Preview u23 game - Port vs Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Little summary of what I saw of the game, sitting under the shade of the Northern end, right next to the Crows' telescopic camera contraption.

Marshall: Good. Can play. Skills when the ball is on the ground are excellent and his vision is underrated. Simply have to play him. There will be downs, but he is essential to the structure. Criticism of him is generally ridiculous.

Ebert: Love the guy. Warrior. Hurts me to say it, but he's done. Anything he brings to the first 22 can be replaced by players with a broader skillset. If I hadn't have know who he was, could have been mistaken for a top-up player.

Buzza: Depth player- nothing more. He plays AFL if there are no other KPF options. I expect he will play SANFL all season, where he could do quite well.

Farrell: Absolutely elite kicking. Gets knocked off it a bit too easily, but has to be right in the mix.

Hayes: Please let the footy gods shine positively on this kid from now on- really, really, good.

Garner: Really like him. Calm under pressure and good attributes. Only thing that keeps him out is it's probably either him or DBJ.

Drew: Covers the ground well. Hard. Tackles well. I have him ahead of Rockliff and Ebert for inside mid duties.

Atley: Nothing bad, but nothing that really stands out to me. I think he's down the pecking order. To me, he's an inside mid and nothing else.

Burgoyne: Worth a spot on the list. A development player but had enough to keep me interested.

Mayes: Depth

Williams: QUALITY. Huge vertical leap with the ability to hit the ground and be up and at the footy in a flash. At the moment, he's a 6 kick, 4 goal forward. Certainly right in the mix for Round 1.

Woodcock: Love his aggression and his skills are pretty good. Small forward/mid. Depth at the moment, but could play and do well.

Patmore: I would hope he uses the season to get back from his injury and push for a spot towards the end of the season.

Lienert: I don't think he's anything clear at the AFL level. He's depth, but with such slim pickings for key defenders, he's right in the mix.

Grundy: Actually, really impressed me. Great closing speed and very long arms to get the the spoil. Looking forward to seeing him develop more in 2020.

Frederick: Quick off half-back. SANFL

Cox: Key forward hands in small forwards body. He's not first 22, but like Woodcock, could come in at time and make an impact. He could also go unsighted.

Pasini: Good foot skills and expect he will develop in the SANFL and start to put some pressure on for a spot in the next 12-18 months.

Sutcliffe: Busts his arse and hope he does so all year in the SANFL.
Appears that Grundy has developed really well from last year..might just turn out to be a hidden gem.
Also feedback on Pasini is good as well. A tall defender with kicking skills...very novel..

Little summary of what I saw of the game, sitting under the shade of the Northern end, right next to the Crows' telescopic camera contraption.

Marshall: Good. Can play. Skills when the ball is on the ground are excellent and his vision is underrated. Simply have to play him. There will be downs, but he is essential to the structure. Criticism of him is generally ridiculous.

Ebert: Love the guy. Warrior. Hurts me to say it, but he's done. Anything he brings to the first 22 can be replaced by players with a broader skillset. If I hadn't have know who he was, could have been mistaken for a top-up player.

Buzza: Depth player- nothing more. He plays AFL if there are no other KPF options. I expect he will play SANFL all season, where he could do quite well.

Farrell: Absolutely elite kicking. Gets knocked off it a bit too easily, but has to be right in the mix.

Hayes: Please let the footy gods shine positively on this kid from now on- really, really, good.

Garner: Really like him. Calm under pressure and good attributes. Only thing that keeps him out is it's probably either him or DBJ.

Drew: Covers the ground well. Hard. Tackles well. I have him ahead of Rockliff and Ebert for inside mid duties.

Atley: Nothing bad, but nothing that really stands out to me. I think he's down the pecking order. To me, he's an inside mid and nothing else.

Burgoyne: Worth a spot on the list. A development player but had enough to keep me interested.

Mayes: Depth

Williams: QUALITY. Huge vertical leap with the ability to hit the ground and be up and at the footy in a flash. At the moment, he's a 6 kick, 4 goal forward. Certainly right in the mix for Round 1.

Woodcock: Love his aggression and his skills are pretty good. Small forward/mid. Depth at the moment, but could play and do well.

Patmore: I would hope he uses the season to get back from his injury and push for a spot towards the end of the season.

Lienert: I don't think he's anything clear at the AFL level. He's depth, but with such slim pickings for key defenders, he's right in the mix.

Grundy: Actually, really impressed me. Great closing speed and very long arms to get the the spoil. Looking forward to seeing him develop more in 2020.

Frederick: Quick off half-back. SANFL

Cox: Key forward hands in small forwards body. He's not first 22, but like Woodcock, could come in at time and make an impact. He could also go unsighted.

