Twilight Grand Final all but confirmed - but actually no!

Remove this Banner Ad

Like I said it was the Thursday night game by Carlton and Collingwood the year before that gave it momentum to trial. It was still controversial in 1993 though as well remember just like how people wondered how pink ball would effect cricket in Day/Night Test, the talk leading up to first final at night in 1993 was about things like how is Kernahan going to maintain his marking strength if the ball is in the air with floodlights in sky directly behind it? Obviously in time just accepted as another variable in playing conditions just like players can lose sight of ball in air directly looking into the Sun on a bright sunny afternoon.

They could have played the Carlton and Essendon final in the day in 1993 at MCG whilst Eagles and North played at Waverley Park. They just chose not to because they had not played finals at same time in Melbourne for 10 years at that point and the success of the 1992 night game at MCG between Carlton and Collingwood had them ready to experiment with a night final. That had the build up of a final so no surprise next year they trialled the first final at night.
The fact was night games for premiership points had already been around since start of 1985 so it was becoming more accepted to play some games at night. But on top of that having the game live on tv against the gate was still very experimental at this point. It was mainly just games from interstate shown live. This may have been the first final shown live in Melbourne that was not a grand final and so tv broadcasters were getting things more their way, paving the way for AFL to ask for more in broadcast rights as time went on.

Last edited:
This may have been the first final shown live in Melbourne that was not a grand final and so tv broadcasters were getting things more their way, paving the way for AFL to ask for more in broadcast rights as time went on.

Pretty sure Ess v Carl was shown into Melbourne on delay (79k, not a sell out)

AFL Today from 6pm-8:30pm would have shown a full replay of North v WCE first.

Last edited:

for the entertainment to work better at night with the act in the middle of the ground... they need to get a "halftime entertainment" crowd onto the surface at halftime like they do at the Super Bowl, so that whatever act is on the ground, it will look like a concert... however, not sure if security have the patience enough to get everyone off in a timely manner when it finishes... not to mention the AFL's concern of the state of the ground for the second half

right now, because the crowd is so far away from the performer when they are in the middle of the ground, the atmosphere for it kinda sucks

was a bit better in those years when when the acts were right in the crowd themselves... especially for Lionel Ritchie

What is this bullshit?!

You call everyone who likes the day game 'grandpa' and then you trot out this bullshit?!

There seems to be a lot of this "grandpa" name calling and we're all just old traditionalist. I say the pro twilight movement are nothing more than a bunch of nerds who for one Monday morning of the year would love to be able to stand around the water cooler and recall how rad their Saturday night was. Cause let's face it. Other than footy, their nightlife long ago ran out of ideas.

Another typical corporate decision made by Gil. Better to make no decision than make the wrong decision. It's different to changing the rules, only the fans hate that, but Gil simply hasn't got the balls to upset the MCC members and get it all organised in time for this year.
Of course Twilight time is a better time, i stilll think night time is the right time. Gil and co have no balls!

I really don't understand why folks are so passionate about seeing the time slot moved to be honest. I am certainly not a grandpa either, just have been to 3 GFs and had a phenomenal time at each one. The time slot means you get out around 6pm and able to hit the enourmous array of bars/resteraunts etc and celebrate the day.

I'm happy with the time slot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah. Feel this is the best decision. Bucking with tradition "to show you aren't beholden to it" is essentially the motivation for the twilight camp and I see it from the most libtard among fans. It's always some kind of symbolic thing against AFL house, and against "conservatism" among fans. Everything political.. yet again.

No. Day grand final just makes the most sense. Means the most to the game and it's current generations of fans. It's now even MORE unique of a fixture due to night games being the marquee in season. To make it like every other big game would be an atmosphere anesthetic. There's already been progression for TV audiences to maximize eyes on the prelims. But anyone who's gonna watch the GF will watch it in the day slot, or record it for when they are home.

Bottom line.. no real argument has been made aside from empty "change with the times" sentiments.

better atmosphere than seeing an act on stage where it looks like no one is there to listen
No one is there to listen. Everyone is there to watch a game of football. You know, the thing that the day is actually about.

THe half time act simply does not matter and should not even enter into consideration as regards the start time of the game.

Bottom line.. no real argument has been made aside from empty "change with the times" sentiments.
Main reason is that the majority of AFL games are now played at night, and basically all finals are played at night.

Players and supporters are now consitioned to seeing AFL played at night.

It made sense when all games were played on Sat arvo to play the GF on Sat arvo, but now that the majority of games are at night the GF should too be at night.

Then there are commercial reasons, will get more $$ from broadcasting during prime time.

Then there is expansion reasons, more casual non football fans more likely to tune in at night than during the day.

No one is there to listen. Everyone is there to watch a game of football. You know, the thing that the day is actually about.

THe half time act simply does not matter and should not even enter into consideration as regards the start time of the game.

Exactly.
First grand final I went to live was the 1986 one. They made a big deal of trying to have some half time entertainment extravaganza but could not care less as a football fan there. At half time you want to talk with mates and friends or get something to eat and drink or have a toilet break or even listen to half time talk on radio about what tactics could help team behind. Don't mind the half time sprint as a few minutes of checking out but apart from that, the game itself is all the matters for football fans.

Whatever extravaganza they had at half time in 1986 had a lot of money spent on it, sponsored by Foster's or something. Thank god it did not become a regular event on grand final day.

It is a football day after all.

Of course Twilight time is a better time, i stilll think night time is the right time.

You say that like it's an immutable fact. With a 4.40pm start here in Perth today for the 1st quarter and a half players at one end of the spent most of their time shielding the sun from their eyes. Of course the reason for this start time was not because of any thinking that twilight is the perfect time for a game of footy, but to suit Melbourne TV audiences. WA teams know they'll be playing a variety of start times to suit eastern states viewing preferences.

Yeah, in terms of the time slots I am not totally convinced they are right. I am sure they are more careful with the scores and stats but starting time not convinced on. If I can find a footy record from 1999 would be interested what time it showed it started. AFLtable showing 3pm but having a feeling it was more like a quarter past 3 myself.

You are right to doubt my start times, I had a single source which turned out to be a bit iffy (particularly with non-east coast games). The Football Record does claim a 3pm start in 1999 though, obviously the actual start time was unknowable beforehand.

You are right to doubt my start times, I had a single source which turned out to be a bit iffy (particularly with non-east coast games). The Football Record does claim a 3pm start in 1999 though, obviously the actual start time was unknowable beforehand.
Hey, do you actually create that site information at AFLTables mate ?
Sounds like you do by those words. Bloody great site in general for checking up quarter by quarter scores, goal kickers and general match stats mate. Great work what you do for us footy nuts.

The worst is when people bring up how good the prelim was at twilight last year. If the games were swapped and the Swans smashed the Cats at that time, no one would be talking about how good the timeslot was. The prelim was amazing due to the 44 players on the field giving it absolutely everything and had nothing to do with the sun setting at some stage during the game

Good point - perhaps the Swans/Cats prelim is evidence of why we should never have a night GF

I'm guessing early VFL GFs started right at 2pm, at least before any live telecasts

Pretty sure in the early days they started about 3pm to allow for people who did half days on Saturday before the 5 day week. I'm reading the history of Grand Finals books and there was one around 1940 where they said the start time was brought forward from 2.45 to 2.30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back