Banter TRTT Part 12: Get Your Bowels Checked

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the clique is rolling in and yet nobody except me actually has a position on whether or not the Carlton song is a) Racist, and or b) Needs to change, and or c) Old mate has jumped the shark with his movements.

Don't know about this clique you speak of but I reckon personally it's C)

Would be happy to educated otherwise

And regardless this won't stop me from telling all Carlton supporters that they are racists now

So the clique is rolling in and yet nobody except me actually has a position on whether or not the Carlton song is a) Racist, and or b) Needs to change, and or c) Old mate has jumped the shark with his movements.
No, no and yes. I doubt 1 in a 1000 people even knew the racist history of it. So now people will feel upset on hearing it. Bravo, bravo, he’s really helped people here 🤪

Yeah sorry I actually didn't see this!
Looking at the argument he is presenting, that the song it is based on has racist roots is valid. I personally struggle to see how this makes the song racist.

A) Yankee Doodle (Hawks club song) was apparently written by the redcoats as an insult, strongly implying that American soldiers are gay. Instead, the Americans appropriated it and it became a song of pride and a **** you to the British. But there is a very easy argument to make that Hawthorn should change their song due to the homophobic history of the song.

B) Building on A), there could be an argument that Carlton have reappropriated the song.

C) Indigenous Carlton players have already come out and backed the club. If the black players, who would obviously be the ones directly affected by it because they sing it after every win say it is fine, it is fine. Although the argument could be made that since Carlton never win this is invalid.

D) Where is the line drawn when it comes to changing these things? I hate pulling that out, but I'm genuinely not sure. If Carlton are deemed a 'racist' club for refusing to change it, surely this makes every parent and kindergarten teacher racist the moment I make them aware that the song Ten Little Monkeys is based on a nursery rhyme called 'Ten little ******s' because they're still actively choosing to sing it despite its roots? Or Eeny Meeny Miny Mo?

However, I am not black, nor am I uncomfortable with telling a black person (or anyone) what they should or shouldn't be offended by but as part of this topic I think these issues need to be addressed. I also think disagreeing with him about his opinion here doesn't make a person racist.

Also I take everything back about manufacturing outrage this is a grouse topic.

Or Eeny Meeny Miny Mo?

It still blows my mind that I’m old enough to have been taught the original lyrics to this with nary a raised brow by the adults passing on the song.

It still blows my mind that I’m old enough to have been taught the original lyrics to this with nary a raised brow by the adults passing on the song.
We used this throughout my primary school years and I honestly thought the word was knicker. I reckon we all said knicker. I had no idea why we said knicker but we did. I think I was an adult before the penny dropped.

We used this throughout my primary school years and I honestly thought the word was knicker. I reckon we all said knicker. I had no idea why we said knicker but we did. I think I was an adult before the penny dropped.
We said n word at my primary school but we also had our yr 2 class blackface & pretend we were from Kenya for sports day one year so maybe not a thorough example…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Christ.

Whoever would have thought I went to the wokest school?

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

I think it’s more the point you are 13 and everyone else commenting is 85

Primary school kids in the 90s were still being taught the original lyrics. I was saying it without ever knowing what it referred to and then one day it just changed to tiger without explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back