Scandal Victorian AFL dominance leads to investigation?

Remove this Banner Ad

And yet there is no talk of inquests into why non Vic clubs cant do the same, not that id want one held.

Imagine being the biggest league in the land, with the oldest clubs, the GF on your doorstep for the next couple of decades and still having your arse handed to you for 6 years by non Vic clubs.
Then you hold an inquest into why you are sh*t at your own game before opening up 80 more spots to recruit from and then introduce FA for key players to walk home in their prime.
There's actually a structural advantage to the best Victorian team in any normal season purely because of the travel factor, not any specific team or because of any sinister plot. Not that you'll get anyone in the AFL to admit it.

Clearly the mods moving this thread are in the AFL's court that there's nothing to see here.

I guess threads abouy home games at Kardinia Park, or an AFL team from Tasmania, or Melbourne being the forefather of football belongs on the main page, but criticism of the Victorian bias of the AFL doesn't.

This being the AFL which is headed by a South Australian and chaired by a West Australian? Oh yes that's right, they somehow count as Victorians now.

OK so let’s just say that the AFL investigate this and they find that there is something going on with Victorian teams dominating. Is this just something that they are curious about or is this something that they’ll act upon?

Interested to know where this leads to but the MCG contract apparently locking the Grand Final to the MCG (outside of extenuating circumstances) until 2057 signed only a few years ago tells me that this is more posturing than actually wanting to act on disparities they find between Victorian and non-Victorian clubs.

The AFL needs to create more academies for the interstate teams, they currently clearly do not have enough top of the line talent available to them and no one else.
1. We are not an interstate team
2. Your indigenous academy rules are far more generous than ours.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So benefits your club there's no discussion = nothing to see here?

No games in Victoria wasnt enough. What more do the interstate teams need?

Port continue with a failing coach. Crows shot themselves in the foot. Swans made a terrible selection on GF day and most of thrm didnt turn up, GCS and GWS arent real teams, Freo won a final and are improving, Brisbane won 2 finals and are improving.

What do you want from the AFL ? Should thry install their own management teams?

No games in Victoria wasnt enough. What more do the interstate teams need?

Port continue with a failing coach. Crows shot themselves in the foot. Swans made a terrible selection on GF day and most of thrm didnt turn up, GCS and GWS arent real teams, Freo won a final and are improving, Brisbane won 2 finals and are improving.

What do you want from the AFL ? Should thry install their own management teams?
Victorian teams having better players due to Free agency, outside salary cap opportunities would override any argument you can come up with.

There is no argument. Victorian teams are benefitting from these advantages, coincidentally these came into affect after the 2007 investigation.

Victorian teams having better players due to Free agency, outside salary cap opportunities would override any argument you can come up with.

There is no argument. Victorian teams are benefitting from these advantages, coincidentally these came into affect after the 2007 investigation.

Those free agents get divided by 10 teams and they often feed on eachother.

WA and SA have plenty of home grown players who return. As academies are around longer there will be more NSW and QLD players too.

Bump. Two more years of data that clearly shows a Victorian dominance that doesn't look like ending anytime soon.

When's the investigation?
I hate to break it to you.... There will be no investigation... Unless there is a repeat of 2006 where all of the preliminary final sides are all non Vic sides like west coast, swans, crows and Freo.

If freo finished above all 10 Victorian sides like they did in 2006, then there will be an investigation.

I think you are actually missing the whole point of my original posts and misinterpreting this thread.

I am not stating that Port specifically have been hard done by and deserve the premiership or that the hawks and Richmond didn’t deserve their premierships or recruit well.

The thread is a discussion about why Victorian teams have won majority of recent GFs over interstate teams and this was simply a potential reason why we have seen that. It is not the only reason, but it potentially plays a part in why we have seen two dynasties over the past decade.

As I have previously mentioned, numerous interstate teams have come very close on multiple occasions to winning Gfs over the last 10 years which is relevant to the discussion as a number of those teams lost high draft positions when the concessions were in place.

Fremantle, Adelaide and Swans have lost GFs while lions and Port have lost Prelims. Players drafted during those concession drafts are now in their prime and could have made a difference depending how the draft would have unfolded if that wasn’t the case with GC and GWS.

If that was the case and these interstate teams won these GFs, this thread would not exist. I will also say that I am in no way saying this is the only reason they lost and it’s all a big anti-vic conspiracy. of course, we will never know how the drafts would have unfolded if the expansion teams didn’t exist but every team in the comp would have very different lists.

If you cant have an open discussion without for some reason taking offence or think it’s an attack on your side then so be it.
The damning thing about the hawks 3 peat, Freo was the one that wasn't thrashed in the grand final.

Swans were belted in 2014 and eagles were smashed in 2015. Both of those clubs had the fire power upfront to hurt the hawks.

Saying that, as a long suffering dockers fan, I will always savour the 2012-15 finals era.

But looking at that 2014 finals series. I wished Freo lost round 23 vs port at Subiaco. Going out in straight sets hurt.

I would of rather of got 5th and faced the tigers in WA in an Elim final

So benefits your club there's no discussion = nothing to see here?
No point complaining about the AFL. Good look how the WA teams have reacted.

West coast fans complain the most. The AFL won't bother to listen.

Freo dockers fans are smart. They won't waste energy complaining to the AFL as they won't listen to the dockers either.

Only thing you can do is control what's in your hands and improve your club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back