Oppo Camp The Loony Bin - Lead Sponsor of Crazy Topkent's Alternate Adventures

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone care to make a video of the Grand Final which displays quotes from the Western game day thread at corresponding times during the game? Just looking at new options for enjoying the replay. Please and thank you
I sometimes watch the second half with sound down, reading the dogs board out loud. My partner thinks it’s hilarious (along with asking me why I compulsively read this stuff). Pure joy!

I sometimes watch the second half with sound down, reading the dogs board out loud. My partner thinks it’s hilarious (along with asking me why I compulsively read this stuff). Pure joy!

Sometimes I question if I'm a hateful person, then I continue reading oppo board meltdowns for a giggle.

Worth listening to the Danny/Boyd post grand final podcast then re-watching the GF again with a glass of wine. That's been my evening anyway and it's been lovely.

Good mix of schadenfreude with Danny and quality insight from a surprisingly likable Tom Boyd.

I would be more concerned about having such a superior midfield and getting absolutely smashed in that last 40 minutes.
I think I'm going to stop with the "superior midfield" thinking I had about the dogs.

A superior midfield would have fought back after copping that beating late in the third. They just have up.

Dees midfield got smacked in round 23 in the same manner really, and came out in the third and rectified it.

Not saying we have the best midfield in the league, there are some top line mids.. but the way our blokes rectified and fixed things when they got smacked over most of the year, with hindsight, is truly outstanding. The dogs are exceptional front running and playing when things are on their terms, they definitely have the best footy to watch. But getting skull*ed on the biggest stage takes that title of superior off them. In my view.

Dogs midfield offensively is great but our mids are probably the best defensive group in the league.
Maybe true about us (I still am coming to terms with us being the best team of the year), but we benefit from having a top defensive setup across the whole ground. Although the mids definitely improved a heap defensively this year. Usually have a couple cheating forward a bit but at least one dedicated defensive mid at each stoppage.

I think I'm going to stop with the "superior midfield" thinking I had about the dogs.

A superior midfield would have fought back after copping that beating late in the third. They just have up.

Dees midfield got smacked in round 23 in the same manner really, and came out in the third and rectified it.

Not saying we have the best midfield in the league, there are some top line mids.. but the way our blokes rectified and fixed things when they got smacked over most of the year, with hindsight, is truly outstanding. The dogs are exceptional front running and playing when things are on their terms, they definitely have the best footy to watch. But getting skullfu**ed on the biggest stage takes that title of superior off them. In my view.
Was tongue in cheek, had my mindset as a dog's supporter thinking their midfield top s**t.

The respective running speeds from the GF highlights Melbourne’s Defence first approach.
C340D0F6-33AB-4F37-ABF0-E413FEE7F5D0.jpeg E9B4B3E6-8610-4A0F-83FA-38C55275069E.jpeg Melbourne run harder and faster in defence than in attack, Dogs run harder in attack.

To me, this is the last 40 mins summed up. The Dogs runners look amazing with ball in hand, when the game is on their terms but lack the gut running desperation when them game is slipping away from them.

The respective running speeds from the GF highlights Melbourne’s Defence first approach.
View attachment 1291384View attachment 1291388Melbourne run harder and faster in defence than in attack, Dogs run harder in attack.

To me, this is the last 40 mins summed up. The Dogs runners look amazing with ball in hand, when the game is on their terms but lack the gut running desperation when them game is slipping away from them.

Interesting.

I think part of it could be Melbourne aren’t necessarily running faster in defence (e.g. top line pace), but they are moving around quite a bit more.

That’s an average speed reading. So standing still will make it plummet, whereas walking or a light jog to constantly tweak positioning will keep the average speed a bit higher.

If my guess is true it would still indicate a greater discipline to be active and aware defensively, which is a similar point to yours. Working harder.

And if you flip it, are Melbourne more settled in their forward line so don’t move around as much, and the The Western more chaotic leading to more movement to try and make things work?

Who knows? You can read what you want into stats if you’ve only got summary level data.

Worth listening to the Danny/Boyd post grand final podcast then re-watching the GF again with a glass of wine. That's been my evening anyway and it's been lovely.

Good mix of schadenfreude with Danny and quality insight from a surprisingly likable Tom Boyd.
I'm about 10mins in and it is all pure, unadulterated copium

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had similar defensive running average speed differentials all year. We always ran back harder than the other team

Love it, that's when you know you've made it as a team. Everyone worried about helping out rather than getting cheap possessions on the rebound or putting in a token efforts to say you got back. Thats genuine care.

Our defence was better than the dogs all year and I don’t see their defence improving.

Well according to that, we've had the best defence of any team since 2000. Also interesting that we didn't definitively separate ourselves from the pack until late in the year, although our trajectory was fairly constant (apart from that squiggly loop just before the finals corresponding to our form from rounds 10-19).

Well according to that, we've had the best defence of any team since 2000. Also interesting that we didn't definitively separate ourselves from the pack until late in the year, although our trajectory was fairly constant (apart from that squiggly loop just before the finals corresponding to our form from rounds 10-19).
Pumping the cats and the dogs in the last two games launched out attack rating above theirs. We were mid/upper range in attack most of the year but best in defence by a mile.

Good listen 😈 good mix of excuse making, realism and hopefulness that we will incur injuries to bring us back to the pack.

Dogs midfield offensively is great but our mids are probably the best defensive group in the league.
The problem is they are soft and play like Harlem globetrotters. Give them space and they flick the ball around Hollywood style, let them get in front and they go even more Hollywood.

But pressure them and be hard and aggressive and they fall to butter

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

The problem is they are soft and play like Harlem globetrotters. Give them space and they flick the ball around Hollywood style, let them get in front and they go even more Hollywood.

I can imagine the gnashing of sensitive teeth this thread is causing over there...

Can't wait for them to come out hard Rd 1, peak early, then desperately claw to 8th come finals.

Agree. First cracks were in the Richmond game where they completely wilted under the pressure from the tigers.

Agree. First cracks were in the Richmond game where they completely wilted under the pressure from the tigers.
My favourite thing was all the Dogs fans the week before that game in the ‘Melbourne: what do we make of them’ thread crowing about how they were going to show the Tigers up and prove that they were better than us after we’d beaten Richmond on ANZAC Eve.

It’ll be funny if we beat them
Not as funny as the GF loss

It’s also pretty galling that the AFL have engineered it so the Dees unfurl the flag in front of us.

Boo hoo

The good thing about playing the tankers round one, is both teams have a healthy list, we haven’t travelled 4000 Kim before playing them, Bevo and the boys will be filthy and Melbourne still seem to be celebrating.

Good to know a round 1 win for the The Western will set everything right.

Perhaps Bevo and the boys could’ve used some of that filth driven top-end ability during the GF instead of keeping it all under wraps and instead rolling over and being humiliated in front of almost 4 million people on the TV.

I don’t see either of Port, Geelong or Brisbane improving greatly. Should all be in the top eight still, but I think we should go past all three and comfortably.

So the The Western haven’t done anything of note to improve their list (Tim O’Brien?), however will comfortably go past three other teams because…?

There are some sensible ones who can see their midfield is poor defensively, and their ruck and key defenders are a liability with poor quality and depth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back