Interviews, podcasts & upcoming media info [post media articles in relevant threads]

Remove this Banner Ad

The saddest thing about the article (well, about the history in the article) is that players like Merrett have played their heart out for a club that has not rewarded that effort by providing an quality support environment.

I also think it missed a major point - Leigh went for the 4th premiership knowing that the team was on its last legs and it would be buggered by that attempt. Bit like the Fev trade - if it worked it would be magnificent, but the consequences of failure would damage the long term interests of the club. how much of that was about Leigh becoming not just player of the century, but also coach of the century?

If we fail again this time I can't see us ever climbing out of the hole of being a feeder club. For goodness sake, keep Leigh out of all major decisions and get a interview panel made of people who have done more than hold opinions for the past 10 years.

Sad thing is that people/fans are only just starting to realise the truth but it's too late as the damage has already been done. Stafford seems to be an excellent journalist and mirrors my thoughts exactly. I can't wait for the AFL to oversee the rebuild of this club because then nobody can hide.

I also think it missed a major point - Leigh went for the 4th premiership knowing that the team was on its last legs and it would be buggered by that attempt. Bit like the Fev trade - if it worked it would be magnificent, but the consequences of failure would damage the long term interests of the club. how much of that was about Leigh becoming not just player of the century, but also coach of the century?
It wasn't only Leigh being coach of the century, it was about the Lions being the team of the century - 4 premierships in a row is something not done since the 30's. To suggest Leigh did the wrong thing is bullshit. We made the GF despite being screwed over by the AFL, and fell over at the end through injuries. Anyone who says it wasn't worth going for is full of crap. No doubt the Lions were going to fall off a cliff soon after, but we played finals 5 years later. It was the misguided recruiting at the end of 2009 that doomed the team... coupled with them bottoming out through the GC/GWS drafts, mixed with the other s**t going on at the club.
Leigh's decision was the right one. To suggest he did it for selfish reasons is crap... he recognised he had a special team and went for it.

Last edited:
It wasn't only Leigh being coach of the century, it was about the Lions being the team of the century - 4 premierships in a row is something not done since the 30's. To suggest Leigh did the wrong thing is bullshit. We made the GF despite being screwed over by the AFL, and fell over at the end through injuries. Anyone who says it wasn't worth going for is full of crap. No doubt the Lions were going to fall off a cliff soon after, but we played finals 5 years later. It was the misguided recruiting at the end of 2009 that doomed the team... coupled with them bottoming out through the GC/GWS drafts, mixed with the other s**t going on at the club.
Leigh's decision was the right one. To suggest he did it for selfish reasons is crap... he recognised he had a special team and went for it.

I get your point, and yes it was an amazing achievement. The point I made ( badly) is that we paid an extremely high price. The clubs that are now doing what we did are managing to renew their squad while still staying at the top. Wish we had managed that.

The saddest thing about the article (well, about the history in the article) is that players like Merrett have played their heart out for a club that has not rewarded that effort by providing an quality support environment.

If we fail again this time I can't see us ever climbing out of the hole of being a feeder club. For goodness sake, keep Leigh out of all major decisions and get a interview panel made of people who have done more than hold opinions for the past 10 years.
The Board at the time made the strategic decision to go for another flag. Leigh might have recommended it but the strategy was Board approved. Perhaps a little more could have been done to future proof the side but I don't believe the strategy was wrong. I think you are being overly harsh.

FWIW, our drafting record at that time was pretty poor and drafting generally was an inexact science so there's no guarantee that a youth approach would have actually borne dividends. In the 2003 draft, we took Spaanderman which ranks among the worst decisions of all time (whoever "found" him for us should be ashamed). While the 2003 draft had a few good players, if we had more picks towards the top of the draft, there's every chance we'd have chosen a David Trotter rather than a Brent Stanton or Beau Waters.

The Board at the time made the strategic decision to go for another flag. Leigh might have recommended it but the strategy was Board approved. Perhaps a little more could have been done to future proof the side but I don't believe the strategy was wrong. I think you are being overly harsh.

