Thoughts on Your Teams Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

That's another one of the things I'm loving about those we've drafted for the forward line in the last 3 drafts. Some of them are extremely accurate when shooting for goal. Arryn Siposs two years ago, Ahmed Saad last year and both Tom Lee and Spencer White were exceptionally accurate this year. There's not much worse from a footy POV than having someone get a lot of the footy up forward, but then spray their shots for goal all over creation.
dont forget TDL who never misses a shot for goal

Richmond love picking guys earlier than most thought they would go. Did it with Conca and now with Vlastuin, not a bad thing, they got their man.

Happy with West Coasts draft, Colledge and Carter will be good, I know Carter personally, ripper bloke and deserves his opportunity. Hutchings obviously impressed recruiters enough this year to deserve a shot. I don't mind picking him there, he is depth. Hoping for Nelson in the RD.

Hutchings was a good choice in the 60s coming off a second in the Sandover. Depth inside mid player

Carter's an interesting one. Was first or second round in some early phantom drafts so he slid beautifully

Colledge i can see more as a tall midfielder / third tall forward than a power forward but his got good qualities. Only played a handful of games or Perth in 2012 as more of a lead up CHF but his stats numbers were good

Only thing that could have rounded out a perfect draft for me was an extra pick to select Nick Rodda with. Fearful we may not get him

Getting obliterated by Daniher in front of every recruiter would have destroyed Rodda's chances. Be surprised if he gets taken in the rookie draft.

Numerous teams overlooked Menzel incase you weren't all aware so people can stop just mentioning Richmond passing on him. I realise it's popular to troll Richmond's picks because in the past you've generally always been correct but as of late we've been pretty good.

Richmond have done very well in recent times but the jury may be out on Conca for some time yet.
Having said that, it's not all about "one player" anyway, but the cohesiveness that that player works in, within the squad and the coaches instructions at large.

Trust me, I support a team who had a pick in the top five and Vlastuin was never mentioned at all in calculations.
Dogs don't need a Vlastuin or Wines. They need a potential matchwinning forward/mid in Stringer and Macrae who reportedly have X factor.
wait a sec is that the same depth that had you losing to gold coast and port this season
The depth Buckley recruited to add run and penetrating kicking to his backline. I guess he hasn't seen a lot Russell.

I'd rather roll the dice on Menzel than get a vanilla mid-late first round player.

Temay probably wouldn't have fallen through to #69, but I thought it was worth a punt. Menzel at #11, Membrey at #35, Graham at #54 and Temay at #69 would have been perfect.

Although with a $680k operating loss last year, we probably couldn't afford laser scrubbing for the AFL's new worst tattoo.

Why?

He's performed very well.

Jury is out on someone like a Jared Polec from that draft not Conca.

Conca has definitely done better than Poleac but Conca is likely to be solid but not spectacular for the rest of his career.

150+ game player and a few top 5 B&F finishes but won't be an AA or a star. Not running him down, just my take.

Conca has definitely done better than Poleac but Conca is likely to be solid but not spectacular for the rest of his career.

150+ game player and a few top 5 B&F finishes but won't be an AA or a star. Not running him down, just my take.

Who knows. Maybe, maybe not.

Not many drafts produce multiple stars/AA's especially after where he was picked.

I'll take a 150/200 gamer who will be a regular up in the B&F. All I know is he improved significantly from last year and I suggest will do again this year.

Conca = yawn. Is an all rounder and can't see him improving much on the type of player he is.

Who cares if he doesn't have the 'X factor' or ability to excite, as other do?

Conca probably won't be a star, but he's shown he's a solid, capable footballer and from where I sit I'm pretty comfortable in saying he'll have a 150+ game career.

Very solid footballer.

I hate Richmond and am more than happy to stick the boots in if it's warranted, but Conca is a good young footballer. Who gives a s**t if he's not flashy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy with picks 5 & 6, obviously identified as best available in our eyes which is almost what must happen in the top 10. To be honest despite what many are saying over Hrovat and Prudden I would have preferred one of those to have been a Key Position Player, not necessarily a forward (Morris also off a broken leg, doubts over Roughead, Austin and Markovic's ability to be competent enough defenders, the trading of Lake and the retirement of Hargrave who also played on the talls would meant looking for someone else to compliment Talia from 2011).

Only had the 2 picks so not a busy day for us. Was initially disappointed we didn't grab Grundy when we had the chance but we do have a few rucks on our list and the club clearly has confidence that Simpson, West and Vardy can carry us long term.

Thurlow looks a handy type - running defender with great skills that is good overhead who can play a range of roles - a real Wells type. Should be a good replacement for Enright.

Hartman Is a speculative type who potentially could be anything. Happy to take someone like him with a pick in the 70's.

Didn't necessarily want us to draft a ruckman or another midget to add to our collection.
I am happy with Grundy though as he has undeniable talent and some scope to play up forward. While Kennedy looks a decent prospect I was hoping to overlook him, I guess if we wanted to add to our midfield he was the best available. Broomhead and Ramsey I like, typical Dekker types.

Getting obliterated by Daniher in front of every recruiter would have destroyed Rodda's chances. Be surprised if he gets taken in the rookie draft.

You can't judge a player on one game vs an elite player. His whole body of work is pretty solid.

Thought we reached a tad getting Towers at 22, and got an absolute steal with Membrey at 46. I think we did as well as we could with our picks.

Going purely on highlight video's, I love the look of Terlich. If any SANFL watchers can give me an idea on his strengths and weaknesses it'd be much appreciated. He looks to have plenty of leg speed, marks well for his size and uses the ball well when he gets his hands on it. Toumpas and Viney look to be terrific pick ups, while Kent appears to be another clearance winner which we could certainly use.

Far to early to say whether it's a success or not, but I like the types we have gone for. As a team who's midfield is continually smashed, we have snagged two inside ball winners who can use the footy, a classy outside type, an older running midfielder and a back flanker who could push up the ground and win his own ball.

was so angry we didn't pick up Membrey at 42. :(

I know I was hoping we'd pick him at 22. And then just no one picked him up and I kept hoping and hoping he'd slide to us at 44 and he did and we picked Harrison Marsh, I couldn't believe it. Then finally we had the senses to pick him at 46

Honestly don't quite know what to think.

Bar (obviously) Daniher, Gregory and the rake Gleeson (we won't see the latter two for at least 2 years IMHO, very very skinny), it seems that they have concentrated exclusively on smart, hard-working guys who they see fitting into a smart, hard-working, zone system.

I think, given our defensive deficiencies over the last ~6 years, that makes a bit of sense. We need to stop crucifying our tall backs with shoddy work up the field. Can't/won't comment on whether they are any good, for a good long while yet.

Apparently we rated 25 players as "draftable" in this draft. Dunno what we would have done if they were all gone

By the time we selected McDonough at 42, there were 3 left on our list.

Just FYI

I like the McIntosh and McDonough picks immenseley. Vlas is likely to be very good, and reliably so. That'll do. McBean has stunning disposal for a big bloke, but I'm not sold on his aggression. I guess that might come

Conca = yawn. Is an all rounder and can't see him improving much on the type of player he is.
He's getting a game, has begun racking up some bigger numbers and even kicked a few goals. So, going OK... cf. Polec.
Didn't Polec's old man say he would definitely head back to Adelaide at the end of 2013?

He's getting a game, has begun racking up some bigger numbers and even kicked a few goals. So, going OK... cf. Polec.
Didn't Polec's old man say he would definitely head back to Adelaide at the end of 2013?

Just after he said Post will be at the Lions in 2013. :D:p:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back