Society/Culture Victoria Cross winner Ben Roberts-Smith - Allegations of war crimes

Remove this Banner Ad

I think there has been a powerfulmedia, tall poppy campaign against some in the military though.

As they say in most profession, those who cant do, teach.

In this instance, I do worry that, say , if it was a chinese army person or japanese in the same conversation.
They would do.

If, you have all this self reflection, etc, after the fact stuff, you undermine the mikitary process.

Why does this need to be spoken about or investigated away from the military?

Do we not trust the military?

I'll give you a tip sport, you don't need to be in the military to know that killing unarmed and bound soldiers is morally reprehensible.

Goodness.

No wonder people are not wanting to join our forces.

This is a very very dangerous move.
This should remain a military issue, not to be played out in front of covilian Australian and the media.
Decisions made by non Military.

At this rate we will have no forces........

I do wonder at the timing of this by Sco mo, it gets the sexist bullying of the Libs off the front page.

I could not disagree more. Forget defunding the police, defund the military and SAS.

Can I ask if anyone here critizing the militaryhave ever been innsaid military, have ever served overseas to protect us?

The Military has its processess and protocols.

Basically it appears some are saying, hey, us civilians can oversee and judge, and we are correct in what we do.

Slippery slope.

Our enemies are loving this, watching us decline in inner strength.

LOL no-one has served overseas "to protect us" since 1945.

Sensational. I hope you enjoy being apart of China tommorrow..

seriously silly though process you have there.

There is about as much chance of China launching an invasion of Australia as there is the Martians landing on the White House lawn. Why do it militarily when you can just do it economically?

I'm all for civil defense, but our bloated military is a ridiculous waste of taxpayer money and fosters a horrible culture as evidenced in these findings. A defense force is fine, but we haven't needed a defense force since 1945.

Makes you wonder why if the ADF has such cultural problems, why have our last two Governors General been drawn from their ranks?
Its a culture where you are stripped bare of who you are (or could be) and you are remolded into what the ADF wants you to be

Its a very sick environment that is racist, bigotted and mysoginist to its very core

But that had nothing to do with protecting Australia or the USA for that matter
It was about preventing the Taliban from ceasing a Country (a Orginisation not in any conflict with us)
They still got on a plane, went to another country and were fired on and bombed by people wanting tokill them.
Our country sent them, they didnt decide to hop on a plane to go on a holiday there.

i dont agree with killing anything or anyone, but.....I surre as hell wouldnt trust anyone in Afghanistan, period.

They still got on a plane, went to another country and were fired on and bombed by people wanting tokill them.
Our country sent them, they didnt decide to hop on a plane to go on a holiday there.

i dont agree with killing anything or anyone, but.....I surre as hell wouldnt trust anyone in Afghanistan, period.

so everyone in afghanistan is fair game? civilians, elderly, children

and you wonder why we dont want the adf setting their own rules for what is unjust and criminal if you're in favour of treating an entire nations population as combatants

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But you just shifted the discussion from 'Protecting us' to 'Killing people in a foreign land'

Which one would you like to discuss?

Its a culture where you are stripped bare of who you are (or could be) and you are remolded into what the ADF wants you to be

Its a very sick environment that is racist, bigotted and mysoginist to its very core
My step brother went through Duntroon in the late 80s/early 90s and it hasn't done him any favours.

They participated in the invasion of a sovereign nation, of course they were fired on and bombed.

Sensational. I hope you enjoy being apart of China tommorrow..

seriously silly though process you have there.

The above point was a fair one. China would probably prefer a soft take over of the world instead of invading or nuking.

Maybe outside of asia.

Maybe Indonesia? If they get up and about

They / we were doing the invading..

They were our friends when they were fighting Russians .. (some Afghans

The military answer to the government, the government answers to the people. They act in our name, if they murdered unarmed civilians, I hope they rot in jail. Putting on a uniform doesn't absolve you of basic decency.

Maybe in a 1960s theory book but in reality they serve corporate interest.

In many ways we are essentially a middling American state geopolitically. And even trump has sort of called out the military-industrial complex.

What threat exactly was the unarmed and bound soldier who was (allegedly) ruthlessly murdered by our troops?

Can I ask if anyone here critizing the militaryhave ever been innsaid military, have ever served overseas to protect us?

The Military has its processess and protocols.

Basically it appears some are saying, hey, us civilians can oversee and judge, and we are correct in what we do.

Slippery slope.

Our enemies are loving this, watching us decline in inner strength.

There is no slippery slope here, we are on firm ground and the slippery slope is to let the military do there own thing in secret and without scrutiny.

It is two of the basic fundamentals of western democracy that (a) the military should should under civilian control, and (b) that there should be a free press. Stifling either of these two principles is the slippery slope.

personally, I would not like to see our troops roaming about in another country carrying out random killings of unarmed civilians. That is not what they are there to do, the express purpose of them being there was to fight the Taliban. Killing random civilians has the effect of driving the local population into the arms of the Taliban. Nothing like hatred for foreign interference as a recruiting tool. I'd rather our forces stayed home than went out there and made matters worse.

I agree with a lot of the points here.

but we need to remember and learn from what happened in Vietnam. Ie who is friend or foe in a foreign country.

Now that we are denegrating and people are calling for defunding the military in Australia, has anyone got an alternative?

Plus.

This reminds me of the time after the Vietnam War and our troops came hone, to being treat very poorly.
We are lumping the whole of the military in the same boat here.
Imagine how they are feeling.

This is an onion being peeled back, not by an onion but by a Turnip.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back