List Mgmt. Trade and Free Agency Discussion 2018 - Edition V - TRADE SUMMARY IN OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wouldnt say it was disastrous... 5 years in the system, for us to get a return on at the end of it... is a win in my eyes. Average length of a players career is less than 4 years.
I think that the 2013 draft was definitely a disaster for us, mainly because of two reasons:

1. No player has integrated into our best 22 from the 6 players we drafted. Even Shaun Hampson, who we traded for pick 32 at the time, was not an AFL mainstay.
2. This was considered the 'super draft'. Nathan Freeman, Billy Hartung and our pick in Ben Lennon are the only players to have been moved on from the top 30. Yes, you quoted the average but from the top 50 of that draft, 40 of them are still on an AFL list. 10 are gone and 2 of them are the players selected by us. It was just a pretty bad draft to bomb out on. If this was a weak draft, then it would be a little more understandable.

Anyway, the aim of each draft is to get a player or two that is able to make an impact on a lengthy basis. Both the players that have left this year were already gone as AFL regulars by the time the 2017 came, only making impact during the 2014-2016 AFL seasons. They could go ahead and become AFL regulars for their chosen clubs, but not for us.

I am so glad that we have changed since then. The only reason why many of us are not melting at the fact that we have not brought in more players through a trade is because we are confident that we can bring in solid youngsters that could have impact as early as next year. Like, we already have Premiership players from the 2014-2016 drafts.

Agree with most of this.

Not sure about Baker though. Reminds me of Jake King. Lots of go, that's his main thing.

I miss King, had a couple of very good seasons too, playing a similar role to our small forwards now

You have family members who are Geelong supporters? Man my sympathies go out to you.
Yep. My bro, and my dad was a cats man too.
Ill ask before i do.... cant stand sooks and people who expect things to be handed to them. You know the typical Geelong supporter hahahaha
Happily, that's not the case here. My brother is one of those realistic supporters, and he can't stand the way their supporters act now. Dad was much the same, just more reserved. For example, he thought the mass booing before last year's QF was brilliant. He also believes their coach is a complete f**kwit.

On the BF Geelong board, he regularly takes the opposing view to most of their deluded posters.

We probably offered Miles and C Ellis up to Gold Coast so they wouldn't match. Not sure on Gold Coast's interest in Towner, could be just media speculation.
That's all I think it is. He's one guy who's worth keeping.

This is the trade thread for this year, stop filling it up with memories of our previous drafts, its not relevant
Really? We can't discuss side topics in this thread? The 2013 draft is a side topic to the 2018 trade period because two of our players that have left in this draft were the final ones remaining from that draft.

If we had a strict thread for every idea and discussion then we would have had too many threads to keep up with on here.

That's all I think it is. He's one guy who's worth keeping.
It is going to be a tough call. With already 33 of 40 senior list spots taken, we will probably only re-sign 2 of Soldo, Towner, Drummond and Chol and take 5 picks to the draft.

Townsend to the Gold Coast Suns, mentioned as a possibility on Trade Radio.
Townsend 37 & 64 for 29 & 59 would be nice. Remember Townsend is a premiership player and JJ Liston medalist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? We can't discuss side topics in this thread? The 2013 draft is a side topic to the 2018 trade period because two of our players that have left in this draft were the final ones remaining from that draft.

If we had a strict thread for every idea and discussion then we would have had too many threads to keep up with on here.
I eagerly await your 'dae remember the 2013 draft' thread

You can’t say that the changes in recruiting made at the end of 2016 contributed to the flag, negligible effect, you only see the results of recruiting 4-5 years later. They get an unfair rap imo
We traded in Nank, Prestia and Caddy. All contributed to us winning the flag

Townsend 37 & 64 for 29 & 59 would be nice. Remember Townsend is a premiership player and JJ Liston medalist.

Do we really want to see Townsend playing against us? If he is traded we need to put a 'no tackle" clause in for games where we would be playing him. Yikes.

He would also be the first premiership hero to be off the list wouldn't he? Also sad for sentimental reasons. :(

Yeah I'd say so. Draftees or picks you'd imagine. Given that tomorrow is "deadline day".

Yep live trading involves picks only to try and climb up the pick order on draft night. Will be interesting to see how many clubs will trade out next years picks at the last moment to get into better positions in this years "super" draft.

Yep live trading involves picks only to try and climb up the pick order on draft night. Will be interesting to see how many clubs will trade out next years picks at the last moment to get into better positions in this years "super" draft.
Hoping we are involved.

Yep. My bro, and my dad was a cats man too.

Happily, that's not the case here. My brother is one of those realistic supporters, and he can't stand the way their supporters act now. Dad was much the same, just more reserved. For example, he thought the mass booing before last year's QF was brilliant. He also believes their coach is a complete f**kwit.

On the BF Geelong board, he regularly takes the opposing view to most of their deluded posters.
my ex-wife was geelong and use to think a mark awarded the team 2 points!! you cant imagine the pure hatred towards her when she converted my 2 kids to geelong after we split! luckily enough I've got my son back on board now!

It is going to be a tough call. With already 33 of 40 senior list spots taken, we will probably only re-sign 2 of Soldo, Towner, Drummond and Chol and take 5 picks to the draft.
He's been terribly unlucky, but I'd be very surprised if Drummond is still on the list next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back