List Mgmt. Trade and F/A 2020 Cont’d

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phillips is frustrating and happy to move him on for a pick and cap relief, but he has some strengths.

His running ability has him push deep into def 50 to help out or be a relieving option out of deference, he can push hard for an option into space, or push hard into forward 50 to be on the end of a goal.

If he was on much less than reported you’d hold onto him

Rantall has the same running ability....

But we don't know if WE could have gotten Treloar cheaper, regardless of brotherly rates that may have been negotiated.

I don't really see a difference between using the value of a draft pick in the draft rather than using its value in a trade. At the time, it may have been felt that we paid too much for Treloar, just like it was felt we paid too much for Pendles, but only in retrospect can you tell if the draft pick investment has reaped good value and to me Treloar wasn't an example of us losing on the investment, unless we really fu** it up from here. (which is looking probable)

We lost on Beams and Murray, although if it wasn't for the drugs ban, Murray might have ended up OK.

Mate even if Murray stayed and turned the corner career wise we still over paid in that trade.

Kicked 52 Goals 2 Years and Let Moore Go Forward.

He won't be a List Clogger and Phillips is Overrated

McDonald is apparently due $1.4m over the next two years and he simply isn't worth that much cap spend Dave.

Shifting Moore forward after he has settled in defence and is now an AA would also amount to us essentially robbing Peter to maybe pay Paul (if we're lucky).

Last edited:
Because it would’ve made so much sense for the GWS CEO to force Treloar to the club with the inferior draft hand. Nice spin though.

Anyway, I’m not sure why you guys are so defensive about it. Eddie came up with the goods and the rest is history. Now he just needs to figure out how to get Treloar out of the club.
Piss off clown

Because it would’ve made so much sense for the GWS CEO to force Treloar to the club with the inferior draft hand. Nice spin though.

Anyway, I’m not sure why you guys are so defensive about it. Eddie came up with the goods and the rest is history. Now he just needs to figure out how to get Treloar out of the club.
We’re defensive because we know that it’s made up bullshit that Dave Matthews created to save face.

McDonald is apparently due $1.4m over the next two years and he simply isn't worth the much cap spend Dave.

Shifting Moore forward after he has settled in defence and is now an AA would also amount to us essentially robbing Peter to maybe pay Paul (if we're lucky).
Peter is obese, Paul has malnutrition. That’s the rationale anyway, I’d say it’s worth a try.

Last edited:
Mate even if Murray stayed and turned the corner career wise we still over paid in that trade.
I think we just view it differently. I don't see a fixed value at time of draft or trade. God knows how low Sydney would have gone for this kid we rated. If Murray and pick 50 ended up better than what you'd get on average for pick 30 or whatever it was, which seemed likely before the coke, it would have been a good investment. But yep, we lost out in the end.

Comprehension has abandoned you hasn't it.

If I was a Tiger's fan I'd be enjoying my success instead of childish trolling.

Very sad that your club has done so well yet it still isn't enough to make you feel good about yourself.

McDonald is apparently due $1.4m over the next two years and he simply isn't worth that much cap spend Dave.

Melbourne might pay for some of His Salary

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing about that logic (which is perfectly fine in itself... drooling over the next batch)......is that a few years ago we might have said "what if trading player x for pick 7 nets us Jordan Stephenson"......

And everbody would have agreed....Yeah hes the kind of player we need".
Vicious cycle then you realise you haven't won a flag for 20 years +.

Who is playing wing next year? Daicos and Sidebottom would be first choice, so having Mayne and Phillips would be unnecessary with Rantall also coming through. Phillips gets a lot of stick on here and I’m a fan of him but I don’t see his use on the list when we could get something for him and dump his salary he will have a better use at other clubs. It should be a pretty easy decision to let him go.

Do not cave and give Mihocek 4 years.
And especially do not cave on money.

This is the perfect test —-repeat the failings of the past, or learn and take it in a new direction.

No way he should be getting 4 years.
In theory a club should never cave for any player, sets a precedent... hawks and Geelong built their dynasties on sticking to their guns...lost some good players in the process!

Can’t see why you wouldn’t give Mihocek 4 years ? He’s durable and doesn’t rely on his athleticism to impact games. He plays the game as it should be played, a 22 player at any club.

