Opinion The Hawkins Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: the Tom Hawkins review thread

Ripping mark. great acting for a poster. had a good game i thought.

i thought towards the end of the season he really showed maturity in the way he played, alot more steady and reliable infront of goal, you can see that confidence is growing rapidly in the young man, something he has never really had.

in the preliminary final and today, he showed fantastic poise under pressure infront of the goals.

hopefully he can have a big pre season and with even more confidence from the finals series, he can kick 50-65 goals next season.

i think for us to win the flag next season, Tom Hawkins must take his game to the next level

Only his 3rd year and coming along nicely.

Stood up as much as could be expected in the finals.

Probably not suited to the modern game and may becoming a pinch hitting Ruckman/Forward.

his prelim and grand final effort were superb. i expect him to hold more marks in front throughout next season and for his goal:behind ratio to improve. he is built like an ox, i think he will go down the path of a barry hall/lockett type player. if he struggle to finds goals, just move him to the ruck.

kicked a very very very important goal. would st nick have kicked it? no

Rwiewoldt is a million times better play than """TOMAHAWK""". What are you going on about that he had a good season and a great game geelong supporters are saying in other threads he had about 5 touches.

Rwiewoldt is a million times better play than """TOMAHAWK""". What are you going on about that he had a good season and a great game geelong supporters are saying in other threads he had about 5 touches.

well "TOMAHAWK" did alright against your mob a week ago. Go enjoy your extended pre-season.. again.

Bad luck about the prelim mate.

GEELONG PREMIERS 2009.

Tomahawk - premiership player

Riewoldt - great player, not a premiership player.

Thats all I've got to say on the matter.

I think he really picked up his game after the middle of the season and started to use his bulk and strength better. Has become more defensive and another preseason under his belt will help him improve more. The kid shows promise but as we know big blokes always take a while to develop.

Today was tough conditions for big blokes and he did a decent job. Riewoldt is definitely a better player than Tom at the moment. These blokes are at different stages of their careers as footballers. So that is a no brainer really.

I would like to see him get 50+ goals next year as certainly Mooneys career is coming to an end in the next year or two. So he needs to keep developing so he can become our number 1 tall forward when Moons goes.

Get over yourself mate. Dont compare Hawkins to St Nick.

Now now, no need for the attitude.

Give Hawkins a few years and make the comparison when he's played as much as Nick... I reckon the young lad tomahawk will be streets ahead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

people question tom hawkins frame, whether he can ever be a top player because he is what they consider "lumbering", this is absolutely rediculous, people seem to believe that key position forwards must be athletic fast and mobile to be good, this is all because of Lance Franklin kicking 100 goals, it isnt the case at all.

When you have one of the biggest jumps in the AFL and are 197cm tall with hands like hawkins has, you only need to get a cm or so infront of your defender to take the grab.

as for his size, i think he is far from physically filling himself out, most of what hawkins has at the moment is his natural frame, hes always had a very natural solid frame, i have seen pictures of him from year 9, and he looks no different to when he first arrived at geelong, the majority of it is natural build.

you can see this for yourself, he is a massive lad, but his body lacks tone and real muscle bulk, look at players like riewoldt and roughhead, and you will see they have fully broadened out their frame with muscles bulging, hawkins doesnt have this yet, i believe he is still to get much stronger and even trim down a little more.

his third year is spot on similar to how nathan abletts was, both kicked 34 goals exactly in their third season of AFL.

Premierships: Tomahawk 1, Llama-boy 0
Contribution towards said premierships: Tomahawk 1, Bill the alpaca 0.

CASE CLOSED!!!

Has his doubters as the comparisons mount up......this is the issue. Comparing him now to gun players is ridiculous. Let him be the player he want to be. In an interview recently he didn't think this caper was going to be that tough. Coming from schoolboy games to the AFL, kicking 5 on debut, he thought it would be easy, therefore, didn't put much effort into training; especially keeping his weight under control.

That view has changed. From there we have seen a more consistent and team player in Hawkins. His deft touches in the Pies games, where he tapped to players in space to create goals, was the sort of thing he is getting better at.

I think he'll definitely improve, his heart and mind is in it now and knows what he has to do. Looking forward to a great 2010 from Hawkins, around the 50 goals could be a reality.

Re: What now for Hawkins?

Worst game yet. Told you playing with him was playing like a man short. ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC!!!
Bomber costs us the game by keeping this useless hack out there. Just like he had faith in another under performer in Stokes in last years GF. Play the guys that deserve a game! Tommahack isn't what you all think he'll be, he's overhyped garbage!
Two flags down the drain in two years if Bomber keeps this trash up.

:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back