Opinion Tom Jonas will be a good captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Was out of form for a patch there - but over the past two or three weeks, has really started to find his touch.

A great leader on and off the pitch, he leads by example. His attack on the footy and player is elite.

Ollie's time will come, but for now, i'm all on board with Jonas the captain.

I saw comments from Sloane today about wanting to retain the captaincy.

It gor me wondering if we have heard any whispers from TJ or Port yet?
I would think it will be the same as last year except maybe Butters replaces Hartlett.
Could be Duursma but you would expect it to be someone in that age bracket.

I saw comments from Sloane today about wanting to retain the captaincy.

It got me wondering if we have heard any whispers from TJ or Port yet?

I'd like to see Jonas step down from the role of captain.
I think he has a maximum of 1-2 years of good football left in him and that's being optimistic.

Jonas was clearly down in 2021. He’s only going to be a year older and slower next year. With Clurey, McKenzie and Aliir all younger and taller, not to mention Skinner and Finlayson he shouldn’t get the Captains gold pass. Ideally he’d not even be in our round 1 team and our days of lamenting our undersized defence, led by our shortest ‘KPD’ would be over.

Jonas needs the 10% lift in form that captains get when they step down to maintain his locked position in the first 23

Ollie is ready

My picks: Ollie captain, Boak vice. No leadership group.

Thoughts on last years group:
Jonas should focus on keeping his spot.
Hartlett bad choice considering his body and the fact he wasn’t good enough to even be in the team anymore.
Byrne-Jones I don’t see leadership qualities in, looks like an honest soldier.

My picks: Ollie captain, Boak vice. No leadership group.

Thoughts on last years group:
Jonas should focus on keeping his spot.
Hartlett bad choice considering his body and the fact he wasn’t good enough to even be in the team anymore.
Byrne-Jones I don’t see leadership qualities in, looks like an honest soldier.

I'd like to see Butters be groomed as Ollie's eventual replacement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been hoping for a skilled player to emerge as a real leader that is capable of playing A grade football whilst leading.. Wines has finally played an A grade season and I would prefer he concentrates on backing it up rather than take the captain role. We still need a better player than Jonas as captain though. 9 years and we still are shallow for options.

Jonas has done a reasonable job as sole captain, but he has never been much more than a role player at AFL level, plus he has had some form slumps that could have put his position in the team in jeopardy if he wasn't the skipper.

I suspect he has a maximum of 2 more seasons at the top level anyway and could even battle to hold his spot in the team.
It's time for a more inspirational leader, maybe Ollie has matured enough for the role now with Butters being groomed for it sometime down the track.

What nonsense is this about Wines as captain.
Why would you want your best player to lose form taking on the responsibility, Ollie is also reserved type of guy who spends much of his game prep alone with headphones on.

Pick someone whose game will improve and will improve others instead.

Worst on ground today, when basically everyone was s**t. Offers no leadership, plus being a poor, undersized defender the wrong side of 30. There's no way he's best 22 anymore if he wasn't one of kerns buddies and captain.

The absolute state of leadership at this club with Koch, ken and Jonas steering the ship 🤮🤮🤮

I'm not one to pick on my club at every opportunity.

But I can never remember a Port Adelaide Captain, standing in the backline, not doing his own job properly, hands on hips with a look of I dont really care. Its not on. Do we ever change Captains when the season is underway? I can never remember.
Its time for Butters, Rozee, Duursma to really make a big step this year. Take it by the balls and want it for next season. It needs to happen. Step up boys. Become a man and leader in your workplace and passion.

If anyone says oh too young, well F Off then think of a better option. Trav is cooked. I'm sick of this team being vanilla onfield.

We need a youngster on field to pick this up and grab his opportunity by the scruff of the neck.

A good team leader on field might turn the tide on off field crap management.

Not even sure who we could give the captaincy to if we did take it off him. Probably should have been Wines coming off the Brownlow a few years ago, but the way he's dropped off he doesn't deserve the captaincy.

Too early for Rozee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back