List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we get Lippa & Freddy over the line in the first few days, I expect another earthquake to come.

There were two positives about last year's trade and draft period.
1. It looks like we drafted very well.
2. It was bloody entertaining.
In terms of point 2, I wouldn't mind seeing a big manoeuvre. I can't see it happening though.

Could be... but the Trade Radio crap have a big say when deals get done so they can broadcast them.

So trades could be done Early but Trade Radio won't let them Happen until end of the Period?

If we can get them done during trade week off of cheapy future picks I wonder who we would target in the PSD?
Assuming Stengle would be an option as we interviewed him during the mid season draft.
I’m on the Dunstan train if he is keen on coming to us.

Was just thinking I’d be happy to look at Stengle.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What Hawthorn did was very different. They basically cut two champions at the end of their careers - in order to create space for blokes who were at peak career age. They didn't trade out blokes at peak career age like you're suggesting with Grundy and Maynard they traded them in. Plus what Hawthorn did didn't work at all, so not a relevant example to follow anyway.
So your saying mate what Hawthorn did it didnt work?
I think its fair to say Hawthorn is in a better position then us at the moment.
If what Hawthorn did didnt work? What we did last year with Phillips Stevo and Treloar, trading our first round pick was a complete disaster and a joke personally i dont want to see a repeat of this.

Pendles latest contract would be much less than when he was at his peak.
So not sure he and Sidey would account for $1.5 mill.
I am hearing mate Pendels is on about $750k you would hope if he stays which is most likely he plays for significant less coin $400k he has made his money

His season was really disappointing after a very promising start. Just seems to lack the aggression you want/need in a tall. Might be a good move by them, a bit risky though as he's got a lot of talent. might depend on the time lines they envisage for JUH and Darcy and whether they can attract a ruckman they have confidence in.

I don’t think they’ll get much of a say in it because from what I can gather if he’s available it’ll be because he’s requesting a trade to Perth with his partner signing with the Fever*.

Not sure about his quality myself. I suspect the concussion knocked him around, but I’m not convinced he isn’t one of those in between types that isn’t mobile enough to be a KPF and isn’t physical enough to be a ruckman. I personally wouldn’t want him if he was on the table.

*Don’t lock that in though because she was with the Firebirds previously.

So your saying mate what Hawthorn did it didnt work?
I think its fair to say Hawthorn is in a better position then us at the moment.
If what Hawthorn did didnt work? What we did last year with Phillips Stevo and Treloar, trading our first round pick was a complete disaster and a joke personally i dont want to see a repeat of this.
Yes, I'm saying what Hawthorn did didn't work - bringing in a brace of ready to go mid career blokes to re-build with has resulted in them falling down the ladder and that a sustained period towards the bottom is very likely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So who would you put in the frame as possible "big name" trades?
I am not sure which players will be involved? i know we will trade 1 or 2 players that will suprise everyone.
Its a matter of opinion what can i say? since were starting from scratch lets call it a rebuild.
i would trade pendels and Sidebottom, harsh but there would probably be close to 1.5 m of salary relief there for 2nd or 3rd round picks not much value but extra points for Daicos jnr.
Grundy and Degoey are interesting if we can get maybe a total of at least 3 first rounders for both? i would consider this.

I really don’t think we’re getting two firsts for Grundy, especially if we’re initiating the discussion.

The only way you get anywhere near that is if a club tries to get him out. Unlikely given the length of his contract.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah, agreed, but you may get a first and early second. Just an interesting concept. I doubt very much it would even get to the discussion table at this stage.

I need to stop you there. JUH is the only bloke I have ever seen who doesn't need a run up. He can can jump on your head from a standing start. Regardless of what some idiots on here might tell you, I actually do have a couple of contacts in the U18's recriuiting and development departments and from what they have told me, he is something else. Brace yourself because this kid is the real thing

My nephew, who is a very handy footballer, has played with him for a few years at school & Chargers > says he is an 'utter freak'

My source i will not say its in the club,, players nor sure which ones will be traded.
Wright said as much about 3 months that we still have salary cap problems in a press confrence.
its no secret mate

GW specifically downplayed trading stars - I doubt he will now do an about face. He would have made no comment if that was a likelihood.

I’m pretty sure Graham Wright said there was a salary cap hangover(obviously from the Beams situation) but he also said he didn’t expect that any more big name players would be traded.I think we’ve already cut the list to the bone,so there’s no need to trade away what little talent we have left.The only player I would trade is Sidebottom,but after his last two dismal seasons,I doubt if he would have any trade currency at all.As for Maynard.forrget it,You don’t trade away quality players like that who are coming into their prime,just for a speculative pick in the draft.

I am not sure which players will be involved? i know we will trade 1 or 2 players that will suprise everyone.
Its a matter of opinion what can i say? since were starting from scratch lets call it a rebuild.
i would trade pendels and Sidebottom, harsh but there would probably be close to 1.5 m of salary relief there for 2nd or 3rd round picks not much value but extra points for Daicos jnr.
Grundy and Degoey are interesting if we can get maybe a total of at least 3 first rounders for both? i would consider this.

I'd love to know how you've calculated that figure of $1.5 million. Pendles is out of contract, so we don't have to pay him any more than we are willing to, and all you can save from Sidebottom, regardless of his contract size, is the maximum that another club would be willing to pay him, less the salary of a replacement player. And if you're looking to get the full whack in trade value of a second rounder for Sidey, that maximum payment is not going to be high, leaving us paying a good chunk of his salary. In terms of trade value for Pendles - there's none - not even someone as ruthless as Clarko dared to haggle over the trade price of a champion he was pushing out the door - in fact he went out of his way to sell it as a good will trade done totally in Mitchell's future interests.

Last edited:
My source i will not say its in the club,, players nor sure which ones will be traded.
Wright said as much about 3 months that we still have salary cap problems in a press confrence.
its no secret mate
No, Wright specifically went out of his way to say we wouldn’t need to trade any big names again. Calling shenanigans on this.

With the players out so far this year (Greenwood and Mayne) and you’d think 2-3 of Sier, Thomas, Cox, Lynch are possible to go...

combine that with the likelihood that lipinski and Kreuger are on moderate salaries and plus Daicos and Dib will be on low salaries

All this would have to create some further room in the cap.

Of course, there’s other factors to consider like back ended player deals - that effectively back end the club 😮

But I think it’s unlikely a big name will be forcibly/encouraged to move on from both a salary cap and locker room cultural perspective.

What’s more I think Fly has made it clear that he thinks the squad needs to retain reasonable levels of experience in order to facilitate the rebuild and new coaching

Outside of Lipinski and Kreuger I can see us maybe picking up a further DFA (probably someone that the new coaching staff or GW have already worked with and rated) ... otherwise my guess is it will just be overall a fairly predictable draft period

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back