Opinion Tom Jonas will be a good captain

Remove this Banner Ad

I know his kicking is hit and miss but for leading from the front and putting a physical stamp on the game, it's Charlie. Would be SPP but I suspect the off field media wouldn't be his bag

up there with ben "pinchy" stratton and nathan van berlo as most inept club captains. an absolute plodder.

matt thomas would have been a better captain

if you wiki him, his only career highlight is port adelaide captain 2019-present

not even an AA squad of 40 inclusion in his entire career.
Yeah he is past it. Shouldn't be captain this year and definitely should be dropped next week (when is the last time a captain was dropped?).

However you might want to try getting your stats from the club web site instead. - All Australian nominee i.e. squad of 40 (2017, 2018, 2020)

Mind you doesn't help when your coach picks one key full back and your best rebounding defenders are asked to play lock down roles. However Jonas was done last year and we went ahead and drafted KD's that won't be ready for at least 2 years. It might be a godsend that Pasini has recovered from his ACL early.

Last edited:
So now that we only have one sole captain, things will automatically be better, whether by a small amount or a good amount we'll have to wait and see. But even so people are still (and fairly) unsatisfied to see TJ remain the captain after an average at best season last year, but how bad is it?

True his [performance in 2019 was underwhelming, and unacceptable for a peak aged captain, but looking back at the new brand of football we experimented with, I believe that Jonas struggled to integrate with it. Jonas is a slow and tough defender, and usually really strong with 1 on 1 play and defensive clearances when needed, but after re watching some games from 2019, I took notice of how fast paced and mobile our defense was, all credit to Brett Montgomery. The defensive style itself isn't bad at all, and managed to work up some rare wonders in 2019, but compared to the tougher and slower defense we built up in years prior, it was clearly too quick for Jonas. His injury early in the season didn't help him keep up either. Jonas played his best in 2019 on the half back flank, where he could get decent disposal numbers, but even at his best he normally had little impact on the result of our wins. To add salt to the wound, when Dougal started playing up forward, Jonas was forced to play the key defense role, which failed miserably due to his lack of height, as did Clurey since we had NO OTHER TALL KEY DEFENDERS.

Jonas had it tough in 2019, and I think its fair for people to declare him responsible for his average performance, but I personally can't blame him too much considering the new defensive style and the role he was forced into as a tall defender. Realistically the best thing to do is play Jonas primarily on the HBF to get the most out of him, which might be hard with the other defenders we have taking up a similar role, but if done right he might be allowed to get back to influencing the game a bit more again.

And yes, I won't ignore the primary complaint we all share, what about Hamish Hartlett?

Personally I think Jonas is much better suited to serve as captain over Hammer, they both share a very similar passion for the club, but TJ has something Hammer doesn't, and that's the smarts of a true captain. When I think of Jonas I also think of Tom Harley and Nick Maxwell, and whether or not you like or dislike either of those names is subjective, but its players like them that win premierships, as they both did. As players they were never anything special, or even very influential, especially in the case of Tom Harley, but as CAPTAINS they were very smart and strong leaders. Nick Maxwell even had to break his coaches game plan to give Cloke a vital goal in the 2010 GF. That's what premiership captains do, they read the game and lead their boys the right way. I won't say that TJ is a premiership captain, because we would need a premiership team first, but combined with the fact that TJ has a formal University education doubles as a great guy in the media as well, I think that Jonas is the best suited player on our list to be the captain right now. I still think Hammer is a great player and objectively speaking better than TJ, but I simply feel that TJ has the personality and smarts of a true captain. And let's be honest, there are many more areas of our list that need improving right now anyways.

This may be unpopular, but right now its one of the only aspects of our club i'm felling somewhat optimistic about.
Ahhh, what a poster this guy was. I think he is still here under an alias but my word what a loon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if you wiki him, his only career highlight is port adelaide captain 2019-present

not even an AA squad of 40 inclusion in his entire career.
Absolutely shouldn't be captain anymore but this isn't true, he's made the AA squad twice.

No need to rewrite history, he was a good player. But he isn't anymore.

Such a selfish individual.

If he had the best interests of the club at heart he would have stood down at the end of last season.

More interested in flogging off his wine label.
I wouldn't have been quite as brutal as your assessment but I definitely agree with the first two lines.

He can't take all the blame though, Ken should have made a call.

Not only should Jonas not be skipper next season I'd be surprised if he isn't any more than depth at the absolute most. His contract ends this season, watch them give him a 2-3 year deal.

Very hard to be a consistently good side with a captain who can’t perform to the necessary level every week, let alone every quarter of every match. His body language yesterday was not great even early.

It’s compounded by Wines also being poor. Worst game he’s played since the infamous crying on the bench performance which also came against Collingwood in the year they were co-captains.

Time for him to go - both as a captain and a player. I don't know who should be captain in his place, but anyone but him. Wines is not the answer either - no offence to him, but he's no leader.

The original All Australian teams were chosen at the end of a carnival which was usually held every 4 years between the major states, so a full back (eg the great John Abley who was All Australian full back 3x ) had to be judged the best player in that position for that carnival.

I have recollections of reading something quite a few years back that under the modern system the extended All Australian lists could contain names to fill a number quota for the various positions, there was also mention of state, or even club bias depending on who was on the selection panel.

I suspect Tom Jonas wouldn't have been the only player in any given year who had only a very slight chance of final selection, but to be brutally honest even at his best a stopper whose stock in trade was the up and under down the line to no one in particular didn't exactly scream All Aussie.

Regardless of any of the above though TJ is just another case of a player going well beyond his use by date, it should only be the elite who can choose their time to go, and the really ruthless clubs can even tap them on the shoulder to help things along regardless of any past glories, but we haven't been a ruthless club for a very long time and we will never be again under the kokmeister's regime.

Jonas isn’t selfish or a plant to take down the club.

He’s just not good enough to play in 2023. Not really his fault but the game seems to have passed him by and his strengths aren’t really supporting his weaknesses anymore.
Agreed. We might snag a good win here or there, but let’s face it, we are purely making up the numbers when we have sub standard players like Jonas & Lycett trying to hold down key positions every week.

If GWS, a franchise club with little history can make a bold statement by dropping their Captain, what does it say about us?

Agreed. We might snag a good win here or there, but let’s face it, we are purely making up the numbers when we have sub standard players like Jonas & Lycett trying to hold down key positions every week.

If GWS, a franchise club with little history can make a bold statement by dropping their Captain, what does it say about us?
It says we are far more interested in making these blokes comfortable (these blokes is the syndicate not the whole list see Sam Hayes) than winning anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Back