MRP / Trib. Tribunal Thread - rules and offences discombobulation

Remove this Banner Ad

SPP is the easy sacrificial lamb for the AFL who behind the scenes would have loved seeing the bump in the pre-season to make an example of

No chance someone at a big Victorian club gets 4 weeks for the exact same action, not to mention Victorian media would go into overdrive on how much of a good bloke the accused is, couldn’t prevent the collision etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I posted about Brayshaw, Frawley and Tuck because Scodges the genius posted words to the effect that I can't be a real Port Adelaide supporter or a fan of SPP if I want him banned for this. Which is an embarrassing, ridiculous comment.

Maynard's actions would have concussed most of the league. It's not just about being concussion prone with that incident.

The AFL (and wider society) has made it clear over 2 decades that if you throw yourself recklessly into a contest and hurt someone, you're responsible for it. What Sam did here isn't a normal footy action, he went in too hard to a contest and needs to take better care next time.

We don't need to stop playing footy. Players take care to avoid injuring themselves, their teammates and opponents at every contest in every game. They just need to continue to do that.

You think you’re advocating for the AFL & you’re opinion is just.
There are many here who disagree with you, that’s what I call embarrassing. You’re hoping Pep gets life just to boost your ego. El Hangman more like it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Its 3 weeks plus one Port Tax which if there is any consistency we should see some 6 weeks plus suspensions coming this season. Yeah sure it will. The tribunal found a few weeks in a desk not used on Maynard and threw it at SPP making an example out of him. AFL corruption at its finest.

You can't brace to protect yourself if you are going at speed it seems.

Tribunal reasons:

We do not accept that the conduct involved minimal culpability.

Powell-Pepper ran to Keane, who was in the process of being tackled. We accept he was seeking to assist with the tackle. We don’t accept Keane moved in such a way when being tackled by Rioli that Powell-Pepper could not have reasonably anticipated the movement.

As contact was about to occur, Powell-Pepper altered the position of his right shoulder and with his right arm tucked in made heavy and high contact with Keane.

Even if the shoulder movement was a reflex action, that fact does not mean that the conduct as a whole involved minimal capability.

We consider Powell-Pepper's conduct to have been very careless. He ran at speed towards a tackle that was occurring.

If he didn't anticipate that the tackled player would be moving in the tackle, he should’ve reasonably anticipated that.

He had a duty to take reasonable care to avoid head high contact when seeking to assist in a tackle. He did not take any steps to avoid the contact that ultimately occurred.

Even if we accept the shoulder movement was a reflex action, the reflex action occurred because he ran at speed at a player who was already being tackled. Powell-Pepper took no steps to avoid high contact with the player being tackled. In all of those circumstances we consider four weeks to be an appropriate sanction.

You think you’re advocating for the AFL & you’re opinion is just.
There are many here who disagree with you, that’s what I call embarrassing. You’re hoping Pep gets life just to boost your ego. El Hangman more like it.

My opinion is consistent. If Rozee or Butters gets knocked out in a similar incident this week, you'll want the book thrown at the player who did it. You need to be able to judge an incident on it's merits.

You can't brace to protect yourself if you are going at speed it seems.

This is basically what I argued this week (and in the Maynard case last year).

Once you go in at a force that means heavy contact is inevitable, you're responsible for that contact. Bracing is bumping.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back