trading and drafting who should we get??? And who should we get rid of?

Remove this Banner Ad

matty lloyd the champ

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 8, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Houston Rockets
Get rid of Bolton, Solly, Lovett ( lazy), PEVERILL, Henneman, reynolds( can't kick )
Get Bryce Gibbs with our draft pick thats if we lose to Carlton
get high draft picks
Our Shopping List
Chris Judd:D
Ash Hansen
Polak ( maybe):confused:
Anyone else??????????????

matty lloyd the champ said:
Get rid of Bolton, Solly, Lovett ( lazy), and PEVERILL
Get Bryce Gibbs with our draft pick thats if we lose to Carlton

Our Shopping List
Chris Judd:D
Ash Hansen
Polak ( maybe):confused:
Anyone else??????????????

are you kidding, judd, i cant see him leaving wce in a hurry, the way hes playing he will pick up another brownlow this year, maybe a premioership, and get offered another lucrative contract to stay. the alternative - come to essendon- maybe win a couple of games next year, but even with him no chance of finals action for a few years. gee, what would i do if i was judd??

hansen maybe a possibility, but i dont think we need that type of player.

I think you lack a ball carrier your midfield doesnt really have anyone who runs with the ball and delivers effectively.

Get rid if :
Cartlege
Hennemen
Lovett - Trade
Nash
Peverill
Rama-Sad i know but we need his spot
Reynolds
Rioli

We need to recruit a good midfielder in the pre season draft if possible

they should draft Joel Selwood from Bendigo... lives in hometown of reserves side and is a sublime midfielder and genuine ball magnet-WITH CLASS!.. is out with a knee at the moment but will be right... younger brother of Adam (WCE) and Troy (BRIS) but has always looked the more promising...

Drafting;
Don't care about our first pick. It'll be our next 2 picks (eg. #17 +#19) that will impact a lot on our future.
I'd like to see us pick up Houli and Schmit if they slip through.
Vision, composure and silky skills are the key components we need to inject into our side. we shouldn't even give a look to any players that can't kick well. We've just got too many unskilled players.
Trading;
Don't know. so much has to do with factors that can only be known behind the clubs closed doors.
I've listed all the players on the list who are 23+ years old, and of those i've Bolded the players who will most likely make the senior core of the team when we will next challenge for a flag (3+ years)

(I'm not doubting that our group of 28 year olds won't be there in 2-3 years but from what we've seen in the last 2 years, none of them bar Lloyd can be considered "elite" footballers)

We need to boost our stocks of 23-25 year olds. if we don't, it will make it very difficult to be a competitive unit within aat least the next 4 years.
Therefore nobody is safe and we should look at absolutely all options come trade week.
We've all sat and watched our team slowly slide since 2001. They must take this opportunity to make some hard descisions for the future of the club.

Fletcher
Hird
Lucas
Lloyd
Hille
McVeigh
McPhee
Lovett

M.Johnson
J.Johnson
Rama
Rioli
Pevril
Bolton
Welsh
NLM

Solomon
Campo
Heff
Cole
Henno

Just off the topic, I can't believe in this current climate of afl football, how the Essendon F.C. can justify cutting back on their coaching staff while most other teams are loading up...

Wallis = Forward coach......... WTF (don't know why this is flying under the raidar the way it is. Collingwood get someone like Carey to help their Forwards, we have Wallis.
GO'D Midfield coach. Love this guy to death and he's very important in the box but he needs help, we need a recently retired player to help guide the midfield group and get them up to speed because the game is changing so quickly and the 2000 model for success is Sooooooo out dated.

Merv Neagle said:
Get rid if :
Cartlege
Hennemen
Lovett - Trade
Nash
Peverill
Reynolds
Rioli
Get rid of these blokes and that 18players in 2 years we have dumped, thats not going to be good for the club. It almost half the list gone in 2 years. I dont think we have reached the stage where we need to do something so drastic.

Re: trading and drafting and coaches ??? And who should we get rid of?

douggie the don said:
Drafting;

Just off the topic, I can't believe in this current climate of afl football, how the Essendon F.C. can justify cutting back on their coaching staff while most other teams are loading up...

Wallis = Forward coach......... WTF (don't know why this is flying under the raidar the way it is. Collingwood get someone like Carey to help their Forwards, we have Wallis.
GO'D Midfield coach. Love this guy to death and he's very important in the box but he needs help, we need a recently retired player to help guide the midfield group and get them up to speed because the game is changing so quickly and the 2000 model for success is Sooooooo out dated.

Interesting point you have raised douggie;

Are we sending too many messages from too many coaches ? And paying well over a million dollars for their services.

Sheedy, Wallis, Ayres, O'Donnell, Knights and now a new role being created for player development. What has been the impact on the EFC ? Some very ordinary results and a style of play similiar to other clubs which is very unappealing, and is not winning.

Hennaman, Bolton, Peverill, Ramanauskas(if hes not up to playing league footy), and Rioli( retiring anyway). No need to go too crazy if we have roomto move in our salary cap, then we can throw a few bucks at a few good players and hope to snare one or 2, preferably a key CHB or midfielder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hotwizz said:
they should draft Joel Selwood from Bendigo... lives in hometown of reserves side and is a sublime midfielder and genuine ball magnet-WITH CLASS!.. is out with a knee at the moment but will be right... younger brother of Adam (WCE) and Troy (BRIS) but has always looked the more promising...

