Training The house is coming down - it's training time!

Remove this Banner Ad

That made me laugh.

Seriously though, as someone who went on a diet and set about getting a bit fitter a year back, portion size is the deal breaker for it to work. That and avoiding eating out all the time like getting takeaway whatever each day for lunch. Most Australians eat too much most of the time. And big guys that are professional AFL players like truck can probably tuck away a fair bit. So long as he ceases downing whole trays of lasagne regularly, it should make a big difference to endurance.

Yeah i'm stuck on that wagon at the moment.... would be easier if I had a sporting career to encourage me along!

But yeah, you're right. I found sizing, snacking on crap, and not being afraid to be hungry for a little while to be the kickers that were most effective.

That and cutting back on the brews.

Yeah i'm stuck on that wagon at the moment.... would be easier if I had a sporting career to encourage me along!

But yeah, you're right. I found sizing, snacking on crap, and not being afraid to be hungry for a little while to be the kickers that were most effective.

That and cutting back on the brews.
Are you some sort of machine or something?

How's the not smoking thing going?
Very well. 50 days now. Also I got drunk yesterday without going back to smoking, which was a hurdle I wasn't sure I would be able to clear.

Also, interestingly I have no recollection of my last post in this thread. I truly hope I didn't venture to the main board last night.

Nearly a week old, but this training report from Deeko on DL deserves to be reposted here:

I'm down from Mildura for the weekend and watched my first ever training and took a couple random notes on the phone. First thing I noticed was how windy it was, much like a vfl game on how bloody cold it was. Don't know how you all handle it.

I hovered around the Hoddle St side to firstly see three supporters there in shorts and was instantly thrown

more importantly I saw Crossy (in magic shape) leading Jeffy and Hibb with some decent running around the park while Lewis, King ( I think as he was a tall fella I haven't seen) Viney, Kent, Nev, Tmac, Trenners, Pedo, AVB and JKH were completing some agility, 100m run throughs and sharp skills. They then did some sharp lane work which showcased the kicking of Kent and Lewis especially.

Tmac kept flying at the at the ball with one arm to which I instantly got a sense of "hollywood" about him which disappointed me. When he came up close I noticed the huge scar on his shoulder which explained these one armed efforts.... Sorry Tmac.

Other things randomly I noticed from the recovery group:

• Pedo was back and waddling away, he will surely blow out post football. He has fantastic hands out in front
  • Lewis has a simple and beautiful kicking style.
  • Clarry / Lewis / AVB are huge midfielders. Clarry is also a wonderful kick
  • Trenners is moving freely.
A few of these boys split into groups of three with some triangle kicking. Trenners, a Jeffy and Kent in one group. Kicking was perfect here except for two Kent tried on his right... Filth. Was surprised by how big Trenners leap was. The other group was AVB, Jordy, and Clarry. I'd like to see Clarry kick the pill a lot more this year as it's wonderful. Gee AVB is a massive unit. I understand his role more seeing him in the flesh as he really does demand a tallish defender to watch him.

The rehab group then went into some running while I strolled over to watch the real stuff on the wing. While watching this there was a lot of run throughs by the rehabbers. AVB completes at least a dozen it seems 400m runs and looks redder than Clarry with each one he does. Lewis, Clarry and Pedo complete about a dozen timed 200m sprints in front of me. Pedo is running swinging his head in a massive display of being completely rooted.

Viney and Kent are doing similar together with Jack out pacing Kent but he does his best to catch him. If you didn't know these boys and saw them out you would think they are the cliche case of having short man syndrome as they are both absolute tanks.

Watching the main stuff and it's a lot of full ground stuff at good intensity. Right in front of me, Hunt sprints 40m to make a superman spoil in front of Hoges, gets up, out sprints him to the ball then clears it straight to an opponent... So nearly perfect. He then shanks his next kick. If I was to leave now you could say he doesn't have the skill so I keep an eye on him, his next 7 or 8 are perfect.

Garland reminds me of Watts the way he moves, so laconic. He's missed a simple handball that would have cost a goal at one stage but other than that he looked ok.

