Live Event Toby Greene fronts the tribunal - Suspension appeal

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toby has had a serious case of red mist against the Dogs, and I can only surmise it is because he cost them a GF berth with his selfish decision to torch free teammates and go for glory deep in the last qtr of the 2016 PF. It is a moment he won't get back and he may well miss out on another chance at premiership redemption in this finals series if the trivunal find him guilty of eye gouging.
Got you to turn around eventually ;)

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm not that pi**ed we lost seriously. We got 2016 so we're ahead. But seriously reckon that piling on, tackling, head smashing stuff needs to be stopped. Or we just bring back the biffo and punch on!
It was certainly rough by any standards, and Toby was an extra man in to the contest late, after the man not the ball, something which league I believe rules against. The focus should be on that not the evidenceless gouging.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Give me your explanation, would love to hear it. Why has Greene repeatedly committed reportable indiscretions against the exact same team since 2017?

Maybe because Bevo's Bogans use niggly/roughouse tactics that get under his skin and he reacts accordingly?

If your going to poke the bear, don't cry wolf if he claws back. Doggies aren't the innocent lambs in these spiteful clash. Of course Greene has a short fuse and has to work on his anger issues, but I would suggest the Dogs themselves need to clean up their acts as well. It's a two way street.

Given Greene has been charged with 'serious misconduct' (due to the combination of hair pulling, facial contact and pressure on Bontempelli's head, as explained by Christian on the AFL website), rather than the classifiable offence of 'eye gouging' which many are arguing for - if the evidence is actually there, would/could the tribunal add in an additional charge of gouging, on top of the original charge? Or can they only trial him on the single original charge?

Maybe because Bevo's Bogans use niggly/roughouse tactics that get under his skin and he reacts accordingly?

If your going to poke the bear, don't cry wolf if he claws back. Doggies aren't the innocent lambs in these spiteful clash. Of course Greene has a short fuse and has to work on his anger issues, but I would suggest the Dogs themselves need to clean up their acts as well. It's a two way street.
Haven't seen any evidence of that in the last 3 years to be honest. Libba and Heath Shaw have had some niggle but there hasn't been anything of note to Greene over and above any other GWS players. He simply lacks discipline and loses control against the Bullies it seems. Would be a shame for him if he misses out on a potential flag in 2019 through self-inflicted wounds.

Haven't seen any evidence of that in the last 3 years to be honest. Libba and Heath Shaw have had some niggle but there hasn't been anything of note to Greene over and above any other GWS players. He simply lacks discipline and loses control against the Bullies it seems. Would be a shame for him if he misses out on a potential flag in 2019 through self-inflicted wounds.

Yes, and he will have to live with that, but really the Giants aren't getting past the Pies in the Prelim, assuming they beat The Lions next week.

No doubt that the club will work hard on Toby to reign in his temper/white line fever over the off-season. But i still suspect that The Dogs always seem to find a way to get under his skin, and I suppose he needs to rise above that

Who gives a fu**. Dermie was the same against Ess, sure there's been plenty of Coll v Carl players.
Leon Cameron will if Greene is rubbed out for multiple weeks. He is that good he could make a critical difference in the next couple of weeks - conversely he would be virtually impossible to replace if he is rubbed out.

So, if we'd made it Cam Zurhaar would have been playing his first final and I don't think he'd have taken a backward step.

The Dogs have some good young talent no doubt. The question is are they are a team that loves flipping the ball around under the roof at Docklands, or a team that can win hard physical games when the intensity is at its max.

I reckon you really missed Libba, he's made for those games.

We really missed Libba, Wallis, Picken, M.Boyd, Morris and Clay Smith from the last time we played them in a final. Need some of that mongrel for finals.

*that being said that's the most fired up I've seen a team in finals outside of the hawks in 2008.

Last edited:
Given Greene has been charged with 'serious misconduct' (due to the combination of hair pulling, facial contact and pressure on Bontempelli's head, as explained by Christian on the AFL website), rather than the classifiable offence of 'eye gouging' which many are arguing for - if the evidence is actually there, would/could the tribunal add in an additional charge of gouging, on top of the original charge? Or can they only trial him on the single original charge?
I’d think that it would be added to the mix.

I don’t think we’ll find any vision of an actual gouge - it’ll be up to The Bont to tell us what happened.

If he said his eyes were unaffected, we have to believe him.

If he says he was gouged and on the vision we have all seen you have to believe him.

If he tells the truth and Greene gouged, I’ll have lost a lot of respect for him. If he lies to get him off the charge and Greene gouged him, I’ll have lost respect for Greene but I’d also now love the Bont.

I don’t think we’ll find any vision of an actual gouge - it’ll be up to The Bont to tell us what happened.

If he says he was gouged and on the vision we have all seen you have to believe him.

If he tells the truth and Greene gouged, I’ll have lost a lot of respect for him. If he lies to get him off the charge and Greene gouged him, I’ll have lost respect for Greene but I’d also now love the Bont.
There is footage of Bont hunched over after the gut punch from Himmelberg, still in the first quarter but about 5 minutes after the incident with Toby and his eye is already starting to swell up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bont can't really win if Greene did actually gouge him and gives evidence to support this. People will either say he's a sook for not lying on behalf of Greene, or that he's lying to get Greene suspended.

He's got form in that regard, expect Greene to go for eight weeks.

Bont can't really win if Greene did actually gouge him and gives evidence to support this. People will either say he's a sook for not lying on behalf of Greene, or that he's lying to get Greene suspended.
He can only answer the questions asked as honesty as he can. We all then have to take it or leave it.

There is footage of Bont hunched over after the gut punch from Himmelberg, still in the first quarter but about 5 minutes after the incident with Toby and his eye is already starting to swell up.
Some bloke has put up a photo of Bont hitting a players shin early doors too. Same side of the face as the black eye he was sporting at the end of the game.

He had no reason to be even in there. He saw Bont on the floor and said to himself "Ooo here's a chance"
He deliberately went in there to target Bonts head with his own hands.
It was not a football action nor was it accidental.
If you are trying to defend Toby for what he did here you either did not see what he did, have blinkers on or are just trolling.

Is this the sort of thing the AFL want to stamp out? Do we want to send a message to the lower grades and kids that this is or isn't ok to do?
I guess we will see soon.

P.S, Toby Greene is a very fine player with a lot of skill and definite white line fever, but if you cross the line and do a deliberate illegal act you should be punished.
And after insering himself as you say he started having a go, stopped, looked around to see the umps werent watching and did it again. Does he think hes playing u14s and there arent any cameras?

Complete idiot. Kids will be watching that and it needs to be punished.

Leon Cameron will if Greene is rubbed out for multiple weeks. He is that good he could make a critical difference in the next couple of weeks - conversely he would be virtually impossible to replace if he is rubbed out.

We get called plastic, soul-less, franchise club with no history. This is how rivalries and history are built, clubs hating one another, it's been happening for 100 years. We love Toby and how he plays, he flew the flag for a team mate who was lucky to be not injured from a dangerous tackle by the oppo player pushing the boundaries for the 2nd game in a row. It's what mates do for mates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back