Trade Period 2023 - winners and losers

Remove this Banner Ad

I like what Sydney, Melbourne and Essendon have done, Fremantle has a lot of short tem pain but have also done well depending on how they go next year.

lol how is it the same episode?

Saad, Stringer and Smith were all trades vs FA picks ups and a player swap.

2017 draft our picks were 49, 66 and 76 compared to 9, 31 & 35 this upcoming draft.

The Saad, Stringer and Smith trades also left us with Picks 11 (turned into Shiel) and 60 for the 2018 draft, no picks that matter for 2024 have been given up.

No meaningful currency apart from money (which we have ample to burn as you can see with the plans to pay Shiels contract and make Gresham Band 1 to give a mid first rounder) was used to turn a retiree in Andrew Phillips and three out of contract players in BZT, Snelling and Massimo into Goldy, McKay, Gresham and Duursma while improving this years draft position and leaving all future picks that matter intact.
Don’t underestimate the weight those contracts can have on your TPP by the time your club should be in contention. The Magpies struggled to fill the cap in 2017 so brought in Mayne and Wells and they went a long way to tying us up from improving the list any further when we were in contention. McKay and Gresham are earning roughly 1.5 million between them by reports and somewhat proven by the compensation their clubs received. I don’t think you can justify overspending by saying you needed to fill the cap.

I like the McKay acquisition mostly for structure. He’s a solid player, but I doubt he provides the drive out of defence the Bombers need, yet he’s probably in the same pay bracket as Moore and Andrews.

I also like the Goldstein pickup as he’s an upgrade on Phillips and will better chop out Draper. And Bryan can continue to grow at his own pace.

There’s always a chance for change when players move clubs but I’ve seen enough of Gresham to conclude he’ll forever be a tease and he cannot step up to the next level neither as a forward nor as a midfielder. He’s the exact type of inbetweener I think Essendon needed to stay away from.

Duursma is just okay. Some weeks he’s good, others he isn’t. He is very rarely ever in his side’s best half dozen on game day. Given he’s behind Martin and Durham in the wing rankings, he probably needs to be more versatile and take whatever roles the coach throws him.

Yes the Bombers still have draft picks and fair credit to them for keeping an eye on the future, but I don’t think adding four okay players to an okay list pans for significant improvement. It mostly boosts your okayishness.

The memo at Port was to get backline depth. They couldn’t have picked two flakier defenders to fulfill that requirement than Esava and ZT

They could have sought out Lewis Young but that wouldn't change that narrative. Not exactly a lot of key talls floating around at the moment, thus the premium on Ben McKay and Harrrison Petty.

Without reading entire thread, the answer is Andrew Mackie. Master trader. Pleasure to see this guy in action.

Biggest losers were Demons

Somehow ended up with a crummier list of talls then they had before despite the fact so many options for improvement existed

Not getting Chol AND a proper 2nd choice ruck was inexcusable
Chol is shithouse. I'd rather Fullarton.

Fullarton is shithouse. Id rather almost anyone but. Worst trade of the window that.

Chol was the dynamic forward you needed and Demons style of play was the style that could get away with his defensive laziness also
I'm an Essendon fan.

Chol makes Weideman look like Jono Brown he's that soft. Probably the most overrated player in the AFL

We took 4 picks inside 22 last draft, have 2 first rounders this year. Last time the club was in this position, we traded in Ryan Griffin, Stevie J, screwed the cap and culture and ended up losing quality kids like Steele. The biggest difference this time round is the guy steering the ship.
Last time you made a Grand Final as well. Stevie J cost a 5th round pick. Other clubs at the top of the ladder are trying to improve there list over the trading period. GWS did not. Compare with Sydney for example

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm an Essendon fan.

Chol makes Weideman look like Jono Brown he's that soft. Probably the most overrated player in the AFL
I guess we truly find out this year in a way. Chols that clear best 22 player now so will get a full run of it

He is sot as butter but so was Ben Brown and he was very good in the premiership year. Demons could get away with it

Port Adelaide lost that by a length of the Flemington.