McCartneys in front of me staring at me.... I look away. He then yells at someone, "stop watching the effing play and move" and "dont be dictated to son" not sure who it's aimed at. I go to get a photo but I sense him looking and decide against it.

Tyson has had a few raking long kicks that were magic. Other good kickers as we know we're of course Chunk (beautiful spin, flat and firm), Watts of course and ANB skills looked nice. One who surprised me moving well was Salem. I have never been a huge fan but he stood out to me today. Wishing him well. Watts is always smiling.

Frosty has ran the ball out from defence a couple times, hits a target but they are a bit floaty. He's an incredible athlete with his pace, strength and agility. Surprised me how big a lot of the boys are as I haven't been up close before. Clearly the Woolies have more steroids in there chickens down here.

Hey there's Saty, nice hat mate
default_demon_smile.gif
oh and the Suns out.... And it's gone.

One play see Max kicking over Watts head running to goal, it's about to run through next to the post where Watts stops it, runs behind the post back into play and soccer kicks it off his heal through while a defender was chasing him. I'm in awe. I'd almost cheer if Macca was around somewhere close.

A one on one contest where Wags and Jesse wrestle. Jesse takes and gets a whack from Wags on the chin as he tries to spoil. Jesse not happy but gets the free and kicks the goal. Trac then gives Wag a friendly bump and laughter starts. Good banter.

Training ends (for me, it's to cold) watching the group in the centre square and a one on one contest. A player is nominated by the coaches. This player then picks a team mate to have a marking contest while someone kicks for chf 40m away.

Chunk is up first who picks Brayshaw, everyone roars. Two nil all draws then one drops short and Gus plucks the grab. You'd think we'd just one a flag they went off, was great.

next was Weed who selects OMac in a battle of the baby giraffes. It was a nice friendly contest ending in nil all from 3. Each time Weed got into good position and looked like marking but couldn't. Omac didn't want to mark, only spoil.

Then Salem was picked and chose Trac. It was nil all until Salem took a one handed screamer while being held. Everyone lost it again.

Finally Jesse was up and looked at Gawn, smiled at Gawn, then chose Frost. Talk about a battle of the heavy weights. You could here the slap of the bodies from the wing as these two lions went at it. I think they clunked one each. Good stuff.

Better shoot off into town as was meant to be here looking at wedding bands, not watching footy. Miss Deeko will be a bit grumpy if she finds out.

cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It does get results as weird as it sounds, reckon your friend may have been sneaking a few too many sugar snacks in.
Yeah, I've done it on and off a few times, it definitely does work. Takes some serious discipline tho, I was doing it while there was a run of birthdays at work, was quite challenging sitting in the corner sipping water.

Yeah, I've done it on and off a few times, it definitely does work. Takes some serious discipline tho, I was doing it while there was a run of birthdays at work, was quite challenging sitting in the corner sipping water.

you can still drink on it, Vokda, lime, soda is king

Will someone please give this guy a job down at the club?

Visionary.
Boy i can imagine it now. players coming out drunk or hung over on gameday would be entertaining as, even if it is a loss

December 2 - Gosch's Paddock

It was a nice sort of morning for aimless squinting so I took myself and the Ancient Demon along to Gosch's Paddock to observe the future premiers in training mode. Spoiler alert right away - I was suitably impressed.

Inching along Punt Road at 9:15 reveals Crossey's all stars (rehab group plus some of the brand new faces) have commenced early. The small group includes Viney, TMac, Trengove, Pedo and VDB plus other less familiar types with high jumper numbers. Interestingly the club has brought along big speakers to provide a nice dance track to accompany HIIT, pounding feet, occasional traffic noise and swearing. A strange idea perhaps, but I feel sure Mitch King's ACL responds to interjections from Taylor Swift as he solemnly loops the oval. TMac just glowers at the speakers, at the rubbernecking traffic, at other players, at the trainers, and briefly at one point at his own trainers. I'm a regular now though so read this as his default scarey face rather than any suggestion of emerging psychosis. One day I will be brave enough to essay a friendly wave or perhaps blow him a kiss then leg it, just to see how it feels.

