Opinion The song - why is it so popular?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey all, was on the polls board earlier and came across the club songs thread and while I was aware of it, was surprised to see so much love for the club song. - was probably a clear favourite. I've often heard other fans say Richmond has the best song.

It got me thinking, what is it about our song that other fans love? As a Richmond fan, I love the 'Yellow and Black', the tune, the way the crowds get into it but I would have thought it normal for a fan to like their club's song.

Just not sure why or what opposition fans like about our song to hold it in such high regard and wanted to see if anyone had any ideas?

It got me thinking, what is it about our song that other fans love? As a Richmond fan, I love the 'Yellow and Black', the tune, the way the crowds get into it but I would have thought it normal for a fan to like their club's song.

DEFINITELY the 'Yellow and Black!!!!!!!!!!' bit. Love it. Although I reckon Morro's probably right in that it would get old fast if we heard it every week:p

Geelong's song is kinda boring - the players have put a bit of a spin on it when they sing it after a game, but you don't hear it in the stands like you do the mighty roar of "YELLOW AND BLACK!!"

Punchy tune to sing it to as well.

Lets see if they still love it when they are forced to hear it every week :cool:

This is true. Over the past 30 years or so, we've only sang this song 5 to 8 to 12 times a year. Other supporters think, "Okay, not a bad song", then they forget about it, because we probably didn't win the next week. I want us to have the most annoying song. I want them to feel sick. Because we'll be top 4 then. :thumbsu:

DEFINITELY the 'Yellow and Black!!!!!!!!!!' bit. Love it. Although I reckon Morro's probably right in that it would get old fast if we heard it every week:p

Geelong's song is kinda boring - the players have put a bit of a spin on it when they sing it after a game, but you don't hear it in the stands like you do the mighty roar of "YELLOW AND BLACK!!"

Punchy tune to sing it to as well.

My 2 year old girl loves the YELLOW & BLACK part. Also the Boom Boom Boom Boom.

Eating dinner she usually randomly comes out with Boom Boom Boom Boom whilst shaking here head and follows it up with a YELLOW & BLACK

I couldnt be more proud of my daughter :D.

That'll teach wifey for asking me to sign songs to her when she was upset. I swear its the only song i know ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's just a great easy song to sing , especially for kids . it's embodies what the club and our supporters are all about "PASSION" it is what has helped sustain us through the tough times of the last 30 years. I know my little fella who is 5 loves to sing the song at football especially the "YELLOW AND BLACK" part. The song , The colors ,The tiger emblem .the best trio in the comp !!!!!!!

Lovin' those smacka fitzgibbon and row row row clips. :hearts::hearts::hearts:

The song reaches out on every level. A strong start with a sense of identity, the song tells who we are and where we've come from.:thumbsu:

And even the non-believers are stirred by the enduring passion of 'yellow and black', much like haters of k-pop (are there really any :confused:) can't help singing out loud "Gagnam Style" :eek:

I wish we roared out at the end 'Eat Em Alive" That would be so ultra cool.

And i wonder at what point in time the Yellow and Black was included?

DMOTC_ThemeSong.jpg

Great tune.

Iconic "YELLOW & BLACK"

But the lyrics are what takes it that bit further.
We're from Tigerland ... brilliant. Would not work for any other team (pies-land? blues-land? bomber land?)
A fighting fury ... captures the essence of the tiger and competition
Fight and fight and win ... again, the spirit of the Aussie Football

etc etc etc

Brilliant song.

Its the best song because its a chant its intence like a battlecry..other team songs are mostly very basic to childlike with no thought put into the lyrics or chorus..they basicly sound like a 5 year old has thought the words and chorus up in kindergarden and sang it at show and tell.....the tigers song ROCKS...make them all listen to it every week next year..B R I N G IT !!!

No doubt their are a few of us here who remember the great Smacka Fitzgibbon, well here is his version of the song. Classic stuff.

Just thanks Bazzar ! Made the hair on the back of neck stand up. I've not heard that before, thanks again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back