2nds VFL Rd3 North Ballarat Vs Geelong Bankers Friday 22nd April Eureka Oval 7:00pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Billie's kicking is poor Cosmic Energy.
It's one of the worst in the competition. You can see by that photo just how poor his technique is. His hand leaves the ball far too soon and this means he is often hit and miss once he gets boot to ball. He doesn't have many other good traits he can fall back on either. He has excellent athleticism in terms of jumping & speed but not much else. If he had awareness and footy smarts like Enright had when he first came into the league, that would be something to get by for the meantime.

Yep , its a kicking action that reeks of failure..no guide the ball at all. You can really see he was not drilled in a good technique as a young guy.. or perhaps he just would take advice. Have a look at Blitz and see how working with a fresh clean template can do. I watched a young kid have k2k with his dad at the VFL the other week , i was noticeable how drilled he was , how repeatable. BS is another example of what might have been if he had just been drilled much earlier.

its very early to get a line on these kids. Cunico looked ordinary up to his surgery and then looked quite good afterwards for instance.

Parsons doesn't appear to have any glaring deficiencies. Good size, a frame to work with, gets around OK, nice kick but not deadly, and in a couple of games he got involved. On the other hand there is no standout attribute either. Raw is correct. We will have more of a line on how he travels when 3 or 4 more senior players join him in the team and ball movement is better across the board. Its been pretty ordinary so far (didn't see last night).

I am bullish on Bews. Watching close up in the VFL (without being too invested in the result) his pace has surprised me. It has been on show on rare occasions in the AFL but as a lock down he has had to be reactive. Last night Puopolo showed how having the pacey players out the back hurts teams. I am extrapolating here but Bews would have done better than Cheney and Laird I think it was, who were not quick enough to stop Puopolo. I have also been banging on about him being used in a more attacking role. Can play IMO.

In some ways he may bring wojo/hunt type run but at his best he may be capable of tagging those sf closer than those two. He does have the capacity to butcher it like those two.. but having Ruggles in the side means he may have less 1o1 to be concerned with and more running and creating and chase down which I think he is more natural at. If he can just overcome his little brain snaps..(he will do something really brilliant then following it with seconds with a momentum killer) he may make it. Who goes out for him..Im not sure but if he can play that role , he is not so much an Enright replacement(no one is) but presents as a defender that make our backline options less bare.

I think Murdoch like a few player that has foot speed to bring and got a leg up over a few others.. Im not sure who's spot that he took that has walked because they couldn't get a game. Hamling ?

The "only now" thing is fair because he has now reached a spot , a second tier if you like , just like a few other players that he should now be a more solid reliable player , right age and number of games/experience to step up and burden more shoulder weight like Guthrie and Caddy. Imo , its not unusual to be lenient on young players especially when trying to build a base , and climb up from that first tier.

I feel that they have decided that that second tier is where Kersten should be and they are willing to give him the chance , with less immediate pressure to hold his place , to show if he is up to it..or not. Perhaps they look at Hamling and Brown now capable , that they did most of the hard work but just didn't persist. Murdoch is one they have persisted with , he can not say he hasn't had a fair shake. Kersten getting his shot now..and in the end its all any player can ask.. to have a legit chance. A good solid bank of games to acclimatise and put their best foot forward..If they are still not appreciated after that then its best for all that they move on.
Injuries are the only thing that will get Murdoch back in and injuries will be the only thing that keeps Kertsen in.

Sure. It's the point at which such supposed 'criticism' degenerates into petty name-calling and bitter bloodymindedness concerning a player that I think all reasonable claims to objectivity have been lost.

Kudos to you for at least acknowledging that whatever kind wishes you deigned to bestow on Jordan in the past, you are now keen to see his footy career go up in smoke as soon as possible.

How you sqaure that with having the best interests of the club at heart (when it's abundantly clear that a 'win' for the club with respect to Murdoch would be better and better performances from him) is your own business.

By the way, I'm far from offended. Simply bemused.

Sorry that you disapprove of my posting style and choice of words. I should take more time construct robotic responses.

Contextualise this mate, hes 24 and is approaching 70 games of medicority. We could have someone else on the list who would be far better fitted to play murdochs role better.

Now instead of harping on about how I coin my disapproval of Murdoch you should focus on actually constructing or convincing me of why his list spot is valid. Which you haven't yet done.

It's continuing a fine tradition on this board. Murdoch isn't the first and won't be the last.
Guilty as charged your honour, Trent West,Dawson Simpson,Tom Gillies,Mitch Brown and good old TV.Not even Fred could save me this time.Murdoch I didn't pick I thought he might come good but with an improving list he might have missed his chance.

So from that photo alone, we've decided Billy Smedts is anorexic and can't kick based off that pic. Think you guys may be looking into it too much.
Correct.
We have no idea at what speed he's moving and how far he's trying to kick it.
The ball drop is always different if you're travelling and trying to kick it 60.

In no shape or form is he an elite kick. But he's nowhere near the worst in the league either.

