List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

Callum Twomey

@CalTwomey
·
2m

Rookie draft up at 3pm today. Four players have been pre-listed by clubs under Academy Category B rookies - they will join officially if they are not picked in pre-season draft before: - Indhi Kirk (Sydney) - Coen Livingstone (WCE) - Bruce Reville (Bris) - Nathan Wardius (GWS

When did we last have a BRUUUUUCE in the league?

For this to happen we must have upgraded Dewar or Baker

Or there’s a loophole nobody has heard of that allows you to have 3 Cat B rookies provided your overall list size isn’t more than 44

This just makes the recruitment of A Reid more puzzling than it was already as Livingstone is another forward/ruck

Not saying they’re the same type of player, but the Reid selection feels similar in that we didn’t expect him to still be on the board so took him based on talent over needs. That then threw our strategy out

Maybe we were thinking of Hall earlier, maybe even trading down a little from 30, but took A Reid not expecting him to be there

Then got spooked or heard Essendon were after Hall so traded up to secure him. We clearly rated Hall so makes sense we might have taken him with our 2nd pick if Reid wasn’t there

It all has me with the lingering feeling that we somehow could have done better and the Reid selection is the key to that opinion. Not that he’s a bad player as such, but more that we’ve failed to address other list needs that were arguably more pressing
In a rebuild like we are having, you need KPF options.

I am happy with Archer Reid as our higher priority and then Livingston as a rookie as he has a bit mongrel and will crash the packs hard.

Archer will not be rucking in the WAFL for some time given his body size where as Livingston can do it now

I

Or there’s a loophole nobody has heard of that allows you to have 3 Cat B rookies provided your overall list size isn’t more than 44

This just makes the recruitment of A Reid more puzzling than it was already as Livingstone is another forward/ruck

Not saying they’re the same type of player, but the Reid selection feels similar in that we didn’t expect him to still be on the board so took him based on talent over needs. That then threw our strategy out

Maybe we were thinking of Hall earlier, maybe even trading down a little from 30, but took A Reid not expecting him to be there

Then got spooked or heard Essendon were after Hall so traded up to secure him. We clearly rated Hall so makes sense we might have taken him with our 2nd pick if Reid wasn’t there

It all has me with the lingering feeling that we somehow could have done better and the Reid selection is the key to that opinion. Not that he’s a bad player as such, but more that we’ve failed to address other list needs that were arguably more pressing

If Livingston is a Cat B we are only allowed 2.

So one of the existing may have been upgraded leaving only one spot / pick left for the rookie draft.

Patton or Sanchez please.

I’m guessing one got upgraded to a normal rookie spot?

That’s my thinking

Hopefully that gets confirmed by the club when they eventually get round to announcing contract extensions for Trew, Baker and Dewar

In a rebuild like we are having, you need KPF options.

I am happy with Archer Reid as our higher priority and then Livingston as a rookie as he has a bit mongrel and will crash the packs hard.

Archer will not be rucking in the WAFL for some time given his body size where as Livingston can do it now
Agreed, we also know at least two in Jamesion and H Edwards aren't up to it and need to be cut if they don't show dramatic improvement.

Not saying they’re the same type of player, but the Reid selection feels similar to the Brander pick in that we didn’t expect him to still be on the board so took him based on talent over needs. That then threw our strategy out

Harder to get spooked when you have the whole night to weigh up the list. We had offers for pick 30 and still chose to retain it and select Reid. There would have be n robust debate about the options on the board so the recruitment dept must be very bullish about him

Heard that Richmond said to us they were going to take hall unless we did the trade with them .

They did the same with freo and Simpson.

Then they took who they were probably taking all along in mcauliffe who was a reach at 40 so they knew he was available.

Richmond reached last year with Kaleb Smith too .
Is this even allowed?
Has anyone else done this?
I would have thought it's more about getting in front of the team that's actually likely to take them.
Should we start doing it next year as well lol?

Harder to get spooked when you have the whole night to weigh up the list. We had offers for pick 30 and still chose to retain it and select Reid. There would have be n robust debate about the options on the board so the recruitment dept must be very bullish about him

Not saying we got spooked into taking Reid - as you say we had plenty of time to make that decision

I am saying that we didn’t expect Reid to be there in our original plans but took him on talent hoping Hall would still be available at 40

Then got wind of interest in Hall by Richmond or Essendon or Richmond had an offer from another club for 38 prompting us to burn our F3 to trade up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this even allowed?
Has anyone else done this?
I would have thought it's more about getting in front of the team that's actually likely to take them.
Should we start doing it next year as well lol?
It only works if you know for sure what player the club is looking at taking, and that club has to be very determined to get them as against the other options that might be available.

Whats the go with Hine-Baston? Can we get him as a cat B, or would we have prelisted him already if we wanted him ala Coe-Livin?

Not saying they’re the same type of player, but the Reid selection feels similar to the Brander pick in that we didn’t expect him to still be on the board so took him based on talent over needs. That then threw our strategy out

You are right we must have upgraded one of Dewar or Baker.

Now that we have committed to taking Livingstone the Archer Reid pick does seem more strange. They obviously have Jamieson on the delist pile but they should have just cut his contract to open up another spot.

You are right we must have upgraded one of Dewar or Baker.

Now that we have committed to taking Livingstone the Archer Reid pick does seem more strange. They obviously have Jamieson on the delist pile but they should have just cut his contract to open up another spot.

draft 2 and hope one works out. not sure why its strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back