Opinion The Rookie List: Who Should We Upgrade?

Who should be elevated?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a tough one, on form Petterd is probably ahead of the other 2 (reckon we will choose one of the experienced guys as this year is about putting our best team out there rather than youth development). On current form, Petterd woud be in our best 22. Big O is needed for insurance to Maric but you would think he wouldn't play unless Maric went down.

Lonergan hasn't played yet so he might still put his hand up - I think an area we need to step up in around the clearances and centre bounces so with Foley likely to be missing, he might be a good inclusion for round 1 where typically, our midfield gets exposed for its lack of defensive effort. If he plays, maybe he can injure Carrazzo again after the opening bounce :D

Will be watching how Petterd and Lonergan go this weekend. Either way, a decision shouldn't be made until the last game has been played.

Petterd for mine. Reckon once he gets used to our systems and playing down back again he could be a really handy pickup for us. Reckon he will play round 1 too.

If the coaching staff have pettard in their best 22 and pencilled in for found 1, i think they'll risk upgrading him and hope Ivan doesn’t go down.

If pettard is borderline best 22 and fighting for a spot with someone like Batch - i think they'll go with the safe option and upgrade the Big O.

I wonder if we can hold off naming the elevated player until we need them. So instead on locking ourselves into say Pettard and being screwed if Maric goes down, we hold off and then wait and see what happens with injury down the track.

I wonder if we can hold off naming the elevated player until we need them. So instead on locking ourselves into say Pettard and being screwed if Maric goes down, we hold off and then wait and see what happens with injury down the track.

Idealy thats the best option.

On current form Pettard is currently in our best 22.
On current form Stephenson would only "possibly" play against teams that have two good ruckmen.
Cant comment on Lonergans form.

If Maric goes down for a couple of weeks can we survive with Vickery/ Griffiths and Derickx? That is the big question...
Obviously if Maric goes down long term (touch wood) we just upgrade Stephenson.

My opinion; Upgrade Pettard/Lonergan and take the risk that Maric will be okay. After round 12 we can upgrade another rookie anyway, so we can upgrade Stephenson and give Maric a bit of a rest in the second half of the year.

Are we allowed to upgrade all three rookies? Say we have a LTI injury in round 5-6 and upgrade the second rookie, are we still allowed to upgrade the third rookie at the half way point of the year?

If we are to promote 2 players this year,then one must occur before round one. The other after round eleven. Therefore we can not wait to see. You can not hold off.

It's out of the three mature aged recurits, Pettard, Big O and Lonergan.

Pettard has preformed the best out of the three, Big O isn't far behind Pettard preformance wise but he's just unlikely to get games unless injuries, if he is promoted and you don't want to promote someone not to play but if Ivan goes down but not long enough to be placed on the LTI, we're basically screwed. I was really happy with us picking up Lonergan, a real hard nut who I think can make a real impact, I've got high hopes but seeing we currently have a pretty strong midfield I can't see him coming in just yet.

I can't decide who, any of the three will make me happy, I've got faith in whoever the club decides.
I'm just pleased they're all preformed. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back