Free Agency Tom Rockliff [signed with Port Adelaide]

Remove this Banner Ad

martin goes down and they have zero experienced ruckman. lobbe has shown he can lead the ruck in the big time

Disappointing but true. We've been chasing a backup ruck for literally three years now, after Leuenberger left. The problem is that no one wants to move interstate for a backup position and salary.

Definitely into the prospect of us taking Lobbe's big salary off their hands in exchange for them paying Rocky enough for band 1 compo.

Would be a massive win-win for both clubs you'd think.

If you can get that past Colin Wood then well done to Lions and Port.

Think Carlton, North, Freo, Pies and StKilda will be making pre-emptive calls to the AFL though. Will be interesting to see if AFL gives Band 2 for Rocky whether the Lobbe "interest" dries up lol

Thumbs up for the ingenuity if true and works out though.

If Cameron becomes available... quite possibly. If he doesn't the Lions can either make a decision to accept Pick 18/19 as compensation and let Rockliff go and take that pick to the draft. Pick 18 and part of 19 might need to be used for Ballenden. Or they can match...keep Rockliff and use Pick 18 and maybe part of a later pick for points to pick up Ballenden.

martin goes down and they have zero experienced ruckman. lobbe has shown he can lead the ruck in the big time
We're apparently chasing Hickey too who is a Queenslander I'd prefer him over Lobbe
If Cameron becomes available... quite possibly. If he doesn't the Lions can either make a decision to accept Pick 18/19 as compensation and let Rockliff go and take that pick to the draft. Pick 18 and part of 19 might need to be used for Ballenden. Or they can match...keep Rockliff and use Pick 18 and maybe part of a later pick for points to pick up Ballenden.
How high are you expecting Ballenden to be bid Both Twomey and Anderson have Ballenden rated at 20 or later

Definitely into the prospect of us taking Lobbe's big salary off their hands in exchange for them paying Rocky enough for band 1 compo.

And a massive win for Rocky. Maybe after a year we could pass Lobbe onto GWS after Mummy if off thier books. Or move Steph back to Vic this year. Lobbe did hit some good form in the second half of the year in the Sanfl. Was getting back to his pre-knee injury form.

I wouldn't be to upset if Port offered Rocky a pay day that got us band 1 (pick 2), we took Lobbe off thier hands along with possibly Ah Chee for say our pick 41, trade Steph to say a Bulldogs for thier second (26 this year or next years).

In effect that would leave us with pick 2 and 26 added as well as still having coverage in both the ruck and midfield. Obviously both Ah Chee and Lobbe aren't the current standard of players Steph and Rocky are.
Ah Chee would really help the age gap in that 22-25year, loves to through himself in and under to extract the pill, has some good pace and has an absolutely leathal handball in his tool set.
Lobbe has been a top front line ruck and has only fallen behind due the inclusion of Ryder and a serious knee injury. The knee injuries take some time to get back to top form from and with his second half of the season it looked like that was what happening.

26 could then potentially be used to bring in CC and maybe Close traded out for a pick that we use to match a Ballenden bid.

Nett of all this:
Out:
Rocky
Steph
Close
Pick 41

In:
Charlie
Lobbe
Ah Chee
Pick 2

Throw adding Hodge in and we don't look any younger heading into next season. With progression of the last few years players and picks 1,2,12 and 18 we could have a more competitive season even minus Rocky.

really good point, are you guys even interested in him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

really good point, are you guys even interested in him?

If he gets us pick 2 we are.

I doubt we would want him as anything more than insurance for an injury. We only have 3 full time rucks and if Stef goes down I don't think the other 2 could carry the load.

I'd suggest the fact he hasn't re-signed suggests he is leaning towards leaving.

You clearly believe the situation is still in a state of flux and that pieces will all fall into place between now and mid-October.

I tend to think those pieces are already more or less in place.
OMG, Rockliff is leaving Brisbane?

Roylion, who could have seen this coming?

I'm as shocked as you.

OMG, Rockliff is leaving Brisbane?

Roylion, who could have seen this coming?

I'm as shocked as you.