IN: Ivan Soldo, Jordan Sweet, Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, Esava Ratugolea
OUT: Pick 25, Pick 50, Future First, a future second-rounder tied to Freo.
I disagree. I think they solved pretty much all their list holes. You're also double counting because the first first came out for 25 and the freo first so you either count the first or the seconds. So it should read:

They either gave up pick 50 and a future first to solve both list list deficiencies plus depth issues

Biggest losers were Demons

Somehow ended up with a crummier list of talls then they had before despite the fact so many options for improvement existed

Not getting Chol AND a proper 2nd choice ruck was inexcusable

Retained Petty which was crucial. Bare in mind they took Jefferson last season people are forgetting this, yes he may need a bit more time but that is fine. Not sure who they could have got out of any other club, obviously went in with a plan , mini rebuild with picks 6 and 11 (which become 7 and lets say 12-13). Can easily get a defender to learn under May, etc.

Hawks got a good deal for Ginnivan but they butchered their work by trading Ryan and getting little for Brockman. Gunston adds nothing beyond sentimentality. Also overpaid for Chol.
The Hawks basically traded Ryan for Chol (plus Gunston as "steak knives")

I'm pretty non-committal about us getting Gunston back for another year, but it cost us nothing, so who cares? He'll play a few games next year and kick a few goals. That's something. No reason to hang shit on the club for being sentimental. He'll play a role.

Not sure why everyone thinks us losing Ryan, a 26 year old bloke with 3 games & 4 goals to his name is worse than picking up Chol, a 26 year old with 60 games and 80 goals to his name. I'm not saying Chol will be a world beater for us, but he'll also play a role as 2nd tall forward, kick a few goals and take some of the opposition's attention away from Mitch Lewis. Chol looks more likely to play another 60 games over the next 3 years than Ryan does. I've yet to see any 26 year olds come into the AFL and have a lasting impact. Podsiadly springs to mind, but he was in and out of the system for years and a hell of a lot better than Ryan (who I think is a long shot to play 50 games for Brissy)

Koschitzke wanted out and the Tigers thought he could play a role for them. He has been a very frustrating player for the Hawks. I don't think we rated him very highly which is why he wanted to leave. He might be a serviceable player for Richmond - it could come back to bite us, I suppose - but I'm not losing any sleep over his departure.

Brockman had made up his mind to go home and play for West Coast. The Eagles have 1st pick in the PSD. The Hawks had no leverage. We were lucky to get anything we could for him. He has some tricks, but I'm not overly fazed about losing him. He might end up 100 game player, but I doubt he'll ever be star.

Same goes for Ginnivan, although Brockman is way more invisible out on the field than Ginnivan, who at least brings a certain level of energy to his team and gets involved. Brockman does one or two nice things in the 1st quarter and then goes missing for the entire game. Not sure if he has the ticker for AFL footy. I'm not much of a fan of Ginnivan, but he has something about him. He did kick 40 goals last season as a 19 year old. That's more than Brockman will ever do.

I give the Hawks a pass for this trade period. Not great. Not bad. We kept our draft picks; we lost 3 d-graders and we added 3 blokes who will be of more use to us.

Last edited:
Fullarton is shithouse. Id rather almost anyone but. Worst trade of the window that.

Chol was the dynamic forward you needed and Demons style of play was the style that could get away with his defensive laziness also

If that was actually true, Gold Coast wouldn't have let him go

I think BZT will go better than a lot of people think. He is a great lockdown defender with heaps of desperation. He's just going to struggle with men who are 5cm taller than him and can bench press 3 times what he can. With Alir as air cover and Rate (spell check) taking the bigger guy, BZT will be an excellent defender for them.

If I had my way, BZT would still be at Essendon playing that role with McKay taking the big guy and Ridley intercepting.

Re Essendon's trading. We've added one good tall defender that was a need, unless Reid is allowed to have a bionic back operation. Small forward is a need as well so if Gresham is to play that role he is also a good get. Don't know much about Duursma and we all know that Goldy is the recruit of the year and likely to be captain of the club when Merret steps down.

The reason why the Essendon trading is meh is because the list is meh and this draft is meh. Trading away a genuine star or having them walk through FA in a good draft is what that list needs. 3 or 4 quality players per year since 2020, then one or two mature stars to complete it. Picking "best 22" players means it will just keep itself above the bottom 4 without making finals.

Trade Period 2023 - winners and losers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back