List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon Baker might’ve got an offer too good to refuse,(5-6 years, $1million a year) I’m becoming more and more resigned to the fact this may be his final year at the tigers

If we get a couple 1st rounders that’s a great deal we got him as a rookie so we would have done well and a chance to reset and draft some good kids and nail the next couple drafts

This could be one of the greatest Win/Win/Win's in AFL history. Baker gets a massive long term contract that sets him up for life, Freo land a local with leadership and premiership success, and we turn a rookie (who's already qualified for F/S) into a pick around 7, whilst freeing up salary cap for Free Agents in positions that urgently need filling. These flogs better rest him a couple times during the season to make sure he's cherry ripe and not injured.
You’ve nearly convinced me

If this is meant to be a dig a Brooke you are off the mark
She is literally the daughter of an afl player and both Cotch’s daughters play jr footy
Daughter of the only full back plugged was scared to play against
Met rick very nice man with the killer blue eyes

A big offer for Baker next year might make better sense for the Eagles, when he is a free agent. They will need these type of players for leadership and mature bodies on the field while the young stars develop.

Free agent acquisition for eagles would be no problem, but they won’t part with high end picks. And Baker either leaves end of this year, or is a Tiger for life. Given Freo will probably offer a 6-year, $5m deal that sets him up for life he will be hard to retain if he’s keen for a live back home. (I think we’d offer 5-years at around $4m).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Top 10 pick plus more for Bakes? You’re dreaming Mate. Be lucky to get a mid to late first rounder for him. And I love him as a player

Not in today’s climate. Lachie Schulz was a future first PLUS pick 34. Baker would be seen as a far superior player to Lachie Schulz.

If Freo give us the Pies first rounder plus a second they’ve effectively swapped Schulz for Baker… they’d be thrilled with that.

Time will tell and lots will depend on the perceived quality of the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Daughter of the only full back plugged was scared to play against
Met rick very nice man with the killer blue eyes
100% if anything a little bit of that Kennedy dna is a good thing
Cotch’s kids are definitely going to have a mean streak

Ok folks have a bit of info albeit a week old now and things may have changed for obvious reasons.

I hear strong word Judson Clarke looking to exit RFC. It is mooted that he is not happy with S&C and both SA clubs were making offers but no suggestion of any other Vic clubs.

The second ACL now looms to be deal breaking so watch this space i say now that he stays a risk is too high.
Crows already have Rankin & Rockachilli
Port yeah maybe.

Ok folks have a bit of info albeit a week old now and things may have changed for obvious reasons.

I hear strong word Judson Clarke looking to exit RFC. It is mooted that he is not happy with S&C and both SA clubs were making offers but no suggestion of any other Vic clubs.

The second ACL now looms to be deal breaking so watch this space i say now that he stays a risk is too high.
Sad news. Unfortunately Clarke's ACL recovery will be under RFC S&C Dept. I hope the SA club who wants him oversees his recovery themselves.

Good news in a way. He's under contract and We still have shed loads of 6 footers left at the club.

Sad news. Unfortunately Clarke's ACL recovery will be under RFC S&C Dept. I hope the SA club who wants him oversees his recovery themselves.

Good news in a way. He's under contract and We still have shed loads of 6 footers left at the club.
Meh i wouldnt be fussed if he left..
He hasnt shown enough and will be in his forth year coming off 2 ACL's.

If Baker and Rioli wanted to go I think we would get first rounders for both it just depends on where in the first round. Either way a great way to start your new rebuild is by sending your flankers off for first rounders. Flankers are the blokes you draft once you have your core, which is what we did with them. If we can turn them into some future core then I'll drive them to the airport.

Thanking both of them for their service.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dan Rioli to the Suns !!!

I would ask for their first 3 draft picks and not budge
#4 , #10 & #20!

And they are the club stupid enough to pay it.
That might sound stupid but it may not be. The suns don’t need early draft picks so maybe they would hand over three picks for Rioli as long as we gave pack enough points for their academy kids

A big offer for Baker next year might make better sense for the Eagles, when he is a free agent. They will need these type of players for leadership and mature bodies on the field while the young stars develop.
This is why I really want to keep Baker and controversially Graham. Baker is a leader by his actions and can help show the young draftees the way. Graham is as slow as molasses but he was the captain for the SA side and won the Larke medal as well. By all reports Graham also sets good training standards.

We need to look holistically at our list build. Gold Coast failed in their creation because their facilities were s**t and the players they recruited from other clubs were not AFL leaders. The Abletts, Fraser, Bock, Campbell Brown, Harbrow were not leaders. Compare that to GWS who recruited Luke Power, James Mcdonald, Chad Cornes, Dean Brogan who were all captains or later became coaches along with Callan Ward and Phil Davis who would become captains of the club. The lesson here is that you can have all the best soldiers with the best equipment but if there are s**t leaders then you quickly fail.

