"They use you as babysitters" : Kelly

Remove this Banner Ad

ShriekingShack

Senior List
Jun 9, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Former Geelong trier James Kelly has complained about AFL school visits, saying that teachers "use players as babysitters". He also hinted that players hate school visits.

He revealed that he is glad that school visits will be changed under the new agreement reached by the players and the AFL.

I'd be more than happy to swap places with you James. I'll take that 600k off your hands and relieve you of that terrible burden of kicking a footy with a few kids.

Full article here.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-22/player-school-visits-in-for-shakeup-under-new-cba

Former Geelong trier James Kelly has complained about AFL school visits, saying that teachers "use players as babysitters". He also hinted that players hate school visits.

He revealed that he is glad that school visits will be changed under the new agreement reached by the players and the AFL.

I'd be more than happy to swap places with you James. I'll take that 600k off your hands and relieve you of that terrible burden of kicking a footy with a few kids.

Full article here.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-22/player-school-visits-in-for-shakeup-under-new-cba

This thread is something that Hutchy or Purple would start up. At no point does it suggest players hate visiting schools. It actually says that no player has a problem with going to school, but that they aren't school teachers, and shouldn't be responsible for having to plan hour and a half sessions with no idea of the amount of kids they'll be taking, equipment or space they'll have or getting any help from the teachers. I cant see a down side to a better organised product which is effectively more beneficial to the players, the schools and the kids.

Read the full atricle, not just the 4 words the OP has taken out it, it may shed some more light.
Slightly sensationalist OP given the article. Is the OP Damien Barrett by any chance ??

This annoys me a bit, we need to be careful not to fan the flame that teachers are in anyway lazy or not doing their jobs. I highly doubt Kelly has any idea the amount of work that those teachers will have to complete that day. Unprofessional if the individual teachers who are pissing off and leaving the players to fend of themselves but really sounds like more of a communication problem than anything else.

He's right that there should be more planning going into the visits but that responsibility falls onto the clubs/AFL/players to think of how they are going to use that time, don't give the teacher another lesson to plan that they'll then have to manage.

Read the full atricle, not just the 4 words the OP has taken out it, it may shed some more light.

"Or you go to do a school, no word of a lie, this has actually happened, you go to a school and a teacher hands you 60 kids and two footies and says, 'You're here for an hour and a half, all right, I'll come back then'.

Does this actually happen? Not sure either way but it certainly is illegal, not even teacher aides are allowed to be left alone with primary school kids, it would be their jobs if a teacher allowed this and something like this would be difficult to cover up. AFL players coming to a school is a pretty high profile event, the majority of the time the teachers want to get involved as well, it would find it highly unlikely that the teachers wouldn't want to be involved.

If it did happen all Kelly has to do is report it once, that teacher would lose their job and it would never happen again. Why is he reporting it to a media outlet instead?

"Or you go to do a school, no word of a lie, this has actually happened, you go to a school and a teacher hands you 60 kids and two footies and says, 'You're here for an hour and a half, all right, I'll come back then'.

Does this actually happen? Not sure either way but it certainly is illegal, not even teacher aides are allowed to be left alone with primary school kids, it would be their jobs if a teacher allowed this and something like this would be difficult to cover up. AFL players coming to a school is a pretty high profile event, the majority of the time the teachers want to get involved as well, it would find it highly unlikely that the teachers wouldn't want to be involved.

If it did happen all Kelly has to do is report it once, that teacher would lose their job and it would never happen again. Why is he reporting it to a media outlet instead?

When my girlfriend was a student teacher she was left alone with a class of preps nearly every week.

When my girlfriend was a student teacher she was left alone with a class of preps nearly every week.

How many AFL players are student teachers?

Can you really imagine a group of AFL players going to a school and no teacher wanting to have anything to do with them?

Maybe he has reported it to the AFL or the school, who knows - I'm not James Kelly. Perhaps he was just answering a question or giving his opinion to explain to the public what goes on sometimes (i.e not always).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe he has reported it to the AFL or the school, who knows - I'm not James Kelly. Perhaps he was just answering a question or giving his opinion to explain to the public what goes on sometimes (i.e not always).

What proof do we have that it happens though, I find it highly unlikely that no teacher would want to get involved with AFL players visiting a school.

How many AFL players are student teachers?

Can you really imagine a group of AFL players going to a school and no teacher wanting to have anything to do with them?
Yeah I agree that claim seems far-fetched, I expect there is some school representative on site even if they're not taking part in the lesson itself. You did cite that even teachers aides can't be left-alone with a bunch of kids and it would be an immediate sacking if it happened, just saying that might not be the exact case.

What proof do we have that it happens though, I find it highly unlikely that no teacher would want to get involved with AFL players visiting a school.

See above - (i.e not always).

I'm sure there are plenty of times where things run smoothly. What he is calling for is a uniformed, more organised and professional approach to these types of situations.

This thread is something that Hutchy or Purple would start up. At no point does it suggest players hate visiting schools. It actually says that no player has a problem with going to school, but that they aren't school teachers, and shouldn't be responsible for having to plan hour and a half sessions with no idea of the amount of kids they'll be taking, equipment or space they'll have or getting any help from the teachers. I cant see a down side to a better organised product which is effectively more beneficial to the players, the schools and the kids.

Disgusting, its almost as if you read the article and came up with a rational suggestion instead of knee jerking and assuming AFL players hate children.

As a teacher, can I say that I'd never dump responsibility of my students on to a visiting footballer... however, s**t form by Jimmy for having a sook about it.

A school visit is maybe 1-2 hours, and poor Jimmy is still taking home 300-400k a year (after tax) and having a sook. I have the students for 25-30hrs a week, and I'm taking home about 55k a year (after tax).

That OP is pretty close to a perfect example of the type of thing Buckley was discussing on Footy Classified; taking a few lines out of context and spinning up some controversy.

The OP makes it out like Kelly is sooking about having to visit schools, but having read the article it seems to me that Kelly just wants the visits to be managed better.

It's not rocket science

Have a few footballs (a few dozen if need be) and do handball drills, kick to kick, marks etc.

Wouldn't happen today but a good ol fashion British Bulldog game would be lots of fun :D

The footballers of today needed to get some concrete and harden up. Wanting more $$$$ for little effort, peahearts!

That OP is pretty close to a perfect example of the type of thing Buckley was discussing on Footy Classified; taking a few lines out of context and spinning up some controversy.

The OP makes it out like Kelly is sooking about having to visit schools, but having read the article it seems to me that Kelly just wants the visits to be managed better.

Plenty of posters here on BigFooty clearly have an agenda - People see what they want to see or read what they want to read in this case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back