Yep , its a kicking action that reeks of failure..no guide the ball at all. You can really see he was not drilled in a good technique as a young guy.. or perhaps he just would take advice. Have a look at Blitz and see how working with a fresh clean template can do. I watched a young kid have k2k with his dad at the VFL the other week , i was noticeable how drilled he was , how repeatable. BS is another example of what might have been if he had just been drilled much earlier.
It's interesting what basic flaws get through the cracks in the early years,players bouncing the ball after 2 or 3 steps really grinds my gears.

It's interesting what basic flaws get through the cracks in the early years,players bouncing the ball after 2 or 3 steps really grinds my gears.
But what if you immediately realise you're about to carry it 15m and know there is no one on your heal to tackle you after 3 steps?

And depending on the player, a bounce can settle a player.
What really annoys me is when a guy runs 10, thinks "oh crap, I better bounce this or get rid of it" panics and just turns it over.

Taylor is one who bounces early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if GHS, who is named in the VFL bests and leads the stats sheet every week, is nothing more than a "good VFL player", what does that make Murdoch, who can't even make an impression at that level? That a 60-game, automatically selected AFL player over the last few years can't impose himself on a VFL game is a worry.
Agree with the assessment of Murda. Dont agree he is cooked - but he needs to get confidence back to get back to his best. And the VFL is the place for that.
IMO, he gets the time he needs down there to get it done but as a senior player he needs to be reversing the worrying trend over the next few weeks for sure.

Go Catters

Agree with the assessment of Murda. Dont agree he is cooked - but he needs to get confidence back to get back to his best. And the VFL is the place for that.
IMO, he gets the time he needs down there to get it done but as a senior player he needs to be reversing the worrying trend over the next few weeks for sure.

Go Catters
Maybe not cooked but simmering and his biggest worry is there is now starting to be a queue lining up for spots.

Maybe not cooked but simmering and his biggest worry is there is now starting to be a queue lining up for spots.
Thats gonna be the interesting point. Will he go back, take it on board, and work to get back into it? Or will he go all Taylor Hunt and just not dig deeper and look elsewhere and fade away.

Its all on him to make the changes and get his way back.

Go Catters

Billie's kicking is poor Cosmic Energy.
It's one of the worst in the competition.
You can see by that photo just how poor his technique is. His hand leaves the ball far too soon and this means he is often hit and miss once he gets boot to ball. He doesn't have many other good traits he can fall back on either. He has excellent athleticism in terms of jumping & speed but not much else. If he had awareness and footy smarts like Enright had when he first came into the league, that would be something to get by for the meantime.

A gross exaggeration if I have ever heard one.

Thats gonna be the interesting point. Will he go back, take it on board, and work to get back into it? Or will he go all Taylor Hunt and just not dig deeper and look elsewhere and fade away.

Its all on him to make the changes and get his way back.

Go Catters
I get the feeling Geelong are happy to look at their options as well so we might see a few trialled at least up to the half way mark of the season.

Sorry that you disapprove of my posting style and choice of words. I should take more time construct robotic responses.

Unsurprisingly you've continuing to atrributing comments to me that I clearly never made. Nobody is interested in reading the same view ad infinitum around here. I simply expressed the view that it's a very curious position for a supporter of the club to take when they attack and impugn a current player and then claim their derision and abuse is comfortably aligned with the best interests of the GFC.

Now instead of harping on about how I coin my disapproval of Murdoch you should focus on actually constructing or convincing me of why his list spot is valid. Which you haven't yet done.

Only problem there is...I never set out to defend Murdoch's list spot in this thread. My view on that matter makes no difference to my point here.

Whether Murdoch deserves to be on the list or not, the only salient matter for me is that he is on the list. And thus gets my support and encouragement to be the best player he can be for the GFC.

In the end, I'll have to decline your utterly disingenous suggestion that you would be interested in having a reasoned discussion about the merits of Murda as an AFL player. Because your posting history regarding our #21 makes it abundantly clear that you are in no position to be reasonable about what Jordan brings to the club at all.

Unsurprisingly you've continuing to atrributing comments to me that I clearly never made. Nobody is interested in reading the same view ad infinitum around here. I simply expressed the view that it's a very curious position for a supporter of the club to take when they attack and impugn a current player and then claim their derision and abuse is comfortably aligned with the best interests of the GFC.

Only problem there is...I never set out to defend Murdoch's list spot in this thread. My view on that matter makes no difference to my point here.

Whether Murdoch deserves to be on the list or not, the only salient matter for me is that he is on the list. And thus gets my support and encouragement to be the best player he can be for the GFC.

In the end, I'll have to decline your utterly disingenous suggestion that you would be interested in having a reasoned discussion about the merits of Murda as an AFL player. Because your posting history regarding our #21 makes it abundantly clear that you are in no position to be reasonable about what Jordan brings to the club at all.

Christ mate I cant be stuffed even reading or replying to this. Murdochs a hack my opinion deal with it.

Guilty as charged your honour, Trent West,Dawson Simpson,Tom Gillies,Mitch Brown and good old TV.Not even Fred could save me this time.Murdoch I didn't pick I thought he might come good but with an improving list he might have missed his chance.

He is contracted until the end of 2018.he will be back,he just needs to find some form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back