The obscure XI's you've always wanted to make but never found the appropriate place thread

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Justin Langer
2. Chris Rogers
3. David Gower
4. Shivnarine Chanderpaul
5. Travis Head
6. Adam Gilchrist
7. Richard Hadlee
8. James Pattinson
9. Peter Taylor
10. Josh Hazlewood
11. James Anderson
Left hand bat, right hand bowlers?

Gordon Greenidge
Alistair Cook
Don Bradman
Viv Richards
Richie Richardson
Ian Botham
Clive Lloyd
Curtley Ambrose
Richard Hadlee
Wes Hall
Alec Bedser

Andrew Strauss

Don't have a keeper, I'm thinking Bradman could put the gloves on
Sir Clyde Walcott is your man.

Put him in for Richardson.

Tasmanian Best All-Time XI - International home grown reps only
Charles Eady
Michael Divenuto
David Boon
Ricky Ponting (c)
Jack Badcock
George Bailey
Tim Paine (wk)
Shaun Young
James Faulkner
Ben Hilfenhaus
Laurie Nash

Tasmanian Best All-Time XI - International imported reps only!
Shane Watson
Khalid Ibadulla
Rohan Kanhai
Michael Bevan
Brian Davison (c)
Colin Miller
Allan Knott (wk)
Michael Holding
Winston Davis
Dennis Lillee
Patrick Patterson

Max Walker

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jamie Cox incredibly unlucky not to make the home grown side. Either Jackson Bird or Rod Tucker would be better picks than Marsh @ No. 8.
? I didn't put Marsh in. You might be referring to Young, who only played one test and a few Aus A games while Bird managed a steadier career more or less off the bench. Young was by far the bigger contributor as a middle order batsman and bowler for Tassie, and I'm leaning towards contribution to the state team, the qualification being international representation no matter how glorious or insignificant...

My players here all represented Australia as Tasmanians, which rules Jamie Cox out.

Last edited:
Can't count him. No part of his professional sporting career happened in Tassie, cricket or footy. These players played for Australia as Tasmanians.
I'm not sure where you sit with Jack Badcock then.

Whilst he did play the early part of his career for Tassie, he was playing for South Australia when selected for Australia.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where you sit with Jack Badcock then.

Whilst he did play the early part of his career for Tassie, he was playing for South Australia when selected for Australia.
Yeah...true...I'll amend it to Tasmanian home grown first class reps who played for Australia. Would have been a major shame if David Boon accepted the job offer he was given by the SACA and moved to Adelaide just before starting his test career, that would have made it two poached by the filthy croweaters. Walker never played first class cricket at all with Tasmania.

To each their own. Walker led Australian attack to victory on occasion
Carried the Australian attack (with Hammond) in the WI in 73 after Lillee broke down in the first test.

If the Tasmanian Walker's a problem, what of the Victorian Nash?
Hmmm...a bit nebulous, it seems. Spent my entire life thinking he was born in Tassie, but turns out he was a Victorian...played his first senior footy and cricket in Tassie, but was 19 when he arrived. Ok...further revision of definition (unless I axe him and make him eligible for the imported XI instead...no chance he'll get past Lillee and the Windians!) - senior sport debut as a Tasmanian and a significant career as a Tasmanian, with Aus representation to qualify. That means Shane Watson would oust Charles Eady and I'd need to find another imported opening international rep bat who played significantly for Tassie...a bit thin on options if Ibadulla is the other one...!

Hmmm...a bit nebulous, it seems. Spent my entire life thinking he was born in Tassie, but turns out he was a Victorian...played his first senior footy and cricket in Tassie, but was 19 when he arrived. Ok...further revision of definition (unless I axe him and make him eligible for the imported XI instead...no chance he'll get past Lillee and the Windians!) - senior sport debut as a Tasmanian and a significant career as a Tasmanian, with Aus representation to qualify. That means Shane Watson would oust Charles Eady and I'd need to find another imported opening international rep bat who played significantly for Tassie...a bit thin on options if Ibadulla is the other one...!

McDonald, Walker & Hilf seamers along with Ring bowling spin. Eady allrounder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back