Who is playing wing next year? Daicos and Sidebottom would be first choice, so having Mayne and Phillips would be unnecessary with Rantall also coming through. Phillips gets a lot of stick on here and I’m a fan of him but I don’t see his use on the list when we could get something for him and dump his salary he will have a better use at other clubs. It should be a pretty easy decision to let him go.
Rantall is an inside mid, not a wingman. People need to get rid of the idea that he can play an outside role just because he has good endurance.

If we’re looking at potential wingmen, there’s Murphy, Quaynor, Noble and Crisp who can play the role immediately. I’d be looking to put IQ on the opposite wing to Daicos personally, and look to Murphy or Bianco to fill that defensive role. I’d also play Sidebottom on-ball and forward like we did in 2018 when he was AA.

To me it’s all about maximising trade value for what we paid.

We got Phillips for pick 58; been a solid citizen but looks fringe/depth moving forward. If we can get a 2nd round pick or a best 22 player in a positional need that’s a win. Not to mention salary off the books.

Cox is another one. Rookie pick, who on his day can be a match winner but is too inconsistent and we are paying him too much on his overall output. His WC final is fresh in the mind of other clubs so If we can trade him for a 2nd rounder or best 22 player I’d also consider that a win. Must hold Checkers then.

Not sure we get value for a Stepho for what we paid in draft 3 years ago so he’s a hold on potential unless we get an offer to good to refuse.

Treloar’s circumstances & salary might dictate we have no choice but to move him but once again I’d prefer to hold him as we won’t get good enough value to make it worthwhile.

Same with WHE not enough value in trading him. JT/ Wills etc I’d be happy with late junk picks.

So if we can get Cox and Phillips and some dead wood off the books, add a couple of draft picks (maybe futures for Daicos) and maybe look to some pick swaps to get higher up the draft this year I’ll be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You would think Melbourne would have to pay at least $400-$500k of that over the two years.

Rantall is an inside mid, not a wingman. People need to get rid of the idea that he can play an outside role just because he has good endurance.

If we’re looking at potential wingmen, there’s Murphy, Quaynor, Noble and Crisp who can play the role immediately. I’d be looking to put IQ on the opposite wing to Daicos personally, and look to Murphy or Bianco to fill that defensive role. I’d also play Sidebottom on-ball and forward like we did in 2018 when he was AA.
There are plenty of options. Keeping Phillips would just be unnecessary unless he played a different role as a half forward but even then we could get an actual half forward.

If Malthouse was coaching stephenson he would be a regular all Australian. Same as Hinkley, he lets the talented youngsters have a bit of flair rather than turning him into a robot
Yeah right, kick down the line percentage football...
To me it’s all about maximising trade value for what we paid.

We got Phillips for pick 58; been a solid citizen but looks fringe/depth moving forward. If we can get a 2nd round pick or a best 22 player in a positional need that’s a win. Not to mention salary off the books.

Cox is another one. Rookie pick, who on his day can be a match winner but is too inconsistent and we are paying him too much on his overall output. His WC final is fresh in the mind of other clubs so If we can trade him for a 2nd rounder or best 22 player I’d also consider that a win. Must hold Checkers then.

Not sure we get value for a Stepho for what we paid in draft 3 years ago so he’s a hold on potential unless we get an offer to good to refuse.

Treloar’s circumstances & salary might dictate we have no choice but to move him but once again I’d prefer to hold him as we won’t get good enough value to make it worthwhile.

Same with WHE not enough value in trading him. JT/ Wills etc I’d be happy with late junk picks.

So if we can get Cox and Phillips and some dead wood off the books, add a couple of draft picks (maybe futures for Daicos) and maybe look to some pick swaps to get higher up the draft this year I’ll be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think a bit harsh on Cox, was tough going for all forwards in our team this year with the way we moved the ball. He improved his game when he fixed his sight issues. Given the alternate tall forward options being thrown about (McDonald) I’d be inclined to keep him.

I don't think any of us can confidently say what Rantall is yet, but I'm hoping he can kick on and give us a high half forward running machine who hits ground balls effectively.

Could be the next Franklin and Hodge.

Or Jarryd Roughead and Pendles.

Or Reid and Sidebottom.

Or Moore and Degoey.

Or Selwood and Hawkins.

N.Riewoldt and Ball.

Or etc etc.
Every club that ignores early picks in the the draft for several years and chooses to trade in players instead, is eventually found out.
There was a good article in the West Australian today about this.
Nothing is guaranteed when a young player is drafted. And there’s been plenty of busts. All you can go on is if they are a highly rated draftee with a load of potential.
Almost all the stars of the comp today were once highly rated draftees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back