The onward march of T20

Remove this Banner Ad

CA's stance would be so much more meaningful if they opted out of playing Afghanistan in ICC events as opposed to forgettable, meaningless bilateral T20 series. Of course CA would never cancel/postpone a series against India or England on human rights grounds.
Just following through on what they said they'd do, unlike pissweak Rashid Khan.

CA's stance is "* you, we'll play whoever we want, whenever we want", which is a) their right, and b) the only language these Taliban savages understand anyway.

Of course CA would never cancel/postpone a series against India or England on human rights grounds.
No evidence to support that claim. But clearly the ICC wouldn't enforce their own membership rules on India or England, given they are unwilling to do so with Afghanistan.

How far do you take it though? Do the nations grouped with Uganda at the world cup boycott playing them for their anti LGBT stance?
They'd be consistent and not play bilateral series against Uganda but play them at ICC events as they have previously stated. This is from CA:

"there is a distinction between playing bilateral series against Afghanistan which falls under CA control as compared to playing in a World Cup tournament which is an ICC event and subject to their regulations."

Also this:

He's only played four tests, without distinction, but this is probably the bit that hurts:
Hasaranga has now come out of Test retirement...so he can serve a suspension - for acquiring 8 demerit points - in the 2 Tests v Bangladesh rather than miss the first 4 games of the T20 World Cup.

Even though they are generally a bunch of annoying teenagers, there was an interesting discussion about the future of the IPL on the latest Wisden podcast.

Expecting it to expand in time but not too much. I think the danger is that if it tries to expand to say, 6-9 months like US baseball, it becomes more of an Indian domestic league for the simple reason that internationals won't want to live that long in India.

Expecting it to expand in time but not too much. I think the danger is that if it tries to expand to say, 6-9 months like US baseball, it becomes more of an Indian domestic league for the simple reason that internationals won't want to live that long in India.
This is why I'm saying it needs to expand to FC and LA cricket, so that it does not kill cricket in doing so. :( . Otherwise there will be a limited window for FC and LA cricket. and it's inevitable death

Even though they are generally a bunch of annoying teenagers, there was an interesting discussion about the future of the IPL on the latest Wisden podcast.

makes you wonder IF "in theory" the Indian investment for teams in other countries T20 comps makes them a "defacto IPL comp", if it happened across all comps and damaged International cricket forcing a reduction in the schedule, would they release Indian players to be involved?

Is the weather feasible for it to even be that long?
It varies in different parts of the country, because the south is usually warmer with the beaches and north is affected by the himalayas. But they seem to be playing cricket year round.

2023-24 dates
First Class Duleep - Jun to Jul 2023
List A Deodhar - Jul to Aug 2023
First Class Irani - Oct 2023
T20 SMAT - Oct to Nov 2023
List A Vijay Hazare - Nov to Dec 2023
First Class Ranji - Jan to Mar 2024
T20 IPL - Mar to May 2024

There is so much cricket in India, year long, it's gonna be tough to find space to extend the IPL.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Multi year contract deals for presigned international players, but the catch is they have to be available for the full BBL and the following BBLs as well. I think this will deter South African, Bangladeshi, and Pakistani players from sign multi year deals as their own T20 comps would take priority.

The article also states that the Australian Test players would only be available between 8th Jan and 20th Jan for the 2024-25 season.

So let's hypothetically say the Melbourne Stars, Lucknow Super Giants and Durban Super Giants qualify the CLT20, who does Marcus Stoinis play for and how do they determine this?
The way I read the article, the home player is supposed to play for the home nation (country where they are contracted to play nationally)

So let's hypothetically say the Melbourne Stars, Lucknow Super Giants and Durban Super Giants qualify the CLT20, who does Marcus Stoinis play for and how do they determine this?
Yeah, this was one of the most problematic things about the original Champions Trophy.

A couple of paragraphs here stick out to me:

"We still haven't made out which league is the best. IPL, PSL or the Big Bash? The only way we can show that is by having Melbourne Stars play Karachi Kings or Mumbai Indians," Cummins said. "Champions League is well overdue. Look at what Champions League does for football, the World Cup is fantastic and the Champions League is there [too] every time.

"The idea of Mumbai Indians playing Melbourne Stars at the MCG would be just as exciting as India playing Australia at the MCG.

Firstly, is this actually a thing or just another thought bubble from Cricket Victoria to get more big matches at the MCG (see also the India vs Pakistan MCG test, which only Victorians seem to think is a possibility)?

And secondly, do we really think that the BCCI would want a competition where they would risk an IPL team not being the best team in the world?

Yeah, this was one of the most problematic things about the original Champions Trophy.

A couple of paragraphs here stick out to me:

Firstly, is this actually a thing or just another thought bubble from Cricket Victoria to get more big matches at the MCG (see also the India vs Pakistan MCG test, which only Victorians seem to think is a possibility)?

And secondly, do we really think that the BCCI would want a competition where they would risk an IPL team not being the best team in the world?
I reckon the flaw with past champions league was having too many teams from other countries . Eg having 3 from India , 2 from Australia etc . As a watch of cricket franchise around the world , just want to see the best of the best. Yes I do believe it would be an interesting contest day between Gujarat (2022 champions) versus Perth (2022-2023 champions) on a bouncy wicket in Perth. I also do like the added incentive of the winner hosting the following years tournament. I agree with a lot of points of the article , that T20 has matured a lot compared to 10 years ago. My other suggestions is what about the ILT20? NZ Super Smash? Major League Cricket? Maybe an all round tournament of 12 teams? Heard the Canadian Global T20 had a few superstars playing in it.

It also doesn’t happen when someone like Michael Hussey had the choice of playing for Chennai or Perth. Not surprisingly he chose to play for the country where he got paid the most .

I reckon the flaw with past champions league was having too many teams from other countries . Eg having 3 from India , 2 from Australia etc . As a watch of cricket franchise around the world , just want to see the best of the best. Yes I do believe it would be an interesting contest day between Gujarat (2022 champions) versus Perth (2022-2023 champions) on a bouncy wicket in Perth. I also do like the added incentive of the winner hosting the following years tournament. I agree with a lot of points of the article , that T20 has matured a lot compared to 10 years ago. My other suggestions is what about the ILT20? NZ Super Smash? Major League Cricket? Maybe an all round tournament of 12 teams? Heard the Canadian Global T20 had a few superstars playing in it.

It also doesn’t happen when someone like Michael Hussey had the choice of playing for Chennai or Perth. Not surprisingly he chose to play for the country where he got paid the most .
Yeah, the other flaw with the Victorian proposal - which is all it is, IMO - is that it's just the Big Three thinking nobody else matters. It's all well and good for Nick Cummins to talk about Melbourne Stars playing Karachi Kings, but when the conversation will only between CA, BCCI and the ECB, well, do we reckon any PSL teams are getting invited?

If we want to see the best vs the best, you can do that in the T20WC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back