Pasini: Good foot skills and expect he will develop in the SANFL and start to put some pressure on for a spot in the next 12-18 months.

Sutcliffe: Busts his arse and hope he does so all year in the SANFL.

Top summary. I was there live and can't fault any of that.

i dont blame Wines, every problem with Wines leads back to Ken,

1. 1st Ken anointed him the next captain 4 years out from being captain without no-real hard evidence of what type of captain he would be, except the thought bubble of greatest (im still yet to see a real leader in him at any stage during his footy career)
2. 2nd Ken made bad judgement calls on Wines in 2015-16 period because the pressure was on him for results, so he decided to try and get Ollie as an outside player as well by stripping him down and taking him out of the guts where thats is where he should stay
3. Ken put him back in the guts after wasting 2 years on the Hybrid Wines experiment
4. Ken has never dealt with Ollie's disposal issue and now it's ingrained in him to be a bland low-impact player
5. Ken still made him captain because he has no good-judgement himself and we know how that turned out
6. Ken privately backing Ollie in the water skiing incident by telling him he did nothing wrong and he needs work-life balance and in the process making him look like a goose
7. Ken takes away the captaincy, still we have heard no explanation why and i'd would have hated to have been in the office when that conversation took place because the back peddling would have been something to behold, I suspect Ken would have blamed outside influences and not himself
8. Ken stabs Ollie in the back by telling the footy department Ollie is surplus to needs and we will took to trade him at years end, all the while stringing Ollie along with how much he loves him when Ollie fully knows Kens already stabbed him in the back

When Ollie leaves he'll let rip on Ken and get his mum to post subtle posts on twitter as is the Ollie way
There's nothing like some completely educated, totally not hysterical, external analysis :drunk: :thumbsu:

Appears that Grundy has developed really well from last year..might just turn out to be a hidden gem.
Also feedback on Pasini is good as well. A tall defender with kicking skills...very novel..
Our list balance looks a hell of a lot better if Grundy and Pasini can develop into AFL quality players. So important that they stay healthy and get 20 games of development at SANFL level this season.

Our list balance looks a hell of a lot better if Grundy and Pasini can develop into AFL quality players. So important that they stay healthy and get 20 games of development at SANFL level this season.
I was having a piss at the gala night to my left was Grundy to my right I had Delaney and Wilbur Wilson.
Grundy was asking Delaney how good Wilbur was Roger told him to ask him about 04 when he had to have both shoulders recode after the g.f lol Wilbur was a tough prick.
Thought it was good Grundy was asking these questions surely the club get past greats to the club all the time?

Had a look on Saturday. Went old school and swapped ends each quarter to sit behind the goals at the end we were kicking. Haven’t done that since 1990 when I saw almost every one of Scotty Hodges’ 153 goals at close quarters…

Interestingly our forwards coach did the same thing. He wasn’t shy in airing his frustrations. Wasn’t happy when Todd kicked around his body (must be something they are working to get out of his game) and was particularly critical of the mids going to the pockets. I laughed when he had to check the player list to see the name of a couple of the Magpies boys…

Some of my observations.

Hayes was easily BOG. His centre square work in the 2nd qr was Brendon Lade like. After half time the Crows rucks were struggling so much that Sam started to tale the ball out of the ruck rather than tap it. Interestingly that is when the Crows got back on top. Is better off using his tap work rather taking possession. Will definitely tempt the selectors this year.

Marshall will be fine. Is developing a good frame and looks stronger in the contest that last year. When he was able to work out of the square I thought he looked good. Would’ve clunked a couple if Buzza didn’t kamikaze the pack. Was called on to plug some holes all over the place – almost Westhoff like – so can’t really judge his scoreboard output.

Buzza looks a capable option at SANFL level but can’t see him playing any AFL games. He looks like a great team man though. Always has a smile on his face and was getting genuinely excited for teammates when they goaled. Just needs to learn when to go and when to let his team mate attack it instead. Will add to the group.

Williams has a Ben Brown length run up with 4 Kennedy stutters along the way. Bassett described his goal sense as ‘uncanny’, but said he needs to learn to play a bit higher up the ground because ‘Robbie Gray isn’t quite ready to retire’…

Burgoyne could surprise this year. Low touch, high reward forwards can shine brighter in the AFL than they do at SANFL level.

Frederick got plenty of it. And burnt it every time.

Drew looks class when he gets it. Needs to get more of it to push Rocky out of the side. Hope he stays healthy and takes the next step this year. Needs to lift his possession numbers or he is at risk of having an Andrew Moore type career.

Grundy has learnt how to spoil. He’s getting very good at it. Just needs to get a whole lot fitter and learn how to football and he’ll be a prospect.

