The San Antonio Spurs thread - A Fiesta of Youth

Remove this Banner Ad

whats the thoughts our cap space? anybody have a view on who to target?

is someone like a Fred VanVleet a viable option to boost the PG quality and depth chart?

or do we swallow Ben's contract and get the Nets to throw in some more draft capital?
Interesting how we'll approach it. Obviously I don't think we'll be a great team next season but do they push and try to make the play in by adding a few vets to foster the young guys. Or do we bottom out again like this year, although Wemby's floor will probably still lift this side considerably though.

spot on, setup beautifully and not to forget;

'24 hornets 1st rounder
'24 raptors 1st rounder
'25 bulls 1st rounder
'25 hawks 1st rounder
'26 rights to pick swap with the hawks
'27 hawks 1st rounder
'28 Celtics 1st rounder

plus all our own picks and enough 2nd round picks to sink a boat.

We won't get all of those.
That Hornets pick will never get to us as it is lottery protected for the next two years, and the Hornets are not a playoff caliber team. After that it just becomes two second rounders.
The Bulls and Raps picks are also protected, but not as heavily as the Hornets pick.
And that 2028 Boston pick is just a swap.

Spurs will trade most of these anyway as they don't need them all, they should be looking to consolidate many of them for higher picks in the next few drafts.

We won't get all of those.
That Hornets pick will never get to us as it is lottery protected for the next two years, and the Hornets are not a playoff caliber team. After that it just becomes two second rounders.
The Bulls and Raps picks are also protected, but not as heavily as the Hornets pick.
And that 2028 Boston pick is just a swap.

Spurs will trade most of these anyway as they don't need them all, they should be looking to consolidate many of them for higher picks in the next few drafts.

Very true, couple of thing to consider with the picks;
  • the Hornets pick is protected but as you said we get two years to get it and in a fluctuating Eastern conference I feel we have a chance at getting it but it is the least likely of the picks to land with us
  • We will get the Raptors pick and is a very tantalising pick as we have three years to settle it and its only protected to pick 6 and where the Raptors are at(stuck in the middle of nowhere) we could potentially land a very good pick here, particularly if they lose some bodies to free agency.
  • the 2 Atlanta unprotected picks have the potential to be amazing and the pick swap with the Hawks in '26 might be really useful now we won the Victor stakes
Overall i do agree we will probably trade a chunk of these, i doubt we will move the Atlanta picks unless something amazing comes to the table.

Interesting how we'll approach it. Obviously I don't think we'll be a great team next season but do they push and try to make the play in by adding a few vets to foster the young guys. Or do we bottom out again like this year, although Wemby's floor will probably still lift this side considerably though.
personally i like VanFleet coming in(even though im not a massive fan of his) would be a good move for the next couple of years. I feel a strong veteran presence at the point will be massive for the development of a young list

whats the thoughts our cap space? anybody have a view on who to target?

is someone like a Fred VanVleet a viable option to boost the PG quality and depth chart?

or do we swallow Ben's contract and get the Nets to throw in some more draft capital?

It'll be very interesting how they approach it. I don't think they'll be massive players. Think it will a season of taking stock, seeing how close Wemby is too being an NBA star, getting another year of development into the young core already there and taking a couple more draft picks. Then probably make bigger moves the following season with a heap of cap space and a better idea of where things sit. Apparently there is talk of moving up the draft to get a PG but don't know enough about the draft to know what range they are looking. We don't have enough good assets to get Scoot.

Surely they'll try and bring in a veteran guard. I feel like Tre is more of a back up. Do like him but don't see him being that guy. VanVleet makes a lot of sense, I'm not against it, but not sure they are willing to give him the type of coin he'll command.

Think Simmons was more likely before the lottery win. Really doubt its worth the risk now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sorry to repeat myself but we are losing winnable games cause we don't have a ******* true playmaker :mad:

if Giddey is there to be traded, we need to start using our mountain of picks and make a godfather offer for him

we all know presti loves picks more than anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Back