My genius plan to drive there was to ultimately cost $30 in parking at AAMI - so counts as a somewhat flawed plan, but for now we're parked right at the oval and rolling up as Salem and Oliver arrive. Let's hope Christian is doing the driving for the time being.

A good indication and positive start is that most of the players are in the main training group. Footy Gods please let this continue. The only significant person I don't clock (and never did - he didn't train today) was Jesse Hogan. I figure this was probably something non-concerning like he is either hungover and slobbing it, wrestling a white pointer at Torquay, secretly traded to Freo or wandering the Australian bush while experiencing a fugue state from dehydration and trying to recall his name. No drama.

Oh and Heretier wasn't there, but the fact I've only remembered that now is a solid indication as to my care levels on this particular matter.

While they warm up with some jogging, jogging with occasional skipping and leaping (my favourite warm up - makes them look like understudies for the cast of the sound of music) and some leg swinging, and we're underway.

I can probably put in my two cents on the great demon board debate about whether or not Hunt has gained some size. He definitely has. Ancient Demon commented on this as we arrived. And promisingly in the thighs as well as upper body, so perhaps Topkent's relentless advice regarding core strength has found a disciple. Also much stronger looking, distinctly so, is Stretchy. Max is just ridiculously large still, and Frosty looks immense and imposing. Even his ears have gravitas. Or possibly I mean gravity - from behind his ears look like a pair of slightly smaller heads balanced on his shoulders. Though Frosty may be a weird looking unit, he is massive and as he develops as a defender could seriously impede some opposition forwards in 2017. Encouragingly all look lean; nobody appears to have returned overweight or out of condition. Oliver looks stronger and less squooshy than a year ago, though still blindingly white - short of a spray job this will always be the case. He will be an absolute bull in a few years.

First is a soccer drill, with soccer balls. Players are alternating kicking feet and acquit this pretty well given the round ball, the absence of hands involved and the non preferred foot being worked. Certainly the group closest to me look okay anyway. Lewis is exceptional in his kicking and control - which continues for the rest of the session. I think he will be a really important addition in the next year. It's a strange sensation seeing him there and it's truly remarkable how much better everyone looks in red and blue.

We ditch the soccer balls, magically acquire sherrins and go to some defensive training drills. There are a few people gathered to watch now along with two sleeping whippets and trio of goggle-eyed spaniels swarming over a Mick Malthouse doppelgänger. The world seems full of Malthouse impersonators. I see several on most days. Or I hope I see several, because if it's the same bloke on multiple occasions then this is a bit creepy because I've brought him here from the markets at Apollo Bay where he was selecting a tie-dyed hoody just five days ago.

Everyone looks sharp in this defensive drill, and a coach is barking instructions about not running head on, but defenders needing to keep their man sighted 'on the right shoulder'. This made more sense while watching then it appears to on the page, and Ancient Demon later explained that the defensive approach retains more options to move either way if you approach side on. Apparently. Anyhow, the drill appeared sharp and clean. A couple of blokes (Jones, Watts and Jetta) manage to duck past their defender altogether. No full tackles in this drill, more just a hug and a squeeze and an exchange of phone numbers.

At least one spy is present from the Pies lurking by the southern goals. There could be any number from wherever, but I wouldn't be likely to recognise most. The Collingwood observer was only identified by me because it was Jarod Rivers who is obviously familiar. So presumably Pies will soon hold the critical tactical know-how to buy some soccer balls and sidle up to each other.

I need to refresh my beer now, but will return later to describe footballers running in yet more directions.

December 2 - Gosch's Paddock

It was a nice sort of morning for aimless squinting so I took myself and the Ancient Demon along to Gosch's Paddock to observe the future premiers in training mode. Spoiler alert right away - I was suitably impressed.

Inching along Punt Road at 9:15 reveals Crossey's all stars (rehab group plus some of the brand new faces) have commenced early. The small group includes Viney, TMac, Trengove, Pedo and VDB plus other less familiar types with high jumper numbers. Interestingly the club has brought along big speakers to provide a nice dance track to accompany HIIT, pounding feet, occasional traffic noise and swearing. A strange idea perhaps, but I feel sure Mitch King's ACL responds to interjections from Taylor Swift as he solemnly loops the oval. TMac just glowers at the speakers, at the rubbernecking traffic, at other players, at the trainers, and briefly at one point at his own trainers. I'm a regular now though so read this as his default scarey face rather than any suggestion of emerging psychosis. One day I will be brave enough to essay a friendly wave or perhaps blow him a kiss then leg it, just to see how it feels.