Wold have to be careful there, many years ago, I worked with a guy who knows the Harveys (Brent n Shane) very well and back in 98/99 he made the statement that Shane was more skilful than Brent in every facet of his game.

The rest is history as they say....

Merv Neagle said:
Get rid if :
Cartlege
Hennemen
Lovett - Trade
Nash
Peverill
Reynolds
Rioli

A 21 yr old who has played 3 games and has shown a bit in these games?

Trading Lovett is extremely drastic. He has had a HORRIBLE year but the year before he was FANTASTIC. Know your history Merv Neagle, Michael Long took three years at the club before he produced a season like Lovett did last year. It would be ridiculous to burn him especially when he had a tragic personal start to the year.
cartledge, henneman, rioli and rama would almost be certainties to be off the list.
peverill, reynolds, bolton may be looked at due to list management.
Nash-hope not, Lonergan-goer but bit slow? and Lucy may be looked at. I do think those two probably safe though Thomas terminated after 1 year.
Hird and Solomon ponder their future- fitness issues.
Ben Jolley may be retained on list- I personally would.
Johns has done enough to be retained but durability a real issue.
I think they will look to lose 7 off the list. 5 for draft, 1 psd and 1 rookie elevation- jolley. Maybe lucy delisted and rookie listed. he looks a FAIR way off the pace with some others in front of him and Darcy Daniher available at the end of next year.:thumbsu:

I say keep solly, once he gets a bit of form he should be gone. keep lovett for this year, but keep pushing him and dumo him if he doesnt improve. Although we do badly need ramas spot i cant see them getting rid of him any time soon. Ditch reynolds, though again, i dont think they will purely for his last name. Keep nash, he's had some showing. Ditch Neagle, cartledge, rioli, henneman and lonergan. Keep Johns, he'll pull through eventually and definitely keep pevrill.

foj1 said:
Lonergan-goer but bit slow? and Lucy may be looked at. I do think those two probably safe though Thomas terminated after 1 year.

Thomas had previously been on an AFL list, so could therefore be delisted.

Obviously Longergan and Lucy have come straight out of the U18 comp, so their second year is safe.

foj1 said:
Trading Lovett is extremely drastic. He has had a HORRIBLE year but the year before he was FANTASTIC. Know your history Merv Neagle, Michael Long took three years at the club before he produced a season like Lovett did last year. It would be ridiculous to burn him especially when he had a tragic personal start to the year.
cartledge, henneman, rioli and rama would almost be certainties to be off the list.
peverill, reynolds, bolton may be looked at due to list management.
Nash-hope not, Lonergan-goer but bit slow? and Lucy may be looked at. I do think those two probably safe though Thomas terminated after 1 year.
Hird and Solomon ponder their future- fitness issues.
Ben Jolley may be retained on list- I personally would.
Johns has done enough to be retained but durability a real issue.
I think they will look to lose 7 off the list. 5 for draft, 1 psd and 1 rookie elevation- jolley. Maybe lucy delisted and rookie listed. he looks a FAIR way off the pace with some others in front of him and Darcy Daniher available at the end of next year.:thumbsu:

At this stage Lucy is in front of neagle as far as form and development goes. Not that it matters because they wont delist Lucy, Lonergan or Neagle.

Crave said:
Wold have to be careful there, many years ago, I worked with a guy who knows the Harveys (Brent n Shane) very well and back in 98/99 he made the statement that Shane was more skilful than Brent in every facet of his game.

The rest is history as they say....

i understand your point... but i played with adam and troy and know the family... the kid is pure class.. he has sensational skill, is a ball magnet and i have watched him rack up 40+ touches for vic country whilst playing above his age bracket...he is exactly what this club needs a ball winning midfielder that has fantastic skills and wont go missing... he would have gone top ten last year but was too young (by a narrow margin).. the media have forgotten about him (with his current injury- but i garauntee the clubs havent) :thumbsu:

foj1 said:

Maybe i should have described my reasons for wanting to trade Lovett as they are virtually the same as wanting to trade rioli years ago.
I will do so below, but lets address the longy issue. Longy showed far more brilliance in his first few years than Lovett has but theyer is a very big difference between the two.
Firstly longy came straight from Darwin and had a lot of trouble adapting to melbourne and especially its weather.He spent most of his time in the Saunas at the club as the winter was too cold for him.
Lovett played with the reserves and had a grounding before coming onto the list, longy just lobbed and played with men.I know my history.

The reason i want to trade Lovett and why i believe we should of traded rioli is they set bad examples.I do not believe it is in the best interests of the club, in Riolis case, to expect young recruits come in and explain to them how hard they have to work and look after themselves and then see a guy in the shape like rioli was.I'm not saying he didnt work hard on the track because he probably did but his fatness was a disgrace for an AFL player and sets a bad example.His injuries probably stem for carrying so much weight, but that's speculation.

In lovetts case he has a very poor attitude imo and this sets a bad example for the young kids.It's probably the timing more than anything as with this draft being so strong i would prefer them to be more "opportunistic" and trade him to get a good pick and "hopefully" a good kid in the door.
I agree that it is a risk trading him as he may end up a fair player, but i would take it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back