Ebert. Not sure where he fits anymore. Think he looks best deep forward to be honest. Almost a liability anywhere else.

Tobin Cox would kick 150 goals playing ammos. Old school full forward stuck in a Brett Ebert body.

Frampton. 3 years. Lol. Take the money and run Billie!

Williams bassett described his goal sense as ‘uncanny’, but said he needs to learn to play a bit higher up the ground because ‘Robbie Gray isn’t quite ready to retire’…

Wait. Did Bassett really say that?

* me. ******* * * campaignering *

don’t you do it you campaignering campaigners *

what is it written on the walls down there ******* how to * prospects up. they’ve written the ******* manual on it and page 1 seems to be, if a bloke is good at something, make him do something else.

you know what’s better than 2 natural goalkickers? 1 natural goalkicker. Well that’s the ******* hinkley way.

* me.

we can have more than one forward in the ******* forward line you campaignering dipshits.

also, let Dylan do what he’s good at, if you want him to get better at the stuff he isn’t as good at yet, that’s what training is for you dumb backwards campaignering turd.

* me. Pls * these coaches off before they wreck these kids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fu** me. ******* fu** fu** campaignering fu**

don’t you do it you campaignering campaigners fu**

what is it written on the walls down there ******* how to fu** prospects up. they’ve written the ******* manual on it and page 1 seems to be, if a bloke is good at something, make him do something else.

you know what’s better than 2 natural goalkickers? 1 natural goalkicker. Well that’s the ******* hinkley way.

fu** me.

we can have more than one forward in the ******* forward line you campaignering dipshits.

also, let Dylan do what he’s good at, if you want him to get better at the stuff he isn’t as good at yet, that’s what training is for you dumb backwards campaignering turd.

fu** me. Pls fu** these coaches off before they wreck these kids.
Surely this must be the record number of asterisks in one post.

what is it written on the walls down there ******* how to fu** prospects up. they’ve written the ******* manual on it and page 1 seems to be, if a bloke is good at something, make him do something else.

fu** me.

Love the passion but maybe reading too much into it. All it said to me was that if Dylan wants to play he'll have to develop the tank to play high half forward when Robbie is playing deep. Makes sense to me. Bass is a huge wrap for Dylan.

Love the passion but maybe reading too much into it. All it said to me was that if Dylan wants to play he'll have to develop the tank to play high half forward when Robbie is playing deep. Makes sense to me. Bass is a huge wrap for Dylan.

Sack Bassett.

fu** me.

Is there any forward in the AFL that only plays in the forward 50?

Of course he has to go a little further afield.

Is there any forward in the AFL that only plays in the forward 50?

Of course he has to go a little further afield.

i reject the premise that we can only have one deep forward and until then Dylan has to learn to play up the field.

I also reject the premise that Robbie should have a permanent hold on playing deep forward.

his best football is around stoppages, we’ve simply become reliant on bombing the ball onto his head and hoping he performs a miracle. It’s a ploy that teams worked out ages ago when they started playing guys like Steven May And Scott Thompson on him, which they could do because the whole Robbie gray isolated in the forward line routine demands that Dixon * around uselessly 100m up the ground.

if Bassett is thinking that what is left of robbies career is going to be spent doing the same s**t that has been detrimental to us in the past while Williams is going to be held out of the side to develop into something he currently isn’t I want him the * away from port ASAP.

just maybe it was a throw away comment by Bassett, I wasn’t there, but it fits so perfectly the mentality we’ve seen wreck season after season and player after player.

Last edited:
i reject the premise that we can only have one deep forward and until then Dylan has to learn to play up the field.

I also reject the premise that Robbie should have a permanent hold on playing deep forward.

his best football is around stoppages, we’ve simply become reliant on bombing the ball onto his head and hoping he performs a miracle. It’s a ploy that teams worked out ages ago when they started playing guys like Steven May And Scott Thompson on him, which they could do because the whole Robbie gray isolated in the forward line routine demands that Dixon fu** around uselessly 100m up the ground.

if Bassett is thinking that what is left of robbies career is going to be spent doing the same s**t that has been detrimental to us in the past while Williams is going to be held out of the side to develop into something he currently isn’t I want him the fu** away from port ASAP.

just maybe it was a throw away comment by Bassett, I wasn’t there, but it fits so perfectly the mentality we’ve seen wreck season after season and player after player.
I'm saying that no player in any team ever plays within the 50 arc for all of a game. There cannot be a sole deep forward for most of a game.