FWIW, our drafting record at that time was pretty poor and drafting generally was an inexact science so there's no guarantee that a youth approach would have actually borne dividends. In the 2003 draft, we took Spaanderman which ranks among the worst decisions of all time (whoever "found" him for us should be ashamed). While the 2003 draft had a few good players, if we had more picks towards the top of the draft, there's every chance we'd have chosen a David Trotter rather than a Brent Stanton or Beau Waters.

I probably am being a bit harsh. Some days are like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leppa made the point the other night about not having the Reiwoldts and Montagnas at the club - gee it would be nice to have nailed at least one of our picks in the decade between black/power and rich/rockliff. We got nothing from a whole decade of drafts and at the end of the day that's the most damning reason we are where we are today.

Leppa made the point the other night about not having the Reiwoldts and Montagnas at the club - gee it would be nice to have nailed at least one of our picks in the decade between black/power and rich/rockliff. We got nothing from a whole decade of drafts and at the end of the day that's the most damning reason we are where we are today.
I'd say we nailed a few picks between 1997 & 2008. As always, the problem was hanging onto them.

Here's some highlights... not all absolute stars, but anyone who plays more than 100 games would be considered a success. A few missing... this is just a quick scan of the national draft.
1997: Power, Black, Shane O'Bree, Beau Macdonald.
1998: Des Headland, Craig Bolton,
1999: Jonathon Brown
2000: Ash McGrath, Jamie Charman, Martin Pike
2001: Jason Gram(?),
2002: Jared Brennen, Daniel Merrett.
2003: Jed Adcock, Michael Rischitelli
2005: Mitch Clark, Joel Patfull.
2006: Matthew Leuenberger. Suffered through injuries.
2007: Lachie Henderson. See notes re Mitch Clark, or alternately put him in the back line.
2008: Rich, Redden, Rockliff.

I'd say we nailed a few picks between 1997 & 2008. As always, the problem was hanging onto them.

Here's some highlights... not all absolute stars, but anyone who plays more than 100 games would be considered a success. A few missing... this is just a quick scan of the national draft.
1997: Power, Black, Shane O'Bree, Beau Macdonald.
1998: Des Headland, Craig Bolton,
1999: Jonathon Brown
2000: Ash McGrath, Jamie Charman, Martin Pike
2001: Jason Gram(?),
2002: Jared Brennen, Daniel Merrett.
2003: Jed Adcock, Michael Rischitelli
2005: Mitch Clark, Joel Patfull.
2006: Matthew Leuenberger. Suffered through injuries.
2007: Lachie Henderson. See notes re Mitch Clark, or alternately put him in the back line.
2008: Rich, Redden, Rockliff.

Yeah, regardless of who stayed or went that's a crap list you can't deny it. Illustrates perfectly what I said, no valuable A graders nailed between Power/Black draft + Rich/Rockliff draft*. And that's killed us. No other team would have 9 straight first and second rounders that bad, not even Melbourne/Carlton. Thankfully we picked up a couple of A-grade rookies in Drummond, Hanley and Rocky, but for some reason we butchered our top picks every year that decade, and it's a massive massive reason we've struggled so much this decade, even more so than coaching + board issues I would argue.

*Brown was a f/s, I'm talking about nailing high draft picks.

Another well put together Andrew Stafford article.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl...all-started-from-the-top-20160903-gr828v.html

"Such is Matthews' standing, both in the game and especially at the club, that no one has been prepared to challenge him. As the Lions flailed, so did Matthews, lashing the AFL at every opportunity over the introduction of the Gold Coast Suns to the competition. He may as well shake his fist at passing clouds."

Had to be done...It would be remiss of me to let this opportunity pass by...

cloud.png

Don't have fox but Gills gonna be on "On the Couch" tonight talking woman's footy and QLD footy. Be great if someone could let us know what he says about Lions and QLD :thumbsu:

Very well said mate.
And just think if we had of played that final at the Gabba instead of the G leading into the Grand Final we may not have ran out of legs in the last half. We missed out on being the greatest team ever by a half of footy. Worth the punt in anyone's language. Some of you gunning for Leigh have short memories.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back