Opinion The Hawkins Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Like I said with Byrnes, when he needed to kick the most important goal of his life. He did in the Grand Final.

That's all I care about.

Go TOMMAHAWK! - Bicep Flex ftw! :D:thumbsu:

Re: the Tom Hawkins review thread

people question tom hawkins frame, whether he can ever be a top player because he is what they consider "lumbering", this is absolutely rediculous, people seem to believe that key position forwards must be athletic fast and mobile to be good, this is all because of Lance Franklin kicking 100 goals, it isnt the case at all.

When you have one of the biggest jumps in the AFL and are 197cm tall with hands like hawkins has, you only need to get a cm or so infront of your defender to take the grab.

as for his size, i think he is far from physically filling himself out, most of what hawkins has at the moment is his natural frame, hes always had a very natural solid frame, i have seen pictures of him from year 9, and he looks no different to when he first arrived at geelong, the majority of it is natural build.

you can see this for yourself, he is a massive lad, but his body lacks tone and real muscle bulk, look at players like riewoldt and roughhead, and you will see they have fully broadened out their frame with muscles bulging, hawkins doesnt have this yet, i believe he is still to get much stronger and even trim down a little more.

his third year is spot on similar to how nathan abletts was, both kicked 34 goals exactly in their third season of AFL.
my point was Hawkins does not play a game suited to using that frame. He has the deft touch and finesse, a little like Mumford, really good when the ball is on the ground, and with his hands. Finesse and deflections to teammates. Shows alot of awareness and peripheral vision to tap the ball. I think he lacks agility. A little like the the Richmond Reiwoldt, he can really jump vertically, as seen by his win in the APS highjump, over 2 metres I believe. Also shows alot of body coordination to jump over 2 metres when he was 17 with around 95kgs.

He has a great frame, but would be better suited to playing lighter with greater agility.

Bad luck about the prelim mate.

GEELONG PREMIERS 2009.

Tomahawk - premiership player

Riewoldt - great player, not a premiership player.

Thats all I've got to say on the matter.
This isnt about how good his team is, its about good of a player he is.

Someone at the club needs to sit down with Tommahawk when the boys return in 6 weeks and stress how important it is that he gets back on the bike and applies himself with 2010 in mind.

Considering that he was in a moon boot as late as January this year, the next 6 months represent an opporunity to build immeasurably on strength and fitness, as they will effectively be his first complete preseason. It would be a shame if he partied too hard and took it all for granted, as I feel that his development will be the single biggest determinent in the quest to maintain or improve our recent output.

2 goals and 2 goals assists. As I said, you must have missed the game if you thought he was no good. Or else you're a massive arse bandit who can't tell a good game from a set of false teeth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

his third year is spot on similar to how nathan abletts was, both kicked 34 goals exactly in their third season of AFL.

Riewoldt played every game in his third year and kicked 30 goals. Jonathan Brown played 19 games in his third year for 14 goals.

Hawkins has 59 goals from 43 games so far, including 34 from 24 this year. His average goals per game over his first three years is higher than either Riewoldt or Brown over the equivalent period.

I'm pretty happy with young Tommy's progress.

i LOVE hawkins :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

my friend jen thinks he is possibly the hottest man of all time. i lean to jimmy, but he would be a close second.

watching him so excited getting his medal was amazing. and that goal last quarter! pressure? nah, i think he will just smash it through the middle from 45 out :D

The amount he has advanced even just from the start of the year is amazing. I am a lot more confident in his ability to apply forward pressure, take good marks and most importantly kick goals. I think he very well may take complete charge in our forward line next year. If our midfield and that play like they have this year to supply the ball forward enough i would have Hawkins down to kick over 50 goals next year. Although i guess maybe that is a bit premature. Will just have to wait to see how it works out when pre-season rolls around.

I reckon his last two games were terrific, particularly given he played on quality opponents both times. He was showing signs earlier as well. A bit of Maxy and a bit of Moons rubbing off on him in the way he approaches the game.

Dean Laidley noted that in the first half of the GF Hawkins was the player involved in most of our scoring chains.

Someone mentioned his agility, I've described him as the biggest crumber in the AFL. He's starting to put everything else together as well.

He's had some quiet games (but who hasn't) but I am really looking forward to his 2010. If he can kick 50 goals I'll be ecstatic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back