List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's hardly value for money tho. A top ten pick could be every bit as good as Cerra in three years for a fraction of the price. We aren't using monopoly money. I've said it a hundred times, Cerra does not impact games. Now if you're talking Brayshaw or Serong, who would cost about the same, those guys impact games. Cerra is Freo's third fiddle (out of their young guys, not even counting Fyfe and Mundy). Anyone seriously considering two first rounders (that is Freo's price there no secret about that) and a five year ($600-$700k) salary (that's his price it's no secret) for arguably the fifth best mid at a club that is a perennial non finalist is bonkers.

Cerra can play but he just isn't the hard at it kind of mid Richmond highly value. Three years at $400k ? Sure. But if there were some more players on the market or wanting to come home we wouldn't even be discussing Adam Cerra. He would be a whipping boy on these boards straight after a couple of quiet games.

We're hitting the draft this year and next and setting the club up for the next ten years.
My post was about his worth pick wise.
Nothing to do with his contract.
You say a top 10 pick in this years draft could be as good as Cerra.
You could be right. You could be wrong.
Under the current circumstances(covid)and not taking his contract into account hence why we have lost interest i'd still take Cerra.

Narkle looks good in spells, but too many question marks on his endurance and on his knee. I hope we don't go the same path as we did with Mav Weller and get a player that is popular with our playing group instead of making a sound decision.
Personally I had no issues with us taking Weller as a minimum wage rookie lister. He was a hardened AFL player with exceptional character and leadership. Narkle is a completely different story with more a higher risk salary wise but also potentially higher reward. I’m not fussed either way on Narkle but to be honest I’m not sure he is best 22 with a clean bill of health.

For mine it’s somewhat of a catch-22. I don’t mind CCJ, but I question his future fit alongside Lynch as a 80-20% forward as do many others. He’s more agile than he looks, but is he agile enough?

That said, I would back in our coaching group to find a way to make it work should CCJ chose to stay.

That said, you are right (as are others) that if we were to lose CCJ and Chol it would severely shorten our depth for KPF’s. I don’t necessarily share the view that it stops us from competing for another premiership in 2022 and beyond, but nonetheless, it would become a weakness and make it somewhat harder. For me, we should be trying to add a KPF in this draft regardless, and CCJ/ Chol are more ‘placeholders’ for a few seasons.

I would suggest if CCJ were to nominate for a trade (and it seems to be heading that way), I suspect that it would mean that we’d have more flexibility to retain Chol.

If we lose both CCJ and Chol, I wouldn’t be adverse to seeing if someone like Jarrod Brander would be able to plug a hole (we were interested in him in his draft year) as a more mobile forward.

If we were able to wrangle out a top 3 pick (involving 7 + CCJ) for a Finn Callahan type, draft a KPP with our second pick (I’m not adverse to Mac Andrew), and keep Chol for say two years (or get a stopgap with upside like a Brander or a Weiderman [one may argue Weiderman has no upside]) I think that is some good work to keep the premiership window open and continue to build for life after Cotch & Co.
Agree.
If Cj stays Chol goes.
Visa versa.

Personally I had no issues with us taking Weller as a minimum wage rookie lister. He was a hardened AFL player with exceptional character and leadership. Narkle is a completely different story with more a higher risk salary wise but also potentially higher reward. I’m not fussed either way on Narkle but to be honest I’m not sure he is best 22 with a clean bill of health.
He'd probably be best 22, but whether we want him is a different story.

He's hardly value for money tho. A top ten pick could be every bit as good as Cerra in three years for a fraction of the price. We aren't using monopoly money. I've said it a hundred times, Cerra does not impact games. Now if you're talking Brayshaw or Serong, who would cost about the same, those guys impact games. Cerra is Freo's third fiddle (out of their young guys, not even counting Fyfe and Mundy). Anyone seriously considering two first rounders (that is Freo's price there no secret about that) and a five year ($600-$700k) salary (that's his price it's no secret) for arguably the fifth best mid at a club that is a perennial non finalist is bonkers.

Cerra can play but he just isn't the hard at it kind of mid Richmond highly value. Three years at $400k ? Sure. But if there were some more players on the market or wanting to come home we wouldn't even be discussing Adam Cerra. He would be a whipping boy on these boards straight after a couple of quiet games.

We're hitting the draft this year and next and setting the club up for the next ten years.

who in this draft after pick 7 is going to better than Cera over the next 5 years?

i personally would not take him i don't think he fits a need.

Last edited:
Talk of CCJ leaving has a fair bit of Higgins departure in it to me . Club stuck by player , player fu**s off as soon as a better opportunity comes by.
I see both sides of the argument
At the end of the day it’s also his career and he needs to do what gives him the best opportunity’s going forward

He’s ready to play AFL level footy and if all we can promise him is another 10ish games depending on injury’s this year and still no certainty’s the year after he would be also silly to stay if a Gold Coast are saying we will give you the opportunity to play 22 games next season and more money

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see both sides of the argument
At the end of the day it’s also his career and he needs to do what gives him the best opportunity’s going forward

He’s ready to play AFL level footy and if all we can promise him is another 10ish games depending on injury’s this year and still no certainty’s the year after he would be also silly to stay if a Gold Coast are saying we will give you the opportunity to play 22 games next season and more money
Well he can get 22 games a season at a shit truck team with no prospects of winning anything or he can bide his time and play finals at Richmond.

who in this draft after pick 7 is going to better than Cera over the next 5 years?

i personally would not take him i don't think he fits a need.
Shai Bolton went in the 20s and is a much better player than Adam Cerra and we've only paid him $600k ! Unless you have a crystal ball how do you know the next Shai Bolton isn't in this draft ?

