The onward march of T20

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see that happening much with India, England and Australia where a Test career is still very lucrative, how the second string countries where that isn't necessarily the case are going to compete against franchise cricket is beyond me though.
Depends on what you define as second string countries. Does South Africa get regarded as a second string country? Because they are going to send their B team to the test series in NZ in Febuary due to wanting most of their best players in the t20 franchise league at the time the test series is on.

Depends on what you define second string countries. Does South Africa get regarded as a secong string country? Because they are going to send their B team to the test series in NZ in Febuary due to wanting most of their best players in the t20 franchise league at the time the test series is on.
I was thinking more in terms of remuneration. Australian, Indian and English players can afford to have a decent Test career and then top up their super in franchise cricket after that's over, players from other countries may not have that luxury.

Depends on what you define as second string countries. Does South Africa get regarded as a second string country? Because they are going to send their B team to the test series in NZ in Febuary due to wanting most of their best players in the t20 franchise league at the time the test series is on.
Financially, they are. And now they have money coming in from Indian franchises the national team may well soon only be seen as a way to get your name up in front of franchises. West Indies appear well down that path, and Sri Lanka look like going that way.

The SA test squad against NZ is a disgrace to test cricket.

South Africa Test squad: Neil Brand (capt), David Bedingham, Ruan de Swardt, Clyde Fortuin, Zubayr Hamza, Tshepo Moreki, Mihlali Mpongwana, Duanne Olivier, Dane Paterson, Keegan Petersen, Dane Piedt, Raynard van Tonder, Shaun von Berg, Khaya Zondo

Probably ends their WTC chances only 1 game in.

South Africa Test squad: Neil Brand (capt), David Bedingham, Ruan de Swardt, Clyde Fortuin, Zubayr Hamza, Tshepo Moreki, Mihlali Mpongwana, Duanne Olivier, Dane Paterson, Keegan Petersen, Dane Piedt, Raynard van Tonder, Shaun von Berg, Khaya Zondo

It seems odd here because we are one of the few countries that doesn't have its best players playing in its domestic T20 comp.

But could you imagine India being scheduled to play a Test match in the middle of the IPL ?

I think in the next ten years there will be a complete change in the Cricket landscape.

National contracts will be overtaken by franchise or club contracts. A player like Travis Head will be released by a franchise to play for Australia.

Each player might have a 'base franchise or club' and released for other competitions.

There will be international windows created where clubs are expected to release players and countries will squeeze games in during those dates.

The windows for international cricket will be small. If we want the Ashes to be five tests then it will be up to the players and clubs to they make themselves available.

The IPL will be like the NBA. An Australian player not good enough for a IPL contract, an example could be Harry Neilsen will be owned by the Strikers as his home club and they loan him to other clubs if requested.

It will really work similar to basketball and soccer except more loaning of players given the shorter competitions.

I simply don’t get how people can’t get bored of it. I genuinely try to maintain some interest in the odd comp or series and soon enough the monotony gets me

I can see both sides.

I think outside the time it takes to play a test the main problem is how predictable results of so many test matches are. It feels like a good test series are to few and far between.

I simply don’t get how people can’t get bored of it. I genuinely try to maintain some interest in the odd comp or series and soon enough the monotony gets me
Just don't follow it. I watch the BBL regularly, the IPL maybe once or twice a year, and that's it.

I think in the next ten years there will be a complete change in the Cricket landscape.

National contracts will be overtaken by franchise or club contracts. A player like Travis Head will be released by a franchise to play for Australia.

Each player might have a 'base franchise or club' and released for other competitions.

There will be international windows created where clubs are expected to release players and countries will squeeze games in during those dates.

The windows for international cricket will be small. If we want the Ashes to be five tests then it will be up to the players and clubs to they make themselves available.

The IPL will be like the NBA. An Australian player not good enough for a IPL contract, an example could be Harry Neilsen will be owned by the Strikers as his home club and they loan him to other clubs if requested.

It will really work similar to basketball and soccer except more loaning of players given the shorter competitions.
Might be sooner. Makes wonder if this is part of why CA is holding off private ownership investment in the BBL.

