List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

This is my take on our U25 Team after the National Draft:
View attachment 1858376

A few things stand out:
  1. We have almost no rebounding defenders who can kick - forcing me to put players out of their ideal positions

Current half backs

1. Duggan
  2. Jones
  3. Yeo
  4. Hough
  5. Rotham
  6. Burgeil
  7. Chesser
Hine-Bastion a chance.

A super elite kick? No. However they aren't terrible and the overlap handball run and gun from half back is the latest game plan.

Astonished peeps think we don’t need Tim English. WCE have lots of money and not a lot of talent.

If he’s willing, WC would bite that off without a second thought. We have a young midfield and whilst Bailey was really good last season, Tim could definitely help grow and protect the youngsters a lot more. As an aside Ive heard Warner is extremely happy at Sydney, however there is a strong family pull back home. Definitely a watch this space.

We shouldn't chase Warner for at least two more drafts IMO.

Astonished peeps think we don’t need Tim English. WCE have lots of money and not a lot of talent.

If he’s willing, WC would bite that off without a second thought. We have a young midfield and whilst Bailey was really good last season, Tim could definitely help grow and protect the youngsters a lot more. As an aside Ive heard Warner is extremely happy at Sydney, however there is a strong family pull back home. Definitely a watch this space.
Chad's brother is under contract with the Swans for two more years. Having him around would help.

The top up of the list with mature players is a couple of years away (unless they are free agents), keep adding kids, and let them develop before filling holes with mature players.

English. I'm just so meh on. Great around the ground, but the Dogs fall to pieces despite the quality of their midfield, whenever Libba isn't there to win clearances due to the fact English is so bad at actual ruckwork. A million a year for that makes me grimace.

Would gladly swap our night 2 picks with the Dockers' ones.
They took every player that I wanted lol.
Simpson > Hall
Murphy > Reid
Delean > Johnston
Will be interesting to compare all their respective careers...
I've just come from the future.

Can confirm that Hall, Reid and Johnston end up playing more finals for the Eagles than Simposon, Murphy, Delean play finals for Freo.

Given our list, would you rather offer Tim English or Sam Taylor a monster contract? If we can get Buss home for our 2R, take an elite speed and disposal outside mid with our 1R THEN get Taylor in 2025 as a FA then it’s going to look like an absolute master stoke from the team and explain why we did what we did this draft.

I'm no draft watcher, but a number of the guys on here who are were pretty keen on long. I also didn't really mean on the night, it was probably more the excitement building during pre-season.

How do you feel about the draft? Is there potential to these guys that I'm overlooking? I have never heard of Johnstone and people here were pretty divided on the others (A Reid being soft and Hall being a ball butcher).
Johnstone was talked about on the odd occasion. He was pretty good in some of his Coates league games that I watched.

It’s funny looking back at my own posts and how one can get somethings right and others be completely off the mark 🤣.

west_coast.png

CountryLad

Club Legend​

This is a good example why in draft years with the 'throw a blanket over them' ratings, the draft combine results do have some weight on the decisions clubs make. Surprising results like Ed Allen last yr can change draft boards.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Still games to go as well. Hall or a Tholstrup could play a couple of really strong league games, A Reid could boot a couple of bags or a Harvey Johnston keeps playing well at VFL level and they may pull ahead of that second round pack

I believe Zakostelsky won't see a senior game for 3 or 4 seasons, unless we have a genuine injury crisis with our tall defenders.

Simpson was at the very top of my list for our first pick, but we were prioritising KPP's this draft.

Torrent was a surprising pick. His highlight videos look good.

We've got a decent stockpile of WA kids from recent drafts.
You’ve got a gem in Reecey Torrent mate trust me!! Was really hoping we grabbed him with our last pick 🥲 He’s a Great kid, beautiful kick of the footy and like I’ve said previously someone I believe will thrive in the AFL system.

