Preview Unmarked, Unseen, Unfulfilled: Where Is U?

Remove this Banner Ad

We've had players from all walks of life, exhibiting an array of talents and abilities, earning their place in our club's storied history. Gray, Treadrea, Boak, to name a few. Yet, there is a peculiar absence that stands out amongst the many names we've had on our list - at least, in the AFL - the letter U.

Despite the hundreds of players that have donned our colours, we've never had a player, first name or surname, that begins with U. This intriguing factoid has likely been a hot topic of conversation amongst players and even the coaching staff. It's not a matter of significance in terms of the game itself, but it's a quirky trivia that remains yet unfulfilled.

As I pen this post in 2023, I'm setting up a long-term thread, a virtual monument to our quest for a player whose name begins with U. This thread is more than a simple forum post; it's a time capsule, a marker of our current moment and our anticipation for what's to come.

The excitement for this momentous occasion is already building. We all look forward to the day when we can welcome our pioneer U to the fold. To the fortunate individual who will have the honor of being this pioneer, know that we are already cheering for you. Whoever you may be, and whenever you may join us, I want to extend an early wish of the best of luck to you at PAFC, Mr or Mrs U.

You will not only be making a mark with your unique name but also carrying the hopes and dreams of our club. Here's to the future, and here's to you, U. In the years to come - 10, 20, or even 50 years down the line, we eagerly await the day this thread is bumped with the exciting news of your arrival.

(Honorary mention to Xavier Duursma, who is notable the the literal double U in his name)

We've had players from all walks of life, exhibiting an array of talents and abilities, earning their place in our club's storied history. Gray, Treadrea, Boak, to name a few. Yet, there is a peculiar absence that stands out amongst the many names we've had on our list - at least, in the AFL - the letter U.

Despite the hundreds of players that have donned our colours, we've never had a player, first name or surname, that begins with U. This intriguing factoid has likely been a hot topic of conversation amongst players and even the coaching staff. It's not a matter of significance in terms of the game itself, but it's a quirky trivia that remains yet unfulfilled.

As I pen this post in 2023, I'm setting up a long-term thread, a virtual monument to our quest for a player whose name begins with U. This thread is more than a simple forum post; it's a time capsule, a marker of our current moment and our anticipation for what's to come.

The excitement for this momentous occasion is already building. We all look forward to the day when we can welcome our pioneer U to the fold. To the fortunate individual who will have the honor of being this pioneer, know that we are already cheering for you. Whoever you may be, and whenever you may join us, I want to extend an early wish of the best of luck to you at PAFC, Mr or Mrs U.

You will not only be making a mark with your unique name but also carrying the hopes and dreams of our club. Here's to the future, and here's to you, U. In the years to come - 10, 20, or even 50 years down the line, we eagerly await the day this thread is bumped with the exciting news of your arrival.

(Honorary mention to Xavier Duursma, who is notable the the literal double U in his name)
Would Davies-Uniacke count if we signed him next year?

Would Davies-Uniacke count if we signed him next year?
An interesting question that takes us into a fascinating philosophical debate on the nature of names and the very essence of our U quest. On the surface, one might be tempted to say yes, as he does indeed have a capitalised U in his name. But is our pursuit simply of a nominal U, or is it something more profound?

Our search for a player with a name starting with U is not just a literal hunt for a letter. It's about the excitement of the unknown, the thrill of discovery, and the joy of breaking a pattern that has persisted throughout our club's AFL history. It's about finding that one player who, by virtue of their name, stands out from the rest.

If we were to accept Davies-Uniacke, would it truly satisfy this quest? Or would it feel like an asterisk, a compromise on the purity of our journey?

Didn't take too much searching

View attachment 1689090
in the AFL
I appreciate your input and I realise now that my original post may not have been as clear as intended. While I did mention AFL, it seems that detail may not have been as prominent as it should've been. Apologies for the confusion. To make sure we're on the same page: our current discussion and search are centered on U named players within the AFL.

Although Mr Underwood and Mr Utting certainly deserve some recognition for the names that were bequeathed unto them by their paternal lineage. A couple more honorary mentions alongside X.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back