Their captain is a debutant :$

That's actually really sad

At least the Black Caps will finally win a series against SA

Their captain is a debutant :$

That's actually really sad

At least the Black Caps will finally win a series against SA

It would be embarrassing if we didn't win that series with the severely weakened squad SA are sending over but winning it won't mean much

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm able to pay attention to all international games, and the majority of the T20 Leagues.
BBL does not hold my interest in the slightest. I find the SuperSmash a little more interesting

It doesn't require that much of a change, when you think about it.

Players already do have contracts with either their national board or a state/county, etc. Counties didn't release all of the associate players for the recent CWC qualification tournament in Zimbabwe, so that much is the same.

But if you are, for instance, Tim David, it makes sense to be contracted to an IPL team and spend most of the year playing in their subsidiary teams. And if someone wants to forgo a state contract to play T20s then so be it. Keith Miller signed with an English club side after the war, which would have prevented him playing for Australia, and he had to buy himself out of it. That's no different to what some players are doing with T20.

Players who went on rebel tours, and even those who signed up for World Series Cricket, chose money over playing for their country. It has always happened.

The best solution, IMO, is for the big 3 to get together and demand franchise windows on the next Future Tours Program. April and May for the IPL, August for the Hundred and January for the BBL and SA20. No internationals in those periods, and no No Objection Certificate granted to players at first-class or international level outside of those periods. That leaves the Tim Davids and future David Warners the chance to play wherever and whenever they like, but also means international cricket retains the best possible squads.

Pat Symcox and Brian McMillan on standby

They've clearly decided to prioritise $$$ in the midst of a WTC cycle in which they don't get to play two of the teams (Australia and England) that would have helped them generate it via test cricket.

Throw in the fact that there is a T20WC in six months that they need to prepare for, and a WTC which provides zero risk even if they come dead last, ie no threat to test status, no relegation to a second division.

I don't like what they are doing, but I can understand it.

FWIW, teams frequently have second-tier white ball sides playing and there's a few grumbles but otherwise the world moves on.

The best solution, IMO, is for the big 3 to get together and demand franchise windows on the next Future Tours Program. April and May for the IPL, August for the Hundred and January for the BBL and SA20. No internationals in those periods, and no No Objection Certificate granted to players at first-class or international level outside of those periods. That leaves the Tim Davids and future David Warners the chance to play wherever and whenever they like, but also means international cricket retains the best possible squads.
Good call Big E

I agree there has to be more of a fixed period regarding the schedule for these t20 tournaments so then test cricket can be prioritised and the best players available.

Really interested to seeing how the BCCI react to this. They have IMO created this s***tshorm they have the financial might.....they say they are interested in test cricket and it's the pinnacle ...but really ???? look at there recent test against the Saffers....they where terrible. When it comes to test ...yeah reckon the Indians are the biggest hypocrites of the lot...they have an opportunity to help fix test cricket lets see if they can do it ?

They've clearly decided to prioritise $$$ in the midst of a WTC cycle in which they don't get to play two of the teams (Australia and England) that would have helped them generate it via test cricket.

Throw in the fact that there is a T20WC in six months that they need to prepare for, and a WTC which provides zero risk even if they come dead last, ie no threat to test status, no relegation to a second division.

I don't like what they are doing, but I can understand it.

FWIW, teams frequently have second-tier white ball sides playing and there's a few grumbles but otherwise the world moves on.
They can prepare for a t20wc all they like they ain't going to win it. South Africa just ain't born to win any cricket world cups.

It's pretty disgraceful really last year South Africa pulled out of 3 ODIs in Australia to play in a T20 comp back home.

South Africa only have themselves to blame for the financial mess they are in. There board has been a shambles for a decade.

And now they are treating International and Test Cricket as a sideshow to there T20 Domestic comp no one gives a toss about outside South Africa.

Blame India and IPL. Absolutely stuffed cricket.

I'm more worried about what happens in five years when a LIV equivalent comes along and says 'stuff your international window, we will just buy the best 120 players in the world and put them on a 9 month circuit'. Money talks. Lots of money talks loudly.

I'm more worried about what happens in five years when a LIV equivalent comes along and says 'stuff your international window, we will just buy the best 120 players in the world and put them on a 9 month circuit'. Money talks. Lots of money talks loudly.

The Saudi's are looking at investing in cricket as well. Whether that means starting their own league or just buying a stake in the IPL who knows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back