Social Science Tight arse things you or others do

Remove this Banner Ad

I can quite easily go to the movies and not eat. Prefer to have a drink of something though. Like fast food chains they always want to upsell you from a reasonable sized container of popcorn to a bathtub full.

Cinemas really do take the piss. You'd think that in 2018 when you can pretty much download a movie in full HD before it's even been made (think: Spaceballs) that places like Hoyts would want to encourage people to go to the movies rather than charge them $25 for a ticket then $25 for a drink and popcorn combo. But hey if people keep going and along and paying the prices charged then it's good business.

I can quite easily go to the movies and not eat. Prefer to have a drink of something though. Like fast food chains they always want to upsell you from a reasonable sized container of popcorn to a bathtub full.

Cinemas really do take the piss. You'd think that in 2018 when you can pretty much download a movie in full HD before it's even been made (think: Spaceballs) that places like Hoyts would want to encourage people to go to the movies rather than charge them $25 for a ticket then $25 for a drink and popcorn combo. But hey if people keep going and along and paying the prices charged then it's good business.
Hoyt's Carousel and Reading Belmont; $10 tickets. To me, that's a fair price in this day and age and I now see more movies on the big screen than I did when they were charging $20.

It's along the same line of going to a pub to watch a game of footy though, isn't it? Beers and food are cheaper at home and you're watching the exact same thing but paying a premium. People go to get out of the house, people with kids especially as it's an outing and the kids can shut up for an hour then you can go to the food court afterwards (if it's in a centre) and buy some salmonella infused Chinese.

Well they've also got to make money somewhere and I guess it's from the snacks. This could go in another thread on here but I always stash some lollies in my pocket, * buying their s**t.

Not eating in a cinema is fine when it's 10.30am on Monday and empty or close enough. On a weekend seeing a franchise movie that goes for nearly 3 hours - if you're going to the movies now that's usually the case - surrounded by 300 people eating and drinking it's a less fun option.

Well they've also got to make money somewhere and I guess it's from the snacks. This could go in another thread on here but I always stash some lollies in my pocket, **** buying their s**t.

They make money from ticket sales and blaring ads at you. "Oh candy bar's where we make our money" is the bullshit line to guilt you into not complaining about the giant mark ups.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just walk through with it in hand. Some 16 year old checking tickets isn’t going to care.

I'm not badass enough to do this.

They make money from ticket sales and blaring ads at you. "Oh candy bar's where we make our money" is the bullshit line to guilt you into not complaining about the giant mark ups.

Meh, just bring your own and don't whinge I suggest.

Hoyt's Carousel and Reading Belmont; $10 tickets. To me, that's a fair price in this day and age and I now see more movies on the big screen than I did when they were charging $20.

Carousel is just during the renos isn't it? I've been to the Belmont one once, was fine. I'm not a big moviegoer though so whether it's $10 or $50 doesn't influence me greatly. Used to go heaps as a kid. Train to Cannington, get off and walk to Carousel shops (generally being accosted for a dollah or a smoke), get a cup of lollies from Target then walk over to the cinema that was a separate building. The way it was set up you could buy a ticket to one movie then hang around for 2 or 3 if you wanted to.

It's along the same line of going to a pub to watch a game of footy though, isn't it? Beers and food are cheaper at home and you're watching the exact same thing but paying a premium. People go to get out of the house, people with kids especially as it's an outing and the kids can shut up for an hour then you can go to the food court afterwards (if it's in a centre) and buy some salmonella infused Chinese.

I only go to the pub to watch the footy if it's a group thing with a bunch of people going.

On here people talk up going to the pub because they don't want to pay for Foxtel, but end up spending $50-100 whenever they go to the pub anyway.

Carousel is just during the renos isn't it? I've been to the Belmont one once, was fine. I'm not a big moviegoer though so whether it's $10 or $50 doesn't influence me greatly. Used to go heaps as a kid. Train to Cannington, get off and walk to Carousel shops (generally being accosted for a dollah or a smoke), get a cup of lollies from Target then walk over to the cinema that was a separate building. The way it was set up you could buy a ticket to one movie then hang around for 2 or 3 if you wanted to.
You could still do that if you're game enough, though by the third it may be a bit suspicious

Used to do the same (Target cup of only fizzy cola bottles). As for Carousel, not sure; the renos are a factor but so is having Reading around the corner charging $10. I'm much more inclined to go see a blockbuster on my own after the kids have gone to be for $10. Wouldn't do it for $20.

I only go to the pub to watch the footy if it's a group thing with a bunch of people going.

On here people talk up going to the pub because they don't want to pay for Foxtel, but end up spending $50-100 whenever they go to the pub anyway.
I find the "I only don't want to get it because it is supporting that evil Murdoch!" the most amusing.

I find the "I only don't want to get it because it is supporting that evil Murdoch!" the most amusing.
Most big corporations are owned by assholes, but Murdoch tries to manipulate our government and social fabric for his own personal gain, so * him.

As for those saying Foxtel is cheap, it's relative. Netflix costs $13 a month and provides you with thousands of hours of film, TV, stand-up comedy, documentary, kids TV and more. Fox is a rip.

What sport is on Netflix?

I just find it funny when people single out Murdoch when you pretty much can't buy anything without being involved with evil corporate organisations. Say you did your shopping at Woolies this morning, it's supporting a company with a looong history of screwing over suppliers and contractors and is heavily involved in misery making pokies. But if it is by far the closest shop to your house what are you gonna do?

Foxtel is $10 a week for shitload of sport, hardly budget crushing. I think a lot people just don't want to admit they think it's their god given right to get all footy for free (even if it has never, ever been like this) and they are being tightarses.

What sport is on Netflix?

I just find it funny when people single out Murdoch when you pretty much can't buy anything without being involved with evil corporate organisations. Say you did your shopping at Woolies this morning, it's supporting a company with a looong history of screwing over suppliers and contractors and is heavily involved in misery making pokies. But if it is by far the closest shop to your house what are you gonna do?

Foxtel is $10 a week for shitload of sport, hardly budget crushing. I think a lot people just don't want to admit they think it's their god given right to get all footy for free (even if it has never, ever been like this) and they are being tightarses.
Woolies has been run by different people over different times...Murdoch is a singular campaigner with a history of being a scumbag.

And of course Netflix doesn't show sport, but the products are comparable, and Foxtel is well behind. I actually look forward to the day Netflix decides to invest in sport, because then Fox won't be able to continue its gouge. If I could buy just the sport, not a plethora of s**t channels, for $20, then I would argue it presents value. It does not. I get Netflix and all the music I could possibly listen to for half the price of Fox.

Netflix and Foxtel/FTA terrestrial TV aren't comparable in Australia. I can get all manner of live sport in HD 24/7 at my house on Fox. With Netflix if I wanted to watch a movie I'd need to start a download, take the dog for a walk then come back. We saw during the WC the Optus live sport streaming debacle. And yes Murdoch shoulders blame for our piss poor internet speeds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back