Roast The Ruck

Remove this Banner Ad

Stanley is useless. Can go from world beater to turd in the space of the same quarter. Was dreadful that last quarter.
Smith can’t get in the bests in the reserves.

Something has to give.
Hopefully Smith plays well tonight

Haven't been watching the VFL but we took Abbot on the senior list as a mature-aged player. I know he was probably 'break glass in case of emergency', but I reckon we can classify this as a mini emergency. I think we're at the stage where we probably can't get any worse, even Hawkins was taking ruck contests around the ground.

Smith and Stanley have made it obvious what one can expect. They can give a glimpse of quality but basically they are not up it. They will always let you down ..its just a matter of time. And there is no easy fix.
We need to get serious at years end... not just add another high priced mid..we need to get another couple of talented rucks on the list cause these guys just continue to display Pavlova performances... soft and fluffy in the middle

Esava competes better & more consistently than Stanley in the ruck but we need Esava up forward to help take defenders away from Hawkins & Menzel once he returns.

I’d bring Smith back, might not be in great form but the Giants dropped Simpson this week and are rucking a rookie & Patton, could be a chance for Smith to regain some form.

Stanley is useless. Can go from world beater to turd in the space of the same quarter. Was dreadful that last quarter.
Smith can’t get in the bests in the reserves.

Something has to give.
Hopefully Smith plays well tonight
Has been a massive problem since Ottens. I thought we almost had it when Simpson came good briefly before getting injured again, but... nope.

It doesn't help that the game has gone very much toward bigger ruckmen (especially with the third-man-up rule) and we've gone for smaller, more athletic types.

Where the hell is the next Stef Martin/Sam Jacobs/Cal Sinclair type squeezed out by a ruck surplus at another club? Preuss and Soldo are the closest thing that I can think of... but only barely at that.

Smith has always been the better ruck. He should be playing.

Agreed - still scratching my head as to why he was dumped in the first place; had a slightly down day vs Melbourne in Rd 1 but was by no means terrible.

Stanley does have some ability; would dominate a level down, but he's gotta be one of the dumbest footballers I've seen.

What's annoying for me is that Smith got a rocket after round 1, was told to go back to the VFL and will only get a call up if he warrants it and now has a pinch hitter playing his role, yet he shows no signs of wanting his position back.
I've posted about lack of desire, heart, intensity and ruthlessness elsewhere today and Smith also lacks all of those.
If he didn't he'd be doing everything possible in the VFL to show why he should be in the AFL. He isn't.
I'd drop Stanley for sure, maybe bring in Smith but in no way has he genuinely earned it.
Our rucks are back to where they were 4 years ago, shithouse.

What's annoying for me is that Smith got a rocket after round 1, was told to go back to the VFL and will only get a call up if he warrants it and now has a pinch hitter playing his role, yet he shows no signs of wanting his position back.
I've posted about lack of desire, heart, intensity and ruthlessness elsewhere today and Smith also lacks all of those.
If he didn't he'd be doing everything possible in the VFL to show why he should be in the AFL. He isn't.
I'd drop Stanley for sure, maybe bring in Smith but in no way has he genuinely earned it.
How many players really earn their spot in the side? How many players get called up after average games in the VFL? Why is Smith an exception?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope Buzza plays plenty of ruck time tonight.
You watch he'll actually do better than Smith if he does.
Sav Rat has played 7 games and taps them better than Stanley.
I don't like either of our 2 main rucks that much.

They got too clever in thinking Blicavs and 'third man up' was the way the game would go and didn't factor it being banned. Rucks take years to develop and we dropped the ball in that area for too long.
Smith situation is weird. He is the closest thing we have to a real tap ruck which is what we need to feed our 'dream team' :rolleyes: mids. Not sure what is going on there. Perhaps he's no good at waxing Scott's car....

Smith is our only true ruckman, and I prefer Sav Rat, Buzza over Stanley as they are both competitive beasts, put Stanley at Full Forward in the VFL and see if he can play that roll, the only time he can mark is when on a lead in the forward line.

I hope Buzza plays plenty of ruck time tonight.
You watch he'll actually do better than Smith if he does.
Sav Rat has played 7 games and taps them better than Stanley.
I don't like either of our 2 main rucks that much.
I know the situation is dire but this is not true.
He’s not even tucking better than him at VFL level.

I know the situation is dire but this is not true.
He’s not even tucking better than him at VFL level.
Oh fair nuts. I didn't see the game last week but heard he turned the game back our way when he went into the ruck.
Still I want to see it. Buzz seems like a real competitor.
I don't see Smith and Stanley ever being much good

Oh fair nuts. I didn't see the game last week but heard he turned the game back our way when he went into the ruck.
Still I want to see it. Buzz seems like a real competitor.
I don't see Smith and Stanley ever being much good
Around the ground. He’s not our tap ruckman panacea.

Also, serious question to anyone who knows, How many teams have proper ruck coaches?
I mean someone who's at the club more than a few hours a month?
It might be a bit unfair to pot our ruckmen too much if they're at a disadvantage to a lot of others.

Not that great in the ruck contests?
He would be giving away a bit of height I imagine
As good as you can expect from a back up ruck. Probably no better or worse than Sav.
Not as good as Smith though.

We’ve been hopeless in identifying genuine ruck talent over the years, and given we don’t even bother with a ruck coach it seems the club isn’t phased by it, nor consider it a priority.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back