Umps were a worry

Remove this Banner Ad

meto

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 3, 2008
south-east
AFL Club
Geelong
Thought we got nothing first half, especially at the centre clearance after goaling, and all over they were tough on our boys I thought.

Agree. I kept thinking back to the bookies going on T.V and virtually begging people to put money on the Saints, and was worried the umpires may have been paid off. :eek: A bit crazy I know, but I was generally worried how easily St.Kilda were getting paid frees & we were getting nothing.

Though the umpiring was better in the second half when the umps decided to lay off the whistle.

Agree. I kept thinking back to the bookies going on T.V and virtually begging people to put money on the Saints, and was worried the umpires may have been paid off. :eek: A bit crazy I know, but I was generally worried how easily St.Kilda were getting paid frees & we were getting nothing.

Though the umpiring was better in the second half when the umps decided to lay off the whistle.

Yeah the umps did decide to lay of the whistle in the last quarter, boo to the umps

Seriously, with all this margin betting it is a huge issue. I'd like to know the AFL's stance on umpires and gambling

And it's happened before. google 'tim donaghy'. This NBA referee was convicted of affecting the points spread of games

After viewing the game a second time - I don't think anybody could say Geelong had the majority of 'iffy' decisions made by the umps. Certainly the poor goal umpiring decision that gave Hawkins kick a goal was bad, but equally the decision to give a second kick after a Milburn spray was a bit over the top.

However Milburn should know better - and the rules do state the umpire is within his rights to do what he did. So, given we won the game and got a goal that wasn't, I can live with the poor umpiring decisions in the first half. The game was so much better when they put the whistle away, notably in the last quarter.

Perhaps the free against MIlburn was correct BUT it should have gone back to the middle. That was a gimme goal that St Kilda failed to capitalise on.
The Hawkins goal did it bounce off or did it missed by a mm.
Umpiring very ordinary- how many times did aSt Kilda player take the ball over the line. Many, many.

There were a few dicey ones! But that being said we won, so I won't complain. The Milburn decision was a digrace, as was the two deliberate out of bounds calls. They hadn't paid it all day then gave both teams one in critical parts of the match!

At some stages the umpires weren't willing to blow their whistle at anything. Which there were a lot of frees going both ways that should have been paid but weren't. At other times they were going way over the top on calling things. Inconsistent yet again but expected. We won so i can't really complain.

How about that free right at the end when we had ball locked in defensive 50??

I just knew the umps would look for a free to get it out of there and give saints a chance to get closer. And it happened

Did anyone have a good view of the free and what it was for?

It look liked they let it go more in the second half, whilst the free's may have been 5-6 in favor of the saint's it felt like we were still butchered.

Also it was like they (umps) caved to outside pressure's and inuendo on GA'Jnr & Selwood free's for, as there was one or two instances where both our boys were crucified; yet it was called play on.

Very much like in the stats too, i couldnt beleive the numbers against us when looking at the stats tables at the 1/4 time breaks !? and we were still in the game....i was thinking to myself is this surreal....:cool::mad::(:):D:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maxy helped the bookies out though when he kicked that last goal. Saved them from paying out all the people who put money on the Saints with the get out goal. :thumbsu:

I heard that goal cost bookmakers and the TAB 10 million bucks

gotta love Max

I dont know what you are complaining about the umps were good the just let it go a bit and thats what you want them to do not to blow the whislte every 30 seconds and especially in a grand final they were only going to pay them if they were really obvious. If it was a home and away game they would have paid more but not in a GF. the umpiring was fair for both sides so quit complaianing.

I thought the upiring was pretty good. They could have paid dozens of "incorrect disposals" or "in the backs" because of the nature of a wet game, but let it go. A few errors obviously but did well adjusting the to the condtions. You'd like to see one like the milburn one let go with a stern warning in a gf, and we were lucky with hawkins "goal", but it evened out.

Much prefer the umpires letting it flow to blowing the whistle every 20 seconds.

There were a few dicey ones! But that being said we won, so I won't complain. The Milburn decision was a digrace, as was the two deliberate out of bounds calls. They hadn't paid it all day then gave both teams one in critical parts of the match!

I was ok with the Milburn one when I though it was becuase he gave the umpires a spray and called them cheats.

To find out it was becuase he put up two fingers and said that is the second one today made me re think it a little.

But in the end Geelong won and I could care less about it now.

I thought that both Dal Santo and Hayes were given a few very soft frees early. As people have said after half time I didn't notice them too much. The hold on Schneider in the last quarter was one that went our way.

Have heard it said that umps(at least the good ones) don't like players who go over the top faking it and are reluctant to award them anything. I think that's what might have happened to Schneider as a result of his earlier blatant faking. Also they seemed to have thrown away the whistle at that point.

That was okay - the rule is if you bounce the ball while being tackled it's holding the ball

I'd say the rule is wrong, but not the actual decision

You could hardly call that a tackle :eek:

You could hardly call that a tackle :eek:

Yeah, its a dodgy rule, i remember byrnesy getting pinged for it at the end of a huge run into 50 along the boundary. :thumbsdown:

The thing is though, i reckon that wojak released the ball before having his jumper held onto, so technically he didn't dispose of the ball while being tackled, it was a split second beforehand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back