Our list build should be drafting best available Talent, keeping leadership that is on the list and even trading in/Free agent some players who may not be absolute stars but those that can fill a role but set and drive standards. We have mixed feelings about Chaplin but in Hindsight he helped in the development of Rance and Astbury a heap (would of helped Grimes but Grimes was in that fragile hammy stage)

That might sound stupid but it may not be. The suns don’t need early draft picks so maybe they would hand over three picks for Rioli as long as we gave pack enough points for their academy kids
Just as we go to lodge that paper work, Kane and Dillon would come running around the corner to slap it out of our hands before announcing that the academy bidding system is changing. Richmond still loses Rioli but this time there is some loophole (that the Richmond FD finds was actually just written in black crayon in the rules) and we only get back a swift kick to the gonads, pick 104 and an ironclad contact that keeps our current fitness and conditioning department at the club indefinitely

This is why I really want to keep Baker and controversially Graham. Baker is a leader by his actions and can help show the young draftees the way. Graham is as slow as molasses but he was the captain for the SA side and won the Larke medal as well. By all reports Graham also sets good training standards.

We need to look holistically at our list build. Gold Coast failed in their creation because their facilities were s**t and the players they recruited from other clubs were not AFL leaders. The Abletts, Fraser, Bock, Campbell Brown, Harbrow were not leaders. Compare that to GWS who recruited Luke Power, James Mcdonald, Chad Cornes, Dean Brogan who were all captains or later became coaches along with Callan Ward and Phil Davis who would become captains of the club. The lesson here is that you can have all the best soldiers with the best equipment but if there are s**t leaders then you quickly fail.

Our list build should be drafting best available Talent, keeping leadership that is on the list and even trading in/Free agent some players who may not be absolute stars but those that can fill a role but set and drive standards. We have mixed feelings about Chaplin but in Hindsight he helped in the development of Rance and Astbury a heap (would of helped Grimes but Grimes was in that fragile hammy stage)
In my opinion the big mistake that the Suns Blues and North made was continually using all their early draft picks on midfielders. Carlton eventually picked up McKay Curnow and Weitering. I suspect that McKay and Weitering are the only two top ten picks the Blues still have after 13 years of top ten picks. The Suns finally picked up King and have now found key position players though their academy North on the other hand continue to pick midfielders and they don’t look they are going anywhere. The thing we need to do this year is to find multiple high end key forwards. If we lose Baker to achieve that then that is a cost we have to pay

If Baker and Rioli wanted to go I think we would get first rounders for both it just depends on where in the first round. Either way a great way to start your new rebuild is by sending your flankers off for first rounders. Flankers are the blokes you draft once you have your core, which is what we did with them. If we can turn them into some future core then I'll drive them to the airport.

Thanking both of them for their service.
Baker is an insanely good mark, just kicked a bag of goals from beyond 50. Toby Greene like. A flanker is Hugo, Cumbrerland, Banks.

Baker is so far above them it aint funny.

Gunna lose half a dozen players anyhow. Grimes, Prestia, Dusty etc. I think the club retain Baker until we can't match, that's our style.

In my opinion the big mistake that the Suns Blues and North made was continually using all their early draft picks on midfielders. Carlton eventually picked up McKay Curnow and Weitering. I suspect that McKay and Weitering are the only two top ten picks the Blues still have after 13 years of top ten picks. The Suns finally picked up King and have now found key position players though their academy North on the other hand continue to pick midfielders and they don’t look they are going anywhere. The thing we need to do this year is to find multiple high end key forwards. If we lose Baker to achieve that then that is a cost we have to pay
Out of those they drafted in the top 10 Weitering, Walsh and Mckay are on their list. They have a lot of others that are there they traded for.

I think you and a lot of other football fans get trapped in the thinking of just player talent being important to build a list and I think that would be true if it was a video game where the player rating is all that matters. Leadership and training is a huge thing that need to be accounted for. I have watched a lot of 2010 to 2012 games (even the Richmond games that were close loses because I think that the style of footy played back then as a whole was a better spectacle) and when he was on the field you could see the coaching and leadership that Cousins had. There was that Sydney game in 2010 (my favourite Richmond H/W Win) and you could see him in play directing Nason to be the better outlet option instead of being useless in the contest.

We need leadership to be at the club so we can try and extract as much talent from our high draft picks. The other benefit of Leadership is that we can reduce the number of off field incidences that can occur. If we have a list stacked full of high first round draft picks who have barely struggled in their life we are just going to end up with a frat house of douchebags.

Out of those they drafted in the top 10 Weitering, Walsh and Mckay are on their list. They have a lot of others that are there they traded for.

I think you and a lot of other football fans get trapped in the thinking of just player talent being important to build a list and I think that would be true if it was a video game where the player rating is all that matters. Leadership and training is a huge thing that need to be accounted for. I have watched a lot of 2010 to 2012 games (even the Richmond games that were close loses because I think that the style of footy played back then as a whole was a better spectacle) and when he was on the field you could see the coaching and leadership that Cousins had. There was that Sydney game in 2010 (my favourite Richmond H/W Win) and you could see him in play directing Nason to be the better outlet option instead of being useless in the contest.

We need leadership to be at the club so we can try and extract as much talent from our high draft picks. The other benefit of Leadership is that we can reduce the number of off field incidences that can occur. If we have a list stacked full of high first round draft picks who have barely struggled in their life we are just going to end up with a frat house of douchebags.
We have leadership in the club like Ivan Maric, Stev Morris and multiple other players still left on the list. Leadership doesn't normally cost you a top 10 pick.

If Rioli, Bakes and Dusty go tank mode is officially in overdrive.

If that happens then I expect us to trade up to get the best mid, best fwd and best def in the next 3 drafts (excluding academy & F/S). No trading in players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back