Free Agency Tom Rockliff [signed with Port Adelaide]

Remove this Banner Ad

Think we will be very close to band 1 if he leaves for the reported 720k a season. Has to be in the top 5% of earners and someone on the Lions board has got a table up of 2016 earners... top 5% is 700k a season minimum.
It would make sense for the AFL to give you band 1 under their 'secret' formula, would make up for not giving you a decent priority pick last year.

Am I the only one who doesn't see Rockliff filling an area of need at Port?

He'll be clear best 22 obviously but Wines, Boak, Ebert, Powell-Pepper plus Wingard/Gray who are part timers. Plenty of inside quality.
allows Gray/Wingard to play more forward minutes. Biggest worry for Port is that Rocky is slow on the defence running aspect. Don't expect him to play close attention when opposition have the ball.

Am I the only one who doesn't see Rockliff filling an area of need at Port?

He'll be clear best 22 obviously but Wines, Boak, Ebert, Powell-Pepper plus Wingard/Gray who are part timers. Plenty of inside quality.

Just watch the first quarter and a half of your mob tearing us to shreds on the inside in the elimination final to see why we want Rockliff. I was ambivalent on him too until that game.

You got 2 out of 3 correct

Kelly in 2 years time will likely go to a top club in melbourne - North will not be a top club by then

it was only North or GWS this time around and it will only be North in 2019 unless something drastically changes. Wouldn't surprise me if GWS are already aware of that too.

Goes beyond size of club and success with this one.

Would've liked Rockliff at the Blues especially if we were to part ways with Gibbs. Understand Port are in a better position to play finals and at his age I can't fault his decision. Does he start in the guts with Wines, Boak and Ryder?

Yep definately. Boak hasnt played midfield for 2 seasons been playing half forward, will rotate with Robbie Gray and Chad Wingard

Think we will be very close to band 1 if he leaves for the reported 720k a season. Has to be in the top 5% of earners and someone on the Lions board has got a table up of 2016 earners... top 5% is 700k a season minimum.
That table is for all players but the top 5% is worked out purely on players over 25. It makes it a touch more complicated because the bulk of the younger players fit into the 255 players earning under $200,000.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

allows Gray/Wingard to play more forward minutes. Biggest worry for Port is that Rocky is slow on the defence running aspect. Don't expect him to play close attention when opposition have the ball.

I can see that, but it reminds me a bit us with Jack Redden (lower profile). Redden has basically been a waste most of the last two years as we've had too many similar players competing for centre square minutes. Gray and Wingard going through the middle offer more skill and creativity than your average on baller, so they may end up a bit one dimensional if those guys play permanently forward (where they are excellent).

I hope for Port's sake it doesn't cost them Wines or SPP down the track.

it was only North or GWS this time around and it will only be North in 2019 unless something drastically changes. Wouldn't surprise me if GWS are already aware of that too.

Goes beyond size of club and success with this one.
Thats not whats been reported in the media, There was a lot of interest from Carlton and was mentioned that he would have ended up at the Blues - Dont think he will be at North

Thats not whats been reported in the media, There was a lot of interest from Carlton and was mentioned that he would have ended up at the Blues - Dont think he will be at North

Don't care where he goes but if he wins a flag with GWS it will be purely $$ that matter so if North make the best offer...

Real shame to see him go as he's been my favourite player for a fair while now.

700k probably won't get us a top pick which is an even bigger shame. Didn't think he would tbh but was always hoping. Interestingly the AFL site doesn't say for how many years it's worth.
4 years I believe. Compo pick will be 19, unless Gil's small heart grew three sizes today.

I know it's not what was reported in the media. I'm not posting to try and convince anyone, but unless something drastically changes he will be at North in 2019. Other Vic clubs aren't in the conversation.

I can see that, but it reminds me a bit us with Jack Redden (lower profile). Redden has basically been a waste most of the last two years as we've had too many similar players competing for centre square minutes. Gray and Wingard going through the middle offer more skill and creativity than your average on baller, so they may end up a bit one dimensional if those guys play permanently forward (where they are excellent).

I hope for Port's sake it doesn't cost them Wines or SPP down the track.
Skill and creativity isn't what hurt us, losing inside ball is what hurt us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back