Here's one for starters Nasiah Wanganeen Milera will be a better player than Adam Cerra. Geez some people have seen Cerra play half a dozen games since he came onto our radar and think he's GAJr.

I've seen EVERY game he's played and he just isn't that good. He doesn't win hard ball, he doesn't kick goals and he isn't a gut runner. The only thing he is, is available at a huge price. TWO first rounders and a massive long term salary. We'd be throwing away our future because for some here 3 out of the last four flags isn't enough.

Great kid, nice player, not what we need. The only reason those here are infatuated with him is because he's at Freo and wants to come home. Again, if we finished top 4 this year (where our list is rated) we wouldn't even be talking about him. He's going to Carlton where he belongs with all their other B graders.

Last edited:
And a GC fringe player ain’t having any positive influence on a club that is challenging .

Their fringe players are all top 15 picks. Their could be plenty of players we are interested in that haven’t got a run for GC yet. We could also try a 3 way trade for a pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s borderline, which mid does he replace? Do we play him ahead of Dow/RCD/Ross?
Atm it'd probably be Dow as RCD and Ross are completely different players to him plus I think that RCD and Ross offer more. Dow, in the future, may offer more than Narkle. I've liked what I've seen from towards the end of this season.

Narkle probs isn't worth it for the salary he'd be on imo.

Shai Bolton went in the 20s and is a much better player than Adam Cerra and we've only paid him $600k ! Unless you have a crystal ball how do you know the next Shai Bolton isn't in this draft ?

Here's one for starters Nasiah Wanganeen Milera will be a better player than Adam Cerra. Geez some people have seen Cerra play half a dozen games since he came onto our radar and think he's GAJr.

I've seen EVERY game he's played and he just isn't that good. He doesn't win hard ball, he doesn't kick goals and he isn't a gut runner. The only thing he is, is available at a huge price. TWO first rounders and a massive long term salary. We'd be throwing away our future because for some here 3 out of the last four flags isn't enough.

Great kid, nice player, not what we need. The only reason those here are infatuated with him is because he's at Freo and wants to come home. Again, if we finished top 4 this year (where our list is rated) we wouldn't even be talking about him. He's going to Carlton where he belongs with all their other B graders.
ffs who said anything about 2 1st rounders.

I wouldn't stress. That's what free agency is for who knows who RFC is already talking to for season 2023. I also wouldn't rule out Jack for another 1 year contract after the next.

He did after all just come 3rd in the Coleman. If that was CJ we would all be circle jerking over it but because Jack is over 30 most want to throw him on the heap.
I agree. With a good preseason for Lynch, Jack gets the 2nd best defender and he has the smarts to continue to be dangerous. Our delivery was shite this year and he still came 3rd in the Coleman. Jack's replacement in a couple of years either hasn't been drafted yet or will be a gun free agent. CCJ gives us the chance at another good draft pick in this year's midfielders draft, it also helps us reduce tpp. I reckon if it is jack vs CCJ jack is clearly still ahead and will be until he can't go any more. And what about if caddy becomes the 3rd tall cover up front or dusty?

Well he can get 22 games a season at a sh*t truck team with no prospects of winning anything or he can bide his time and play finals at Richmond.

The counter to that is that for most of these guys, their AFL career is the best opportunity they’ll ever have financially. Most former players make a fraction of what they made as AFL players post-footy.

Add to that the less than 10% of AFL players reach 150 games; there is a massive ticking clock for every player to cash in while they can.

I, like you, would rather see guys like Higgins and CCJ (noting there is still a chance CCJ stays) of staying despite better offers of opportunity and fighting for a place in a successful side. But that pull for financial security not just for a year or two, but for the rest of their lives cannot be ignored.

But that pull for financial security not just for a year or two, but for the rest of their lives cannot be ignored
Yeah I get that. Thats why I had no problem with Brandon Ellis leaving for the money he was offered. We could never have paid him that and it pretty much sets him up for life.

I agree. With a good preseason for Lynch, Jack gets the 2nd best defender and he has the smarts to continue to be dangerous. Our delivery was sh*te this year and he still came 3rd in the Coleman. Jack's replacement in a couple of years either hasn't been drafted yet or will be a gun free agent. CCJ gives us the chance at another good draft pick in this year's midfielders draft, it also helps us reduce tpp. I reckon if it is jack vs CCJ jack is clearly still ahead and will be until he can't go any more. And what about if caddy becomes the 3rd tall cover up front or dusty?
Caddy needs to be traded. We need his contract off our books.
Norf should be all over it to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back