This is my take on our U25 Team after the National Draft:
View attachment 1858376

A few things stand out:
  1. We have almost no rebounding defenders who can kick - forcing me to put players out of their ideal positions.
  2. We are still light on for high quality KPD prospects, Bazzo is decent, but unlikely to be a true KPD more suited to the role of a third tall.
Reading points 1 and 2 above - it now makes a bit more sense why we were willing to offer our F1 in a straight swap for Curtin, he would have filled those needs perfectly.​
3. Whilst we have a large number of U25's on our list, we are still lacking in elite level talent when compared to other rebuilding sides (Hopefully we have elevate themselves into the elite category this year like Ginbey and Hewett).​
Our Biggest Needs for Next Years Draft to me are:​
1. Designated Kickers/HBF​
2. Outside leaning Mids or Wings​
3. KPD​
Wouldn't mind another small forward either (Sanchez in the rookie draft anyone?)​
Sanchez played mid all year in the colts and was our most influential in there at the champs.
Actually surprised at how good he was fwd so there's a bit to work with.

2024 has a good top end for midfielders even at 5-6. I think we likely get someone as good or better than Sanders and likely with a few extra tricks.

I believe Zakostelsky won't see a senior game for 3 or 4 seasons, unless we have a genuine injury crisis with our tall defenders.

Simpson was at the very top of my list for our first pick, but we were prioritising KPP's this draft.

Torrent was a surprising pick. His highlight videos look good.

We've got a decent stockpile of WA kids from recent drafts.
Sydney, GWS, GC and Brisbane in particular aren't afraid.

Melbourne & North on the other hand🙄

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given our list, would you rather offer Tim English or Sam Taylor a monster contract? If we can get Buss home for our 2R, take an elite speed and disposal outside mid with our 1R THEN get Taylor in 2025 as a FA then it’s going to look like an absolute master stoke from the team and explain why we did what we did this draft.
Don't forget pick purchasing. Our freed up cap will allow us to get back into the draft next year if this is introduced.

Not sure of the mechanics but I'd suggest they link the cost of the pick you purchase in a similar scale to the point system assigned to the picks.

Don't forget pick purchasing. Our freed up cap will allow us to get back into the draft next year if this is introduced.

Not sure of the mechanics but I'd suggest they link the cost of the pick you purchase in a similar scale to the point system assigned to the picks.

Great point. If they introduce pick purchasing and expand NGA rules it would be pretty good timing for us for a change, other than missing out on matching collard.

He is what hasn't been discussed.

If we had traded in Dev, what would we have had to pay? Most were talking a F2 with something coming back. Or pick 37.

How would that have changed things for us.

I wonder if we might have caved and split pick one.

Worry about next year... next year

Let's hope this group can get through injury free and can have a great season.

The contested midfield we are developing excites me.

Also the fact they are mostly contested players means a need for a genuine gun ruckman isn't as important.

BBW Is tracking upwards and Flynn and co will be great backups.

But, as I said... it's all about the injuries

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

The question is:

Will guys like Curnow and Tex Walker dominate v us in 2024 or have we improved that area?

Obviously depends on injuries to Gov and TB and improved midfield not letting teams walk it in at times.

I hope we can increase i50s and decrease d50s by 5-10 per game then things look better, on the scoreboard at least.

Less floggings hopefully.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Short of trading in an experienced (and good) key defender, it was unlikely we could do much else than hope Barrass and Gov stay fit next year.

A lot on Harry Edwards coming good (hmm) and Rhett Bazzo stepping up now.

Could always steal Borlase in the Rookie Draft?

He’s a total plodder from what I’ve seen but he’s still offer a backup option with some experience. Plus the added bonus of annoying the Crows.

That's backwards. The solution is not to give clubs access to NGA players in thr top 40, but to restrict all academy players from being matched in the top 40. AFL needs to decide if it wants a draft or recruitment zones, as this hybrid model doesn't work.

Personally I’d prefer first round. And for FS must be matched by a bid in the same round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back