Society & Culture Things that Make You Feel Old

Remove this Banner Ad

Not my year, but close enough, a former housemate and a fiancée of someone else from the same share house. Both a year below when I was in year 12, both gone by 35.
From year 10 (grades 11&12 separate in Tas) one in a car crash at perhaps 20, very small rural high school so one person means about 3% of the year group.
I presume quite a few more that I don't know about. I haven't seen anyone from grade 10 for decades, and not many from year 12 - who basically only know the same group.

I ran away for my 40th, trying to hide from it. I figured by the time I got any older I wouldn't physically be able to go to Antarctica (av pic is from elephant island). I think I spend most of the actual day on a bus in Peru.

Next I have to run away for my 50th, except I don't have the energy even if borders open.
I reckon Tasmania would be the best place todo that- some absolutely gorgeous places to get lost down there. And they got apples.

Why are you guys scared about it? It's literally just a number and another year.
It's mortality. The higher the number, the closer you are to curtains. No one who is alive and wants to stay alive really wants to die or deteriorate. We'll accept it slowly as it comes but it's nothing to look forward too.

It's mortality. The higher the number, the closer you are to curtains. No one who is alive and wants to stay alive really wants to die or deteriorate. We'll accept it slowly as it comes but it's nothing to look forward too.
Nope not about that either. Not for me anyway

I agree to an extent, but life is what you make it too.

You could get hit by a bus tomorrow, just live life and enjoy it.

Yeah i just cracked open my photo ablums- and a pic of George (discussed him in the Questions thread yesterday) dressed in a 70s costume (our theme that xmas party was 54), with the biggest grin across his face you'll ever see. He definitely enjoyed his life going by that photo.

/aw man getting emotional now. Hoyts xmas parties were the best.

FWIW for me- re. the whole 40 thing. And please, am not trying to whinge here at all- im very grateful for what i have. But yeah for me- its like if i could paint some kind of pucture, it would be me, trapped in quick sand- and i have nfi how to get out... and ppl meanwhile- friends, family whoever are just walking on by with their milestones, with their weddings, and kids and whatever it is. And im stuck right here in my quicksand, like the horse in Never Ending Story.

Thats really why i got/get sad when I turned 40. Nothing really to do with getting closer to death. Id *ing welcome it sooner than later tbh rn :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :thumbsupv1:

Correct, and at 40 with my family history I'm closer to the end than the start, that's what's scary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

my grandma was doing well at 87 until she had to go in a nursing home and willed herself to die

Sorry to hear that. It’s often the case though. Both of my Nan’s went out in a home. They were at different levels of homes but they are all depressing.

Would much rather go out before that stage.

My yia yia died in her house. Was very grateful for that. And as luck so happens i saw her two days before it occurred

i saw one of my Nans in hospital on a visit to Australia. Hadn’t been to visit for a couple of years. She passed away while I was flying home. Very happy I got to see her that last time.

Sorry to hear that. It’s often the case though. Both of my Nan’s went out in a home. They were at different levels of homes but they are all depressing.

Would much rather go out before that stage.

we hated to go there, it was so depressing and when we would visit, my grandma would say she didn't want to be there then after a couple visits wouldnt even acknowledge we was there, and all the family that went and visited have all said we don't to be in a nursing home if we can help it

If you make it to 80 i dont think you'll really give a sh*t when death comes - good innings etc
Wrong. If you are healthy and still have your marbles life is still good (I'm told ;) ).

Not 80 yet, but closer to it than you lot.

Keith Richard:
"When I was 20 I didn't want to be 30. When I was 30 I didn't want to be 40. Since I turned 40 I want to hit a hundred."

Attributed to Churchill but there's some debate:
“When you’re 20 you care what everyone thinks, when you’re 40 you stop caring what everyone thinks, when you’re 60 you realize no one was ever thinking about you in the first place."

Mick Jagger (in 1975):
"I’d rather be dead than sing Satisfaction when I’m 45.”

The Who:
"Hope I die before I get old."
(Daltrey 76, Townshend 75, Moon died aged 32, Entwistle died aged 57)

All-time classic

I'm 35 turning 36 this year and even now I'm starting to stress about it

I always think I hope when it happens its fast/painless and no remains (eg just explode instantly somehow)

My brain goes in to this infinite loop that thinks that even if it is fast/painless I'm going to be standing behind myself still feeling it. Then I try to somehow get my mind around the fact that I won't actually be conscious of the fact I'm dead. Then I get weirded out.

Wrong. If you are healthy and still have your marbles life is still good (I'm told ;) ).

Not 80 yet, but closer to it than you lot.

Keith Richard:
"When I was 20 I didn't want to be 30. When I was 30 I didn't want to be 40. Since I turned 40 I want to hit a hundred."

Attributed to Churchill but there's some debate:
“When you’re 20 you care what everyone thinks, when you’re 40 you stop caring what everyone thinks, when you’re 60 you realize no one was ever thinking about you in the first place."

Mick Jagger (in 1975):
"I’d rather be dead than sing Satisfaction when I’m 45.”

The Who:
"Hope I die before I get old."
(Daltrey 76, Townshend 75, Moon died aged 32, Entwistle died aged 57)

All-time classic

Keef doesn't need to worry about hitting the ton, he's filled with so many chemicals he'll be fine

Second quote is absolutely spot on BTW

Remove this Banner Ad

Back