A Section VAFA Premier 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bagman, I take a passing interest in the Claret and Stout so happy to lob in a few comments.
Big personal changes compared with last year.
A fit and firing Goss is a big plus. Banting, Batten, Pearce, Troiani, Cullity, Gilbert would have been lucky to play but a handful of games between them last year. Add big Prowse, the nippy Bewick and a couple of young guns from the Unders flag winning team like Dalbosco sauce and Hart and you have a nice new look team.
Slatts seems to have enjoyed the gig and is well respected. There have been a number of dramas with coaches in past 2-3 years as we all know. What damage that did post 16 flag is hard to gauge.
Should be a rip snorter of a game as SKOBafl are certainly up and about and the team to beat.

Very happy with a dominant SKOB on Saturday (and my coin toss tips!). Whilst there has been talk on here about a slow start for Wesley, based on previous encounters I expected a bit more fight from them so perhaps SKOB lucky to get them early. I'm sure they will get better.

Couple things that I loved seeing; Phil Edgar back for SKOB after 2-3 years overseas. What a treat to see him play again, I had no idea he was back. Doesn't appear to have lost any of his pace. Shaun Kennedy, a throwback to the old 70's/80's larriken footballer with the mo, mullet and personality. And nice to see Waite moving well, he will cause some headaches as he gets used to the style of vafa footy.
I am guessing Waite will do more than cause a few headaches. I remember what a difference Chad Jones made to Bernards 2015 premiership side. And Waite is clearly a further step up past Jones in terms of experience and skill. A fit Waite is a huge bonus for the defending champions. They look unbeatable on paper.

I am guessing Waite will do more than cause a few headaches. I remember what a difference Chad Jones made to Bernards 2015 premiership side. And Waite is clearly a further step up past Jones in terms of experience and skill. A fit Waite is a huge bonus for the defending champions. They look unbeatable on paper.

Wesley I'm sure had a few out, but the 3 I noticed missing for SKOB on Saturday were Mitch Brown, Billy Kanakis and Lachie Sullivan. I would have them as 3 of SKOB's top 5 players, possibly even the top 3 themselves. Shame too, love waching Billy play.

Agree Bagman re depth. And coupled with this is injury runs. Your Snowdogs were blessed last year with a super run and consistent team. Do you think you are stronger or weaker this year? I’m thinking slightly weaker with 16/22 GF players running out yesterday, but Tom Sull and The Chad not amongst them. Some of your kids will have improved, but some of your older guys have celebrated another birthday. Be interested in your thoughts.
Thomas is a ginormous loss for the Gazmen. OM’s are stacked with good players and their ressies are the best in the business, but top shelf talent does not run as deep at ‘Grammar’ as it does at other clubs. His loss will be huge.
Carey is another club that has come into the season weaker than last year IMO. If they do compete well, it will show that the top end of B last year was very good. I think it was.
Wesley interests me right now. A couple of posters have been telling us for a while that they will struggle early. Very hard to play catch up in A Grade. I will be keenly watching their teamsheet in the coming weeks.
Pretty excited about the Claret and Stout. I’d been hearing good things all summer. Next weeks game against little brother St Kevs will be an absolute belter. I’m already planning for my midday Orrong arrival.
Re the radio. I’m a little conflicted, which some here may understand 😆.
I think it will all work out well.
FTLOTG
Hipp

if the cap fitz..........:)

Having watched St Kevin's very closely for the last three seasons in my opinion this outfit looks potentially the best of the lot....they've got back Ginnies, Edgar, and Holden (all premiership players)....they've also added Waite, Callum Jones and John Wood....Mitch Brown and Adducci didn't play on Saturday....Sullivan, Kanakis, Hodges, Romero all VFL boys who will no doubt play some footy with them during the year....and in the 2's they had Corboy who i thought was terrific towards the end of last year, Chris Gleeson, Liam Mahoney, Charlie Ring and Tom Kerr plus probably some other young guns on the way up....the talent pool is ridiculous...Xavs and Blues certainly look like the two improvers this season but they'll have to improve by 7-8 goals to get even near this mob...

Agree Bagman re depth. And coupled with this is injury runs. Your Snowdogs were blessed last year with a super run and consistent team. Do you think you are stronger or weaker this year? I’m thinking slightly weaker with 16/22 GF players running out yesterday, but Tom Sull and The Chad not amongst them. Some of your kids will have improved, but some of your older guys have celebrated another birthday. Be interested in your thoughts.
Thomas is a ginormous loss for the Gazmen. OM’s are stacked with good players and their ressies are the best in the business, but top shelf talent does not run as deep at ‘Grammar’ as it does at other clubs. His loss will be huge.
Carey is another club that has come into the season weaker than last year IMO. If they do compete well, it will show that the top end of B last year was very good. I think it was.
Wesley interests me right now. A couple of posters have been telling us for a while that they will struggle early. Very hard to play catch up in A Grade. I will be keenly watching their teamsheet in the coming weeks.
Pretty excited about the Claret and Stout. I’d been hearing good things all summer. Next weeks game against little brother St Kevs will be an absolute belter. I’m already planning for my midday Orrong arrival.
Re the radio. I’m a little conflicted, which some here may understand 😆.
I think it will all work out well.
FTLOTG
Hipp
Who were the 6 players missing from the grand final team?

Who were the 6 players missing from the grand final team?

Hi Courage..Bagman could answer that far quicker than me. I had a look at both team sheets and noticed 6 changes. Can’t remember the exact names now. Tom Sullivan and Chad Jones being the two most notable to my un snowdog trained eye.

