The Official BigFooty Boston Celtics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Horford said he wanted to play majority PF. That hasn't happened either.
That's a fair call.

The great thing about Horford is that he plays his role that he's given without being a diva about it. He's morphed into one of the best passing bigs in the game under this system, even if he isn't playing his preferred position.

I think this characteristic in Horford is why we weren't keen on Cousins, which I guess is fair enough. A lot will say that talent > culture but chemistry goes a long way these days and there are plenty of good available big men and players overall out there. Probably why the Butler stuff wont go away aswell. He'd be a great fit on our team.

That's a fair call.

The great thing about Horford is that he plays his role that he's given without being a diva about it. He's morphed into one of the best passing bigs in the game under this system, even if he isn't playing his preferred position.

I think this characteristic in Horford is why we weren't keen on Cousins, which I guess is fair enough. A lot will say that talent > culture but chemistry goes a long way these days and there are plenty of good available big man and players overall out there. Probably why the Butler stuff wont go away aswell. He'd be a great fit on our team.

One thing I've learnt from watching the Patriots is that often if you put a player with a certain reputation in a different scheme and culture what was perceived to be a problem no longer is one. Thus I'd have confidence Brad could get George to buy into what we are doing. Especially when you're contending.

Butler people say they think he'll stay in Chicago, so who knows.

But George has never been that player and isn't moving forward. He can't be the best player or even 2nd best in this day and age, on a championship winning team. Butler>George for any team and I dont think its particularly close. Butler + couple more pieces on the bench and we contend CLE and who knows where we go from there. Some really good vets could could just take a huge cut for a chance on a ring.

One thing I've learnt from watching the Patriots is that often if you put a player with a certain reputation in a different scheme and culture what was perceived to be a problem no longer is one. Thus I'd have confidence Brad could get George to buy into what we are doing. Especially when you're contending.

Butler people say they think he'll stay in Chicago, so who knows.
Belicheck and the Pats still definitely pick and choose the right guys that fit the system and they haven't had issues getting rid of guys that have caused trouble. Terry Glenn was one that comes to mind. Theres less pressure and risk to just getting rid of a troublemaker in NFL because there are so many players out there compared to the concentrated talent pool in the NBA and only 5 guys on the court playing big minutes.

I'm sure if Paul George were available and Boston got him there would be no issues. I still think he would play more far more 2 & 3 here than 4. Was more making the point that Cousins acts like a diva and he would upset the chemistry this group has built. I suspect that's why there wasn't interest from Boston at management or coaching level.

I do have trouble believing that, Stevens is not the kind of guy to give that kind of answer.

I think it was more that we shied away at such a big contract extension and that we wanted to give up chump change to get him.

I do have trouble believing that, Stevens is not the kind of guy to give that kind of answer.

I think it was more that we shied away at such a big contract extension and that we wanted to give up chump change to get him.
Might not have said it exactly but obviously him and Danny think that way. They could have beaten the NOLA offer with their eyes closed and still had great assets left over. I dont think money is necessarily the issue. They obviously don't think Cousins is that central piece to a championship team.

My guess is we bring in a bench player like PJ Tucker for next to nothing before the deadline and then we hear about being to far apart with another bunch of trades.

My guess is we bring in a bench player like PJ Tucker for next to nothing before the deadline and then we hear about being to far apart with another bunch of trades.
Happy with anything that doesnt involve coughing up the brooklyn pick this draft. Fultz, Lonzo, Jackson, and Isaac are ******* amazing talents. We really, really dont want to trade them away.

Happy with anything that doesnt involve coughing up the brooklyn pick this draft. Fultz, Lonzo, Jackson, and Isaac are ******* amazing talents. We really, really dont want to trade them away.

I'm now leaning towards this. Butler makes us good now, probably rivalling Cleveland for the east, but this is the GSW era. Take the number 1, stay high in the standings, a good FA will want that. I think we need to ride the GSW storm, as Ball could be the next Steph Curry - not just quoting his dad. If IT can keep up production, and we can lure a Horford replacement, we have a deep enough roster to press for a title in 2-3 seasons. Now - I think curry durrant and Thompson are too good over 7

Any chance Drummond goes to Boston to allow Horford to play PF?

Removed Pistons from his Bio on Twitter, unfollowed them and changed his profile pic to him waving goodbye.

He also retweeted IT3's eye emoji and then tweeted the same emoji himself?

Hmmmm..

Any chance Drummond goes to Boston to allow Horford to play PF?

Removed Pistons from his Bio on Twitter, unfollowed them and changed his profile pic to him waving goodbye.

He also retweeted IT3's eye emoji and then tweeted the same emoji himself?

Hmmmm..
He'd be a perfect fit with his elite rebounding....the price of him scares me a bit though

I'm now leaning towards this. Butler makes us good now, probably rivalling Cleveland for the east, but this is the GSW era. Take the number 1, stay high in the standings, a good FA will want that. I think we need to ride the GSW storm, as Ball could be the next Steph Curry - not just quoting his dad. If IT can keep up production, and we can lure a Horford replacement, we have a deep enough roster to press for a title in 2-3 seasons. Now - I think curry durrant and Thompson are too good over 7
We don't rival Cleveland without having a big that can rebound and provide some rim protection.

Cleveland is more vulnerable than ever but their bigs still are a problem, and having no rim protection against LeBron James is a recipe for disaster.

Not sure which Ball you think is going to be Curry either. None of them scream Curry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't rival Cleveland without having a big that can rebound and provide some rim protection.

Cleveland is more vulnerable than ever but their bigs still are a problem, and having no rim protection against LeBron James is a recipe for disaster.

Not sure which Ball you think is going to be Curry either. None of them scream Curry.

I think Lonzo could very well be the best player in the upcoming draft and I'm salivating over the thought of him on the Celtics. His stroke is kind of like curry's but nowhere near as fast. He is also shooting curry-like percentages from deep. I think that's where the similarities end though. He is the closest thing to a complete guard that I've watched play in college for a long time.

No way do I want that pick included in trades this deadline.

Happy to move any other first round pick and non core asset.

David Aldridge always strikes me as sort of a bs artist but he seems to think the butler thing is very much alive.

David Aldridge:
-"Jimmy Butler trade with Celtics is very real."
-"Main sticking point is Jae Crowder and Danny is refusing to include Crowder in any Butler" deal",
- But "Bulls are insisting."

https://watch.nba.com/video/2017/02...-boston-celtics-interest-chicago-jimmy-butler

yeah, Crowder is super useful for us, 13.8 and 5.2 is nothing to sneeze at
I think Lonzo could very well be the best player in the upcoming draft and I'm salivating over the thought of him on the Celtics. His stroke is kind of like curry's but nowhere near as fast. He is also shooting curry-like percentages from deep. I think that's where the similarities end though. He is the closest thing to a complete guard that I've watched play in college for a long time.

No way do I want that pick included in trades this deadline.

Happy to move any other first round pick and non core asset.

David Aldridge always strikes me as sort of a bs artist but he seems to think the butler thing is very much alive.

David Aldridge:
-"Jimmy Butler trade with Celtics is very real."
-"Main sticking point is Jae Crowder and Danny is refusing to include Crowder in any Butler" deal",
- But "Bulls are insisting."

https://watch.nba.com/video/2017/02...-boston-celtics-interest-chicago-jimmy-butler

Thats like saying you prefer s**t on toast than bacon.

Speaking of s**t...

Reports have suggested Butler has had a s**t attitude since he signed his massive contract. His stats mean little to us if he's not the kind of player to buy into our system or be a good team mate.

That's why some people prefer PG over Butler.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back