I would want to see Robbie/Dylan/Whoever moving around within the forward half, mixing it up, otherwise it becomes far too static and predictable.

his best football is around stoppages, we’ve simply become reliant on bombing the ball onto his head and hoping he performs a miracle. It’s a ploy that teams worked out ages ago when they started playing guys like Steven May And Scott Thompson on him, which they could do because the whole Robbie gray isolated in the forward line routine demands that Dixon fu** around uselessly 100m up the ground.

if Bassett is thinking that what is left of robbies career is going to be spent doing the same s**t that has been detrimental to us in the past while Williams is going to be held out of the side to develop into something he currently isn’t I want him the fu** away from port ASAP.

You want us to play 2 small forwards deep at all times?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Had a look on Saturday. Went old school and swapped ends each quarter to sit behind the goals at the end we were kicking. Haven’t done that since 1990 when I saw almost every one of Scotty Hodges’ 153 goals at close quarters…

Interestingly our forwards coach did the same thing. He wasn’t shy in airing his frustrations. Wasn’t happy when Todd kicked around his body (must be something they are working to get out of his game) and was particularly critical of the mids going to the pockets. I laughed when he had to check the player list to see the name of a couple of the Magpies boys…

Some of my observations.

Hayes was easily BOG. His centre square work in the 2nd qr was Brendon Lade like. After half time the Crows rucks were struggling so much that Sam started to tale the ball out of the ruck rather than tap it. Interestingly that is when the Crows got back on top. Is better off using his tap work rather taking possession. Will definitely tempt the selectors this year.

Marshall will be fine. Is developing a good frame and looks stronger in the contest that last year. When he was able to work out of the square I thought he looked good. Would’ve clunked a couple if Buzza didn’t kamikaze the pack. Was called on to plug some holes all over the place – almost Westhoff like – so can’t really judge his scoreboard output.

Buzza looks a capable option at SANFL level but can’t see him playing any AFL games. He looks like a great team man though. Always has a smile on his face and was getting genuinely excited for teammates when they goaled. Just needs to learn when to go and when to let his team mate attack it instead. Will add to the group.

Williams has a Ben Brown length run up with 4 Kennedy stutters along the way. Bassett described his goal sense as ‘uncanny’, but said he needs to learn to play a bit higher up the ground because ‘Robbie Gray isn’t quite ready to retire’…

Burgoyne could surprise this year. Low touch, high reward forwards can shine brighter in the AFL than they do at SANFL level.

Drew looks class when he gets it. Needs to get more of it to push Rocky out of the side. Hope he stays healthy and takes the next step this year. Needs to lift his possession numbers or he is at risk of having an Andrew Moore type career.

Grundy has learnt how to spoil. He’s getting very good at it. Just needs to get a whole lot fitter and learn how to football and he’ll be a prospect.

Ebert. Not sure where he fits anymore. Think he looks best deep forward to be honest. Almost a liability anywhere else.

Tobin Cox would kick 150 goals playing ammos. Old school full forward stuck in a Brett Ebert body.

Excellent write up, agree that Marshall is in training to be the next Hoff - he needs another year but he’s perfect for the job.

Some of my observations.

I liked what I saw from Buzza. If he plays AFL it will be to replace an injured Dixon and his job will be to crash packs and bring the ball to the ground. He did that on Saturday.

Williams is exciting. What I liked in particular about his snap goal was that it wasn't a snap at all. He got the ball in traffic and ran straight at the goals. He seems to play with a "get ball, kick goal" mentality. Needed at Port. I suspect the thing keeping him out of the frame at the moment is the GPS. If he could hack the computer and swap his numbers with Ebert, he'd be in.

Hayes was very good in ruck, although I'm not sure about the quality of the opposition. The change in the game came not because Hayes took the ball from the contest but because the Calves started to rove to him- that made him take the ball from the contest. He was dominant but did he play forward at all? I didn't see him do that. I want to see him split his time 75/25 and kick 1 goal a game.

I wouldn't read too much into Ebert's game. I suspect he was there to get some confidence around the ball after his concussions last year as he may need to play on ball before Wines returns. His courage was noticeable. His skills were down but he offers two things at AFL level- he runs all day and he is an elite mark for a midfielder making him a good link up option around the ground and a target inside 50. Footy is a game of "run, kick, catch" and he is excellent at two of those.

Burgoyne's goal was (dare I say it) siwlk. Woodcock was creative. Drew was classy. Atley was good.

Finally, Lienert's game has gone under the radar. The Calves struggled to get the ball out of their defensive 50. We didn't. That was because Lienert was able to kick over the defensive lines. He didn't blast it. He picked out players or found a one-on-one contest in the centre of the ground. This skill can't be underestimated. This is why McKenzie is in the A's at the moment. Moving Houston into the midfield opened up a spot for a kicker from defence. Lienert was also solid with ball in hand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back