Hi Courage..Bagman could answer that far quicker than me. I had a look at both team sheets and noticed 6 changes. Can’t remember the exact names now. Tom Sullivan and Chad Jones being the two most notable to my un snowdog trained eye.
Add Nick Cooke (overseas), Mitch Hughes (Available soon), Jake Maher (played reserves, little underdone apparently) and Ethan Schumann (also available soon).

On a related matter, Carey team on a Saturday was missing Ashby, Ceppi, Crocker, Cushing, Sloan, Smithwick, Thompson and King from its GF team.....and 1 or 2 more. Have all those guys departed?

On a related matter, Carey team on a Saturday was missing Ashby, Ceppi, Crocker, Cushing, Sloan, Smithwick, Thompson and King from its GF team.....and 1 or 2 more. Have all those guys departed?
you'll have to wait to find out Bagman! A couple departed, a couple overseas and will come back. A couple minor injuries and due back in the next week or so Smithwick retired. The transfer list will tell you about a few others. You'll see some new faces on Saturday. There could be six or seven who didn't play that day, however some are new and some are injury returns. I wonder what your scout thought Saturday?

you'll have to wait to find out Bagman! A couple departed, a couple overseas and will come back. A couple minor injuries and due back in the next week or so Smithwick retired. The transfer list will tell you about a few others. You'll see some new faces on Saturday. There could be six or seven who didn't play that day, however some are new and some are injury returns. I wonder what your scout thought Saturday?
I honestly don’t think coach Riley scouts sides. Just watches the VAFA vision I am told. Beauty of VAFA footy is the player turnover. I believe will be a lot closer than the GF. For sure.

I honestly don’t think coach Riley scouts sides. Just watches the VAFA vision I am told. Beauty of VAFA footy is the player turnover. I believe will be a lot closer than the GF. For sure.
I hope so! We have certainly lost some very good players but have also gained some, and our younger players are a year older and a year more experienced(except for a couple straight out of school, however you would hope Vic Metro experience would serve them fairly well) I would think we were at least on a par with last year's side despite the losses, whether that is good enough, time will tell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bernards definitely stronger IMO Hipp. Genuine depth. 4th year under Mark Riley and the players play a style of footy he has developed that stands up very well against good Ammo sides. 16 premiership players yesterday plus young Sibbald (who played VFL finals last year) and one in the reserves is 18. And MITCH Hughes back after Easter. And MITCH Mahady did not play yesterday - he is back this week. Reserves won well against an OK OT side which is a good sign. Good A grade clubs have competitive reserves. I am hopeful what I saw yesterday will be a very competitive unit.
with bernards ruckman clarke battling injury bernards will look to their devloping ruckman sean okeefe (reserves) and matthew sauro (19s) after dominant games on the weekend and will definetly push their case for selection during the year.

OM's the big disappointment. Almost at full strength. Thought they would win at Elsternwick Park where they play well. Think probably too many changes and not used to playing with each other. Would expect improvement but huge game this week against Collegians.

with bernards ruckman clarke battling injury bernards will look to their devloping ruckman sean okeefe (reserves) and matthew sauro (19s) after dominant games on the weekend and will definetly push their case for selection during the year.
Clarke played on the weekend? And played the game out OK.

Ceppi, J King, L Macleod, C Thompson gone and Smithwick retired. Means you still have some talent out to come back in, which makes Saturday’s result even better. Ashby and Sloan in particular.

Happy to hear some thoughts on who should be in the team of the week after round 1 of the VAFA.

I reckon our Round 1 TOTW forward line could look like

HF: Lewis (Brighton), Waite (Skob), K.Jacksch (Carey)

FF: Goss (Xavier), M.Caven (Bernard's), M.Lock (Carey)

Maybe Pavlou on the bench? Kicked 4 and named best for Brighton. Chopper Handley also kicked 4 - Int?
Cordy kicked 4 for Uni probably starting ruckman.

FTLOTG Podcast being recorded tomorrow

Happy to hear some thoughts on who should be in the team of the week after round 1 of the VAFA.

I reckon our Round 1 TOTW forward line could look like

HF: Lewis (Brighton), Waite (Skob), K.Jacksch (Carey)

FF: Goss (Xavier), M.Caven (Bernard's), M.Lock (Carey)

Maybe Pavlou on the bench? Kicked 4 and named best for Brighton. Chopper Handley also kicked 4 - Int?
Cordy kicked 4 for Uni probably starting ruckman.

FTLOTG Podcast being recorded tomorrow
Banting from OX a must at FB. Kept the much talked about Jackson Paine quiet for 3 of the 4 quarters when the game needed to be won. Great young lad. And his cousin Cullity on the wing, racked it up at will and kicked an unbelievable goal from 40 on his left boot. Two who will become stars of the comp this year. Bewick in the middle After 30 and 3 on his debut.

45/

Player points rd1;

Uni Blues, 40/45
Old Xavs, 39/45
Old Carey, 38/45
SKOBs, 32/45
The rest under 30.

If you listen to the scuttlebutt, a number of players missing from different teams. It will be interesting to see if any "ins" result in an increase to any of these teams.

Player points rd1;

Uni Blues, 40/45
Old Xavs, 39/45
Old Carey, 38/45
SKOBs, 32/45
The rest under 30.

If you listen to the scuttlebutt, a number of players missing from different teams. It will be interesting to see if any "ins" result in an increase to any of these teams.

I think all teams will be able to keep under the 45.
Big clap to all those teams listed. Great recruiting and great to attract talent other than just the local type. Inclusive. Mix it up with many..I always say.
Love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back