling it BS...good for you. I'm telling you what I was told. Source is inside the club.

I might add, this is only the second piece of info I have ever received and shared. My first, which also got called out as rubbish by the usual know-it-alls on here was that Lever was fielding big offers from Melbourne clubs and was simply choosing which one to take. That came via his brother to someone I know locally. End result was pretty consistent with that story.

We'll see whether this one gets revealed in time as being true.
I'm not calling you BS, just the origin of the rumours surrounding your statement BS. There might be some element of truth to the rumour, but some of it seems a little ludicrous. In particular, how would anyone know if Tex's supposed broken metacarpal was from the punch to Lever? Couldn't it be due to Tex punching a wall? Or punching a locker? Or anything else solid?

You said we didn't gain a hard edge until later in the year and I offered examples of how you're mistaken.

You're about as rational as an eagle trying to hunt sperm whales

Righto. You can beat teams without a hard edge. It wasn't until we played Geelong at AO that we started to show a hard edge as we needed to if we wanted to defeat them as they'd owned us. We held thst for a while but it clearly wasn't there in the gf. You should stop mouthing off like a w***er.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The rumours I heard (on here I thought, but maybe somewhere else) were about asking for Lever not to play and some sort of altercation in the rooms involving Lever. What I was told seems to independently corroborate that and add a couple of details. Obviously not able to say if it's true or not but the person who told me has no reason to lie.
Well if they are true I am astounded and completely shocked. Punched the captain ? I've never seen any footage of us arguing amongst ourselves at half time, or did I miss that thread ? Surely there would be camera footage of the rooms , unless it happened where the coach gives the address, which is often off limits to a camera crew.

In particular, how would anyone know if Tex's supposed broken metacarpal was from the punch to Lever? Couldn't it be due to Tex punching a wall? Or punching a locker? Or anything else solid?
Well clearly, 'anyone' like me for instance wouldn't know. Someone who was there or closely connected might. You understand that's how this sort of info works, right?

Well if they are true I am astounded and completely shocked. Punched the captain ? I've never seen any footage of us arguing amongst ourselves at half time, or did I miss that thread ? Surely there would be camera footage of the rooms , unless it happened where the coach gives the address, which is often off limits to a camera crew.
I agree, utterly shocking. As is the idea of the captain retaliating. Or provoking it in the first place, especially in the middle of a GF. But it would hardly be the first punch up between team mates to have occurred.

Well clearly, 'anyone' like me for instance wouldn't know. Someone who was there or closely connected might. You understand that's how this sort of info works, right?
I'm trying to make a point in logic, nothing to do with opinion. Unless Tex punched Lever, felt extreme pain then immediately went to do an Xray during halftime, this would be the ONLY way for anyone to know if the supposed kerfuffle caused a broken metacarpal.

I'm trying to make a point in logic, nothing to do with opinion. Unless Tex punched Lever, felt extreme pain then immediately went to do an Xray during halftime, this would be the ONLY way for anyone to know if the supposed kerfuffle caused a broken metacarpal.

Don’t be stupid. If it were true Tex would himself know

Have you never played sport?

There is no logical flaw in this story, factual flaws maybe, but not logical ones

Don’t be stupid. If it were true Tex would himself know

Have you never played sport?

There is no logical flaw in this story, factual flaws maybe, but not logical ones
Sanders, I've given you plenty of tolerance so now I'm going to call you out for your stupid arrogance as a "forum expert".
In a boxing match with punches thrown around, would a boxer know exactly which round he sustained a broken bone, if after the match an Xray confirmed a fracture? Similarly, if after an AFL game an XRay confirmed a hand fracture, can an AFL player know exactly when he sustained the broken bone? Bearing in mind he's likely to get multiple hits from defenders during marking contests, and he might be doing some ball fisting, and possibly punching walls and lockers also.

Sanders, I've given you plenty of tolerance so now I'm going to call you out for your stupid arrogance as a "forum expert".
In a boxing match with punches thrown around, would a boxer know exactly which round he sustained a broken bone, if after the match an Xray confirmed a fracture? Similarly, if after an AFL game an XRay confirmed a hand fracture, can an AFL player know exactly when he sustained the broken bone? Bearing in mind he's likely to get multiple hits from defenders during marking contests, and he might be doing some ball fisting, and possibly punching walls and lockers also.
Now you are being silly. Firstly how do you know he even punched a wall or locker? If he didn’t but he did punch Lever, which I still can’t comprehend and then once he did, he felt pain, it’s pretty obvious where the injury was sustained.

ooooh. anything but that :p

As usual a long winded ramble that makes little sense.

I agree, utterly shocking. As is the idea of the captain retaliating. Or provoking it in the first place, especially in the middle of a GF. But it would hardly be the first punch up between team mates to have occurred.

Any happen in the rooms at half-time of a Grand Final? Punch up between teammates usually occur in the field in scratch matches.

Righto. You can beat teams without a hard edge. It wasn't until we played Geelong at AO that we started to show a hard edge as we needed to if we wanted to defeat them as they'd owned us. We held thst for a while but it clearly wasn't there in the gf. You should stop mouthing off like a ******.

I don't see the point of us fighting like this
our hard edge is what made gws take short steps in round 1. This is reality that same hard edge saw us win the first showdown. There was a plethora of factors that contributed to gf losd. The main was Richmond clicked in the finals. Played on the g every week had few injuries. The weather suited them and stifled our spread

We shouldn't fight over stories in the press

I'm not calling you BS, just the origin of the rumours surrounding your statement BS. There might be some element of truth to the rumour, but some of it seems a little ludicrous. In particular, how would anyone know if Tex's supposed broken metacarpal was from the punch to Lever? Couldn't it be due to Tex punching a wall? Or punching a locker? Or anything else solid?

And if Tex punched Lever hard enough to break his hand, then where was the damage to Lever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back