top 10 players since 1990?

Remove this Banner Ad

It isn't clear, but I've gone with Top 10 greatest in each section. For me there is a difference between best and greatest. Greatest has a longevity component to it e.g. I believe that Chris Judd is the best ever Eagle as his talent / skill / ability / output are the best I have seen in an Eagles jumper, but he isn't their greatest player, because he didn't do it for long enough. Likewise I would say Brown is a better player than Tredrea because when Brown peaked he was better, but a strong argument can be made that Tredrea is greater because he did it for longer than Brown. Anyway for me:

Ruck (I only did 3 as 10 is way too many if there are only 10 mids)
Cox
Salmon
Daylight

Midfield
Judd
Williams
Ablett Jnr
Cousins
Matera
Black
Buckley
Koutoufides
Voss
Harvey

Forwards
Dunstall
Lockett
Ablett
Carey
Milne (unfortunately!)
Tredrea
Goodes (or midfield)
Pavlich
Hird
Daicos

Backs
Silvani
Glass
McKenna
McLeod
Jackovich
Scarlett
Enright
Johnson
Wanganeen
Johnson

There is zero chance Tredrea would get in the best forward line since 1990. Zero. Might get in the top 10.

Ablett Snr - Carey - Hird
Dunstall - Lockett - Milne
I'm sorry but Milne is seriously out of place. Johnson or Chapman would easily be ahead of him and there are probably plenty of others as well. Jeff Farmer was a far better player then Milne if you want a pure small forward. Darren Jarman is another I would have ahead of him.

It isn't clear, but I've gone with Top 10 greatest in each section. For me there is a difference between best and greatest. Greatest has a longevity component to it e.g. I believe that Chris Judd is the best ever Eagle as his talent / skill / ability / output are the best I have seen in an Eagles jumper, but he isn't their greatest player, because he didn't do it for long enough. Likewise I would say Brown is a better player than Tredrea because when Brown peaked he was better, but a strong argument can be made that Tredrea is greater because he did it for longer than Brown. Anyway for me:

Cox
Salmon
Daylight

Midfield
Judd
Williams
Ablett Jnr
Cousins
Matera
Black
Buckley
Koutoufides
Voss
Harvey

Forwards
Dunstall
Lockett
Ablett
Carey
Milne (unfortunately!)
Tredrea
Goodes (or midfield)
Pavlich
Hird
Daicos

Backs
Silvani
Glass
McKenna
McLeod
Jackovich
Scarlett
Enright
Johnson
Wanganeen
Johnson
You are seriously overranking Salmons rucking abilities. He was a better forward then ruckman. Only a stock standard ruckman. Wouldn't be in the top 20 ruckman.

How the hell is Milne getting in the fowards while the likes of Jarman, Chapman, S.Johnson, B.Johnson, Farmer aren't. All far superior players to Milne.

If he was gonna take one of those spots it'd be Hirds.

Anyway I was responding to the fact this guy listed guys like Lloyd, Lynch!, Milne!! Riewoldt, Richardson , but not Tredea. Which is ridiculous.

Actually, it's not ridiculous at all. I agree with the OP that Treadrea is close to top 10, but personal preference can certainly see him left out.

He is not 'clearly' better than all those listed.

You are seriously overranking Salmons rucking abilities. He was a better forward then ruckman. Only a stock standard ruckman. Wouldn't be in the top 20 ruckman.

How the hell is Milne getting in the fowards while the likes of Jarman, Chapman, S.Johnson, B.Johnson, Farmer aren't. All far superior players to Milne.

Yeah I can understand about Salmons. After Cox I think there is a gap to whoever is next.

I stand by Milne. I wanted a pure forward pocket in there. The two on your list that were the most pure forward pockets were Farmer and S.Johnson. Farmer should have been in there as he is the most talented of the bunch, just never worked hard enough. S.Johnson is a great player, but lucky to be on a team where the ball is always in their forward line and he gets a lot of opportunity to kick goals. I don't think he dominates on other teams.

The other guys you mention spend a lot of time in the midfield. I've got Goodes as the guy who plays forward and mid. He is better than those guys.

Just to note Jarman was the last guy I cut from my forward list. Very close.