My genius plan to drive there was to ultimately cost $30 in parking at AAMI - so counts as a somewhat flawed plan, but for now we're parked right at the oval and rolling up as Salem and Oliver arrive. Let's hope Christian is doing the driving for the time being.

A good indication and positive start is that most of the players are in the main training group. Footy Gods please let this continue. The only significant person I don't clock (and never did - he didn't train today) was Jesse Hogan. I figure this was probably something non-concerning like he is either hungover and slobbing it, wrestling a white pointer at Torquay, secretly traded to Freo or wandering the Australian bush while experiencing a fugue state from dehydration and trying to recall his name. No drama.

Oh and Heretier wasn't there, but the fact I've only remembered that now is a solid indication as to my care levels on this particular matter.

While they warm up with some jogging, jogging with occasional skipping and leaping (my favourite warm up - makes them look like understudies for the cast of the sound of music) and some leg swinging, and we're underway.

I can probably put in my two cents on the great demon board debate about whether or not Hunt has gained some size. He definitely has. Ancient Demon commented on this as we arrived. And promisingly in the thighs as well as upper body, so perhaps Topkent's relentless advice regarding core strength has found a disciple. Also much stronger looking, distinctly so, is Stretchy. Max is just ridiculously large still, and Frosty looks immense and imposing. Even his ears have gravitas. Or possibly I mean gravity - from behind his ears look like a pair of slightly smaller heads balanced on his shoulders. Though Frosty may be a weird looking unit, he is massive and as he develops as a defender could seriously impede some opposition forwards in 2017. Encouragingly all look lean; nobody appears to have returned overweight or out of condition. Oliver looks stronger and less squooshy than a year ago, though still blindingly white - short of a spray job this will always be the case. He will be an absolute bull in a few years.

First is a soccer drill, with soccer balls. Players are alternating kicking feet and acquit this pretty well given the round ball, the absence of hands involved and the non preferred foot being worked. Certainly the group closest to me look okay anyway. Lewis is exceptional in his kicking and control - which continues for the rest of the session. I think he will be a really important addition in the next year. It's a strange sensation seeing him there and it's truly remarkable how much better everyone looks in red and blue.

We ditch the soccer balls, magically acquire sherrins and go to some defensive training drills. There are a few people gathered to watch now along with two sleeping whippets and trio of goggle-eyed spaniels swarming over a Mick Malthouse doppelgänger. The world seems full of Malthouse impersonators. I see several on most days. Or I hope I see several, because if it's the same bloke on multiple occasions then this is a bit creepy because I've brought him here from the markets at Apollo Bay where he was selecting a tie-dyed hoody just five days ago.

Everyone looks sharp in this defensive drill, and a coach is barking instructions about not running head on, but defenders needing to keep their man sighted 'on the right shoulder'. This made more sense while watching then it appears to on the page, and Ancient Demon later explained that the defensive approach retains more options to move either way if you approach side on. Apparently. Anyhow, the drill appeared sharp and clean. A couple of blokes (Jones, Watts and Jetta) manage to duck past their defender altogether. No full tackles in this drill, more just a hug and a squeeze and an exchange of phone numbers.

At least one spy is present from the Pies lurking by the southern goals. There could be any number from wherever, but I wouldn't be likely to recognise most. The Collingwood observer was only identified by me because it was Jarod Rivers who is obviously familiar. So presumably Pies will soon hold the critical tactical know-how to buy some soccer balls and sidle up to each other.

I need to refresh my beer now, but will return later to describe footballers running in yet more directions.
Glad that you managed to dredge up Ancient Demon and his pontifications.

Glad that you managed to dredge up Ancient Demon and his pontifications.
He buggered off somewhere early in the piece and later I found him in intense conversation with Todd Viney. I still have no idea what that was about, every time I ask Ancient just looks smug and mysterious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back