List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it came down to Daicos and Gary Ablett Snr?
If it came down to Daicos and Lance Franklin?
If it came down to Daicos and Daicos snr?
If it came down to Daicos and God? (Trick question, Daicos is god)

See.. I can do it too. It's pointless when it's not going to happen.
Seriously? Are they in this year's draft too?

Indicative draft picks: 36, 41, 43, 48

Delisted: Nil
Retired: Levi Greenwood, Chris Mayne, Anton Tohill
Unsigned free agents: Scott Pendlebury, Josh Thomas

Whispers: The Pies' trade period will be one of intrigue with the need to regenerate all while stockpiling enough draft points for father-son prodigy Nick Daicos. They currently have less than 1700 draft points after some of their picks were pushed back following free agency compensation. They'll need 2400 points if a bid comes at No.1 for Daicos (factoring in the 20 per cent discount for father-sons). They'll need to get creative or bring picks forward from 2022. The Pies are trying to get a deal done to acquire Western Bulldogs midfielder/wingman Patrick Lipinski after he nominated them as his club of choice, while Geelong swingman Nathan Kreuger is keen to move across. One could arrive via the Pre-Season Draft to save picks. Scott Pendlebury is on the verge of a new deal, but Josh Thomas, Brayden Sier, Mason Cox and Jay Rantall are awaiting word on their futures. – Mitch Cleary

It's about not overrating your players way out of proportion, idc who the player is.

I would love to trade the #1 small forward in the comp with multiple AA seasons under his belt for 2x top 5 picks, let alone an unproven 19 year old (stephenson at the time) who thrived with elite delivery in a season where we were 1 goal off a premiership.

If anything Cody Weightman has easily replicated Stephenson's 2018 season in a very similar situation - great delivery, runner-up team. They are strong seasons, but not 2x top 5 pick worthy.

Don't get me wrong, I am a massive fan of Henry, he is close to our best young player and I wouldn't trade him cheaply either.

But to say you wouldn't trade Henry for pick 1 in the draft is just plain delusion and ignorance.
It's not ignorance. Since you love the hindsight boasting, your trading Henry for Tom Scully, or Tom Boyd, or Jon Patton, or Paddy Mcartin, or Jack Watts or Cam Rayner? Draft number means s**t after a few years, and Henry showed more than half the top 10 from last year.

Can anyone recall if a player has nominated a club he wants to go to, entered the PSD and been picked up by a club that said player has not nominated?
Jade Rawlings was selected by Bulldogs but preferred Roos, finally ended up with the Roos years later after getting the flick by Bulldogs

I am curious about why everyone believes this hurts us so much. I don’t know the figures but say he is on $1M and ideally we would be preferring to pay him $800k it’s only going to be in the realm of $200k difference.

Surely no one believes he should have a really large reduction. Say it’s $200k, in itself that can’t cause us too much issue
$925,000 which he utterly deserves. Sick of the "tall poppy Pie fans" who begrudge him. He has been an outstanding player since coming and somebody has to be a clubs marquee paid player. Yes his last 18 months have dipped but when you break the stats down, it's marginal at best.

It's not ignorance. Since you love the hindsight boasting, your trading Henry for Tom Scully, or Tom Boyd, or Jon Patton, or Paddy Mcartin, or Jack Watts or Cam Rayner? Draft number means sh*t after a few years, and Henry showed more than half the top 10 from last year.
Or it could be Sam Walsh, Ugle-Hagan, Matt Rowell, Cam Raynar... Not sure what point you're trying to prove here.

Ultimately especially for players of your own club, you need to set realistic expectations. There are very few players worthy of pick 1 in AFL, and Henry at least at this stage is nowhere near it.

And it's exactly your type of delusion and bias that led to us overrating Stephenson, and eventually giving him up for virtually nothing.

Or it could be Sam Walsh, Ugle-Hagan, Matt Rowell, Cam Raynar... Not sure what point you're trying to prove here.

Ultimately especially for players of your own club, you need to set realistic expectations. There are very few players worthy of pick 1 in AFL, and Henry at least at this stage is nowhere near it.

And it's exactly your type of delusion and bias that led to us overrating Stephenson, and eventually giving him up for virtually nothing.
Stephenson left for nothing due to salary cap issues. That's pretty obvious. Have you watched Cam Rayner play? He's average even before his ACL. I guess you have an obsession over numbers. I'm happy to wait 3 years and see Henry become a much better player than than many a top 5 pick.

Why is a choice between Henry & Daicos + Kreuger even a hypothetical situation? Its not even realistic. It Will literally never come to that, so whats the point of even discussing.

Kreuger will cost hardly anything. People do realise we will just go into deficit for next year if it comes down to it? It will not come down to Ollie Henry. Ridiculous to suggest otherwise

Stephenson left for nothing due to salary cap issues. That's pretty obvious. Have you watched Cam Rayner play? He's average even before his ACL. I guess you have an obsession over numbers. I'm happy to wait 3 years and see Henry become a much better player than than many a top 5 pick.
Hahaahha this is pointless, let's just say I'm glad you're not anywhere near our list management team, when you are this adamant that you wouldn't trade Henry for pick 1 in the draft.

Why is a choice between Henry & Daicos + Kreuger even a hypothetical situation? Its not even realistic. It Will literally never come to that, so whats the point of even discussing.

Kreuger will cost hardly anything. People do realise we will just go into deficit for next year if it comes down to it? It will not come down to Ollie Henry. Ridiculous to suggest otherwise
I agree, but going into deficit is not helping with our first pick next year, it pushes it down the order

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It disturbs me that there is an assumption that McCrae is going to coach better than Buckley did. There is no evidence for this. He has yet to lift a glove in the job. I look forward with trepidation to the abuse that will flow his way when he does not deliver a flag in 2022.
So much expectation is being expended on two possible trades of marginal players. Again, it is all hope without evidence.
And poor Nick Daicos. The weight of the club is on his shoulders.
Like last year, we will start with a wafer thin crust of good players and will crumble when a couple of them are injured. It will not be the coaches fault, but like Buckley, McCrae can look forward to being devoured by Collingwood when the inevitable happens. The fallout from the Beams disaster will continue for a while yet.
No one one here has said we're going to win the flag next year... theres actually quite a lot on the same page in terms of expectations of next year..
I apologise to Gabbo64, you no longer have the worst post of the day.

And the true worth of a future pick does not actually exist at the time it is traded. At that time the pick is valued on the rough consensus as to expected ladder position. To use a gameshow analogy, when we took the cash rather than the pick of the board, the pick we thought was the Selangor pewter or the luggage set, turned out to be the car!

Might as well criticise all the other clubs who did not buy our pick off us cheaply, but I guess they thought we were closer to 6th than 17th, so they made the same "mistake" of not being psychic.
Tosca says hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back