And where and when did I say Rockliff was definitely not going to leave Brisbane? I've made it pretty clear from the start that Rockliff was exploring the market...that at one stage staying at Brisbane was still an option (as confirmed by his manager at that time) and that Brisbane still has the option of matching a rival offer. Which is what Chris Fagan said this morning.

It's really come out of the blue, hasn't it?

So where did I say that Rockliff definitely wasnt leaving Brisbane?

IPresumably he had no idea what he'd be doing until the last few days.

Rockliff told Brisbane he was going to explore the market at his exit interview (confirmed by Chris Fagan this morning) He compared those offers with what Brisbane had offered (that's called 'exploring the market'). Rockliff toured both Port Adelaide and Carlton...who both made him an offer and has vert recently indicated that Port's offer is the most attractive. That seems to indicate that he hadn't made a decision until recently, as his manager said last week. And that's what I said as well.

Brisbane are now waiting to examine the offer when its is officially tabled (at the earliest this Friday) and will make a decision on how to react (as confirmed by Chris Fagan this morning).

"There’s still a bit to play out with that one. I mean the Free agency period opens on Friday. We don’t know what Port Adelaide’s offer is. We may choose to match that – we can as a restricted free agent. We can match that offer. We don’t know what it is. We were in the same position a few years ago at the Hawks with Bud. We were in the same position where we could match the offer and then the nine year multi million dollar deal came thorough and suddenly we weren’t in the position to match the offer. We don’t know that is at this point in time. We’ll just see and make a decision later in the week or early next week how that will roll."

None of that contradicts anything I've said previously.

Last edited:
None of that contradicts anything I've said previously.
When it was suggested Rockliff was poised to leave, due to him not having re-signed, you bent over backwards to insist it was still totally up in the air.

In reality, his exit was forseeable for all the reasons I explained to you. The writing was pretty clearly on the wall.

When anyone suggested Rockliff was poised to leave, due to him not having re-signed, you bent over backwards to insist it was still totally up in the air.

I see no reason to suggest that it wasn't. Chris Fagan was told at his exit interview that he was going to explore the market (as I said). His manager said just over a week and half ago that as far as he knew Rockliff hadn't made a decision. He did say Port Adelaide and Carlton were two clubs in the running for the former Brisbane skipper, who is out of contract.

"He became a father last week and then he had shoulder surgery this week so he hasn’t really had an opportunity to go and talk to the suitors as such.

“It’s not a fait accompli that he is going. I’ve been in constant dialogue with Dom Ambrogio, Brisbane’s list manager, and a little bit of talking to (Lions football manager) David Noble as well.

“We have almost got two weeks to work our way through it. I would think closer to that window opening, we would have a fair idea as to what he is going to do.”

Clearly in the meantime between Grand Final week to now Rockliff has 'explored the market' and made a decision that Port's offer is the most attractive out of the three he has been offered to date.

In reality, his exit was forseeable for all the reasons I explained to you. The writing was pretty clearly on the wall.

In your mind. Rockliff leaving was a possibility. I've never said it wasn't. If you're trying to imply that I said something differently then clearly that's not correct. I haven't seen any evidence that Rockliff had made a final decision as to what he was doing in 2018 at his exit interview about three weeks ago.

Last edited:
I see no reason to suggest that it wasn't. Chris Fagan was told at his exit interview that he was going to explore the market (as I said). His mamnger said last week that he had not made a decision. Clearly Rockliff has explored the market and made a decision that Port's offer is the most attractive out of the three he has been offered to date.
Yeah, I'm sure it all happened in the last week.

In your mind. Rockliff leaving was a possibility.
More than a possibility.

I've never said it wasn't. If you're trying to imply that I said something differently then clearly that's not correct. I haven't seen any evidence that Rockliff had made a final decision as to what he was doing in 2018 at his exit interview about three weeks ago.
You'd have been the last one to get to the lifeboats had you been on board the Titanic.

Yeah, I'm sure it all happened in the last week.

Feel free to present the evidence that a decision wasn't made in the past couple of weeks after exploring the market. I've quoted both his current coach and his manager. What have you got?

You'd have been the last one to get to the lifeboats had you been on board the Titanic.

So where did I say Rockliff definitely wasn't leaving Brisbane? Found it yet?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back