It's a tough gig trying to nail down a final 10, but it's hard to argue with the way you've gone about it; so I'm gonna go bang along with you for my top 10. The only change I might make would be removing Hird as a midfielder and replacing him with Buckley perhaps, while moving Hird to just outside the forward cap.

If we're capping positions, I can see why you might do that. I'd probably go Voss next in line for mids but that's just my opinion.

Cox
Salmon
Daylight

Dunno about that.

Both McKernan and Darcy won Leigh Matthew's Trophy's. Jim Stynes did the double with the MVP and Brownlow in 1991. McKernan's 1996 is probably the most dominant year from a ruckman in the AFL era imo.

Goodes was the AA ruckman in the year he won his first brownlow, people forget.

Aaron Sandilands is one of the most dominant ruckmen I've ever seen on his day, definately worthy.

Cox
Sandilands
Stynes
Goodes
Salmon
McKernan
Rehn
Darcy

For mine.

In no particular order.

Backs
Fletcher
Scarlett
Enright
Mckenna
McLeod
Silgvani
Jakovic
Wanganeen
C.Grant
C.Johnson

Mids
Voss
Buckley
Goodes
Harvey
Judd
Kemp
Kouta
Gablett
Cousins
Williams

Forwards
Hird
Lloyd
Dunstall
Lockett
Gablett senior
Lynch
Milne
N.Riewoldt
Carey
Richardson

Rucks
Cox
Lowe
Darcy
Salmon
McKernan
Stynes
Rehn
Spider Everitt
Sandilands
Ottens

might do an overall top 10 later.
pretty sure i've missed a couple
Would throw Riciutto, Crawford, Kouta and Peter Matera in mid and add Phil Matera in fwd line. Not sure about Milne and Riewoldt. Great list though. How do you pick 10? Easier to pick a full team.

Would throw Riciutto, Crawford, Kouta and Peter Matera in mid and add Phil Matera in fwd line. Not sure about Milne and Riewoldt. Great list though. How do you pick 10? Easier to pick a full team.

Far out, Richiutto is an oversight. Kouta is in there.

Cox
Salmon
Daylight

Midfield
Judd
Williams
Ablett Jnr
Cousins
Matera
Black
Buckley
Koutoufides
Voss
Harvey

Forwards
Dunstall
Lockett
Ablett
Carey
Milne (unfortunately!)
Tredrea
Goodes (or midfield)
Pavlich
Hird
Daicos

Backs
Silvani
Glass
McKenna
McLeod
Jackovich
Scarlett
Enright
Johnson
Wanganeen
Johnson

Thought you would take Phil Matera over Milne any day. I know I would by a mile. No love for Crawford?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stats don't really take into account the fact that Tredrea was ruined by injury but played on regardless for a good number of years. Prior to doing his knee, he was consistently dominant for 5 straight years, winning the AA CHF possie in four of them.
If we can discount injury then Kouta was the best player to ever play the Game ....silly premise

hard to argue with that list. Well done. :thumbsu:

My Top 10:

1. W. Carey - He surpassed Royce Hart as the greatest CHF to ever play.
2. G. Ablett Snr.- beats Lockett because he was more versatile as a player.
3. T. Lockett - Greatest FF to ever play.
4. C. Judd - arguably the best midfielder of the era.
5. G Ablett Jnr. - sublime skills as good as Judd.
6. M. Scarlett. - Best KPD I have ever seen play and I seen SOS play.
7. D. Cox - best Ruckman since Polly Farmer IMHO.
8. J Hird. - Champion player no doubt.
9. A Goodes. - The greatest indigenous player to play in this period.
10. R Harvey. - Was a gun and sad he never tasted GF success.

with apologies to a bunch of others who were fantastic players too.
Not a bad effort ...but i think you will find most would have Williams in front of Harvey

I'd have Carey, Dunstall, Hird, Abblett Sr, Lockett (Fowards)
I'd have Scarlett, Archer, Fletcher, Silvagni, Enright (Backs)
I'd have Voss, Cousins, Brent Harvey(NM), Ablett(Jr), Goodes (Mids)
I'd have Stynes, Mckernan, Ottens, White, Cox (Ruck)
And then I'd chuck in some emergency players like:
Judd, Kerr, Akermanis, Caracella, Selwood

Only 5 each for me.
I have left so many players out.
Huge fail in the middle

Cox
Salmon
Daylight

Midfield
Judd
Williams
Ablett Jnr
Cousins
Matera
Black
Buckley
Koutoufides
Voss
Harvey

Forwards
Dunstall
Lockett
Ablett
Carey
Milne (unfortunately!)
Tredrea
Goodes (or midfield)
Pavlich
Hird
Daicos

Backs
Silvani
Glass
McKenna
McLeod
Jackovich
Scarlett
Enright
Johnson
Wanganeen
Johnson
Nice work ..can't fault that :thumbsu:

If we can discount injury then Kouta was the best player to ever play the Game ....silly premise

No, I simply said Tredrea's career stats are misleading, when compared to those of another player whose output didn't drop off a cliff after a serious injury. I also said that Tredrea played 5 consecutive years at an elite level, meaning his sample of best football is a legitimate one.

Carton fans love that one about Kouta. Like no other player ever had a better single year than his 2000, or whatever it was.

No, I simply said Tredrea's career stats are misleading, when compared to those of another player whose output didn't drop off a cliff after a serious injury. I also said that Tredrea played 5 consecutive years at an elite level, meaning his sample of best football is a legitimate one.

Carton fans love that one about Kouta. Like no other player ever had a better single year than his 2000, or whatever it was.
regardless i would still take Richo over Tredrea

Warren G. Tredrea
  • 255 games, 549 goals
  • Premiership captain 2004
  • All-Australian: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 (vice-captain)
  • AFL Coaches Association 'Champion Player of the Year' Award: 2004
  • AFL Players Association 'Champion Player of the Year' Award: 2003 (3rd place), 2004 (3rd place)
  • John Cahill Medal: 2001, 2004, 2005, 2009
  • John Cahill Medal 'Runner-Up': 1999, 2002, 2003
  • Port Adelaide F.C. Captain: 2004, 2006–2008
  • Port Adelaide F.C. Leading Club Goalkicker award: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009[39]
  • Port Adelaide F.C. Most goals in an AFL game: 8 (Round 7, 1998)[39]
  • Port Adelaide F.C. Most Improved Player award: 1998, 1999
  • Herald Sun Player of the Year Award: 2004
  • 3AW Player of the Year Award: 2004
  • The Advertiser Player of the Year: Award 2004
  • Triple M Player of the Year Award: 2004
  • The Age Player of the Year Award: 2004
  • West End Showdown Medal XVI: 2004
Good luck with that,.

Editied for Relevant Stats Vs Other Forwards.

Basically, 1 good year (2004).

Sorry, but no way he gets a spot in the Forward Line compared to others.

Would take Itchy (Milne) any day of the week.

who do you suggest I take out? And it can't be milne, he's in there for diversity.

Lloydy and Richo have 300 and 400 more goals than him in a similar time frame, Lynch has a similar if not better record and 2 more flags. And roo I included because frankly, he's a freak and has an almost identical record to tredders.

I stand by my list, if it was a top 15 he'd probably get in

Very good post.

Interesting Thought...top 15. Basically from this list.

No Order....Taken from Wekipedia - List of Australian Football League all-time leading goalkickers. Only from the top 53 of the list

Ablett Snr
Lockett
Carey
Dunstall
Franklin
Sumich
Riewoldt
Hall
Milne
Richo
Sav
Lloyd
Lynch
Neitz
Fev
Modra
Pav
Brown
Treadrea - (39 On this List)
B. Johnson
Bradshaw
O'Laughlin
Longmire
Gehrig
Lowe
Chris Grant
Kernaham
Richard Osbourne
Paul Salmon

Choosing a Top 20 even from that list is hard to get Tredrea in.

Not to mention players not in the top 53 of goal kickers but are great players elsewhere - Pockets, Flanks etc etc.

Editied for Relevant Stats Vs Other Forwards.

Basically, 1 good year (2004).

Sorry, but no way he gets a spot in the Forward Line compared to others.

Would take Itchy (Milne) any day of the week.

Odd way of looking at things.

Nick Riewoldt - 1 good year

Jonathan Brown - 1 good year

Matthew Richardson - 1 good year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back