The washup of the trade/draft period

Remove this Banner Ad

If people think our premiership window is still open for another 2 years then this trade/draft period our starting 22 has gone backwards while we have added quality to our SANFL team.

If we are in a premiership window then this off season has been a fail, a D, and we still only have 1 genuine ruckman of AFL quality on our list.
Nah, I think it improves when we actually have our preferred starting 22 on the field, not in the recovery room.

Time will tell with recruiting but I thought we could of done a bit more to try and position ourselves a bit higher in the draft.

Based on the draft I think we would of got McAdam with a high third rounder. I think we over valued him to help the fallout from losing McGovern.

My main concern is the overall state of the list. I think this time next year we have major changes coming to our list with a number of retirements. I think we kept a few too many list cloggers and that is going to make next years list management much harder.
I think Ottens, McKay and possibly Douglas will all struggle to break into the 22 and play mostly in SANFL which is good for developing the youngsters, then retire so I don't think it will impact us that much.
Jacobs was rumour to be playing with a back injury for the back half of the season after the Showdown, if that is the case, I see another 2 years left with him and Betts, that's when O'Brien, Murphy and this year's recruit/picks need to step-up, possibly get Rankine back next year and Betts play for another year.

Feels like I got what I wanted.
Jones/Caldwell wasn't a Hamish special, most had them in that order (including GWS) or around that mark 8-10.
Sholl and Hamill picks were as predicated by most draft predictor, only McHenry was consider a Hamish special at pick 16 (will it play out like Doedee pick?).

We move the ball pretty quick only if our skills are on point.
The need we’ve addressed is having guys that can get to the fall of the ball and transition forward and back way quicker than what we’ve got.
It’s a win to get numbers at a spill that override the oppo.
Also great endurance tanks.
Job done.
Might change name to Ned mist.

Probably saved ourselves (with a bit of luck) by keeping a strong hand for next year because this year didn’t work out.

Seems we got our choice of the next best group of kids in this draft.

Feels like we’re always a year behind. Matched with Dangerfield but accepted a poor offer from Geelong. Pumped our chests out with claiming Gibbs, then got the deal done a year later (most likely a year too late). In hindsight, was unable to convert Lever, Cameron or McGovern into picks high enough to make the most of this years draft (Fogarty was a good/lucky slider last year). It took Carlton to come to us to prize their 2019 1st Round pick and then we traded down. Seems we like to spend less on good solid players. We get the bargains.

We’ll need our senior and regularly injured players to buck their downward trend to improve on our position next year.

Time will tell if our current playing list is still good enough and our drafting/live trading proves to be a master stroke or if we were too smart for our own good and stuffed the best hand we’ve had at a draft in our history.

If people think our premiership window is still open for another 2 years then this trade/draft period our starting 22 has gone backwards while we have added quality to our SANFL team.

If we are in a premiership window then this off season has been a fail, a D, and we still only have 1 genuine ruckman of AFL quality on our list.
Lol

Probably saved ourselves (with a bit of luck) by keeping a strong hand for next year because this year didn’t work out.

Seems we got our choice of the next best group of kids in this draft.

Feels like we’re always a year behind. Matched with Dangerfield but accepted a poor offer from Geelong. Pumped our chests out with claiming Gibbs, then got the deal done a year later (most likely a year too late). In hindsight, was unable to convert Lever, Cameron or McGovern into picks high enough to make the most of this years draft (Fogarty was a good/lucky slider last year). It took Carlton to come to us to prize their 2019 1st Round pick and then we traded down. Seems we like to spend less on good solid players. We get the bargains.

We’ll need our senior and regularly injured players to buck their downward trend to improve on our position next year.

Time will tell if our current playing list is still good enough and our drafting/live trading proves to be a master stroke or if we were too smart for our own good and stuffed the best hand we’ve had at a draft in our history.
It’s a bit degrading to infer that our selections are next best when we’ve addressed a significant need very well, we would have to give up too much to nab the SA boys and we shaped our turn for next yr.

At least Ogilvie had a crack at Luko and Rankine

http://outline.com/BeM5aG

That's all you can ask.

He clearly loved both.
I don’t understand where he says (in talking about Valente) they “Freo” had a pick just before us.
Were we 30 and they got Valente at 32?

I don’t understand where he says (in talking about Valente) they “Freo” had a pick just before us.
Were we 30 and they got Valente at 32?
They already got the two mid attackers and wanted Will for half back/ wing more than Valente.
But I get what you mean.
He may have been Johnny on the spot with that interview comment.

Like we got some outside pace who can tackle plus all talls for the rookies.
This time next year will we have just used pick 2?
Never going to pry 1-4 without selling the farm or trading out players we want to keep. Think we have a chance to get some of the SA lads back in the next few years.
So a pass for mine. Not overly excited but solid pass.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never going to pry 1-4 without selling the farm or trading out players we want to keep. Think we have a chance to get some of the SA lads back in the next few years.
Dont be so sure we will use pick 2 at the draft.

Cannot believe how delusional Carlton fans are. Yes it's not out of the question that they improve a lot next year and we falter again, but the likelihood of that happening is so minute. It's that likelihood that they using to justify the trade. And that Stocker will be Luke hodge.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cannot believe how delusional Carlton fans are. Yes it's not out of the question that they improve a lot next year and we falter again, but the likelihood of that happening is so minute. It's that likelihood that they using to justify the trade. And that Stocker will be Luke hodge.

It's a good risk to take for both clubs really.

Is he related to Johnny Stocker?
Man that guy could ride a horse.

Based on 2018 results, they’d have to win 3 or more additional games and we’d have to lose 5 or more additional games for it to have any ladder impact.

They had the worst season ever all the while with Cripps being one of the top 3 players of the season. Not sure he can back it up.

2019 - Trade Pick 1 to GC for Rankine and Lukosius. Thanks Carlton.

Out: Mitch McGovern, Picks 7, 13, 19, 37, 67, 2019 first, 2019 Third
In: Rankine, Lukiosius, Chayce Jones, Ned McHenry, Will Hamill, Lachlan Sholl, Shane McAdam, Tyson Stengle, 2019 second (Carlton)

Based on 2018 results, they’d have to win 3 or more additional games and we’d have to lose 5 or more additional games for it to have any ladder impact.

They had the worst season ever all the while with Cripps being one of the top 3 players of the season. Not sure he can back it up.
Fun fact.
There is a bit of humanity to it.

I'm content with that draft period.

Jones looks like a very good prospect, I do straight up love the Hamill pick and whilst I'm completely baffled why we used a first round for this at the current time, at least McHenry seems a very safe bet to have a long career here. Scholl/Butts seem like good projects too, and we've got a tad more ruck depth. Also the trading was A+ with us getting a top 3 pick next year.

Probably my only disappointment was we didn't get one of the big 4 SA lads, but I get letting Hately go through to the keeper at 8.

Never said we'd use it in the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back