Status
Not open for further replies.

Here me out,

Balta plays 3rd tall fwd and ruck next year
Schlong replaces Balta which will be aided by the return of Broad

CCJ and pick 8 for GC pick 19 and pick 5

Use pick 5 on best mid that is ready to go rd 1

We are instantly a much better team
Balta’s best games and most consistent footy have been in defence , whilst CCJ has shown more in the ruck/forward role consistently than balta has .
As you’ve only mentioned pick 5 on midfielder you expecting the variation between pick 5 and 8 to make up that difference ?
I can’t , keep CCJ and play he and Balta where they’ve proved as good as any young KPP and use 8 on the best mid . It’s likely at least one of the 3 picks between 5-8 will be used on a differing type anyway .

I know he's a couple of years older, but I'd much prefer Robbie Tarrant to Talia if we're going to go for the stop gap key defender.

This is how I see the off season panning out.
Senior List
Astbury, naish, caddy (retired, traded)
Garthwaite delisted
Biggie and Miller both delisted and moved to rookie list. Think we keep Cumberland and i reckon CCJ stays.
Rookie List
Chol will leave as free agent
Egg Smith delisted
Stack and Pickett under the new rules can stay on rookie list 1 more year.
Mansell and Parker both retained. If we stick with the same format on our list this will mean our rookie list is full but 6 spots free on the primary list. Think we will take a ready to go midfielder and defender in the trade period and then use 4 picks in the draft where we will try to trade up as high as we can for our first pick.
As for houli I think after his comments he will get another year

"Biggie, Long, Schlong ignores Short and goes deep inside the arc."

I said I wasn't gonna post until the off-season but surely there's room for:

Short flicks it out by hand to Shlong, finds the gap and puts it straight through the middle!

People are carrying on like we're selling the farm for talia , he's going to cost a nothing pick
Narkle the same he's uncontracted , geelong take what we offer if Narkle walks
im ok with getting narkle, im also ok if we don't , would much prefer ed richards , 150+ gamer for mine

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So another words just let every player decide when they want to retire? Sounds like good list management
No.Just those that helped us bring 3 flags in the past 4yrs.

Balta’s best games and most consistent footy have been in defence , whilst CCJ has shown more in the ruck/forward role consistently than balta has .
As you’ve only mentioned pick 5 on midfielder you expecting the variation between pick 5 and 8 to make up that difference ?
I can’t , keep CCJ and play he and Balta where they’ve proved as good as any young KPP and use 8 on the best mid . It’s likely at least one of the 3 picks between 5-8 will be used on a differing type anyway .
Our 1st option is to keep him.
But by the sounds of it he's already made up his mind.
Not much we can do about it with him being uncontracted.

Not sure why Schlong has all of a sudden become a must get considering we already have Miller on our list who hasn't been let go by a club unlike Schlong has.

He's absolutely the best key defender outside the AFL at the moment, great size and strength with really good reach and great reading of the play. For all the flak the Cats get, they usually persist more with these types of players and if they don't work out after a long while, that's when they get rid of them. It's that 12 other teams have interest in him too. Clearly more strings to his bow than Miller, which isn't necessarily a knock on the latter given he just does what he does, but Schlensog has high potential.

Balta has matured and will have learned alot playing on the best KPF's and is ready to explode IMO.

Pick 5 could be the difference?

I am also basing this off CCJ wanting to leave, not being pushed.

He's absolutely the best key defender outside the AFL at the moment, great size and strength with really good reach and great reading of the play. For all the flak the Cats get, they usually persist more with these types of players and if they don't work out after a long while, that's when they get rid of them. It's that 12 other teams have interest in him too. Clearly more strings to his bow than Miller, which isn't necessarily a knock on the latter given he just does what he does, but Schlensog has high potential.
For sure if he's still available with our later picks(if we have room)then he maybe an option.All depends on who we draft prior to that as well.

I'll wait to see what happens. But I'd guess that e are targeting one guy to help right the ship for 2022. And that position is IMHO inside mid. Just need someone for 2-3 years to bridge the gap between Cotch and RCD/Dow/whoever else. It's our main weakness. If we can regain control over the midfield we will win games with a fit defence. We're reliant on Balta taking that #1 KPD role. But he can do that.

If we cna get mature KPD backup for peanuts than fine. Otherwise I would definitely focus on the engine room for 2022.

Drafting is different. Draft for the future, best available.

This is how I see the off season panning out.
Senior List
Astbury, naish, caddy (retired, traded)
Garthwaite delisted
Biggie and Miller both delisted and moved to rookie list. Think we keep Cumberland and i reckon CCJ stays.
Rookie List
Chol will leave as free agent
Egg Smith delisted
Stack and Pickett under the new rules can stay on rookie list 1 more year.
Mansell and Parker both retained. If we stick with the same format on our list this will mean our rookie list is full but 6 spots free on the primary list. Think we will take a ready to go midfielder and defender in the trade period and then use 4 picks in the draft where we will try to trade up as high as we can for our first pick.
As for houli I think after his comments he will get another year
Can't move players straight to Rookie list as was the case last year. Instead clubs can retain players on the Rookie List for up to 4 years
Also Miller is already a rookie.

So likely to keep Pickett, Aarts (both contracted for 2022), Stack, Miller, Mansell as Rookies
Parker a possibility to be kept and would expect Egg to be delisted.
That means we will have 5 or 6 rookies already.

Senior list spots

My guess
Garthwaite - delisted
Naish - traded or delisted
Chol - Free agent
Houli delisted (wants to play on next year)
Caddy - traded or stays
CCJ traded or stays
Astbury - retired

5- 7 spots available

Can't move players straight to Rookie list as was the case last year. Instead clubs can retain players on the Rookie List for up to 4 years

So likely to keep Pickett, Aarts (both contracted for 2022), Stack, Miller, Mansell as Rookies

Senior list spots

My guess
Garthwaite - delisted
Chol - Free agent
Caddy - traded or stays
CCJ traded or stays
Astbury - retired

5- 7 spots available
[/QUOT

Senior list spots

My guess
Garthwaite - delisted
Chol - Free agent
Caddy - traded or stays
CCJ traded or stays
Astbury - retired

5- 7 spots available
I wasn’t aware Miller had already dropped to the rookie list last year. Chol was also still on rookie list this season so